Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

18 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Luiz linked to Roma again. Could only be let go if we had a better player lined up to come in.

Honestly, I wouldn’t bat an eyelid if we sold Luiz and Nakamba. Both of the frustrate me massively and there is only so long we can wait for Luiz to come good. If we sold both and signed perhaps Doucoure and McKennie (or 2 others I’ve not heard of) I’d be over the moon. 

We’re not very good at selling players. Purslow and Smith have always said that we don’t want to stockpile players and when the time is right, we need to move players on if the fee is right. We’ve got the best out of Nakamba and el Ghazi, they’re not going to get any better so let’s move them on and back our scouts to find better. Luiz is a little different because he is young, but again, we need better so let’s try and level up. 

We have all that Grealish money and a negative net spend this window. I’m not saying we should blow it on players for spendings sake but there must be players out there that can improve us and it’s a good time for a complete shake up. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Not happening 

no i dont see it

they already have crisante, veretout, pellegrini, villar, diawara they've got a decent enough midfield without adding £30m+ luiz to it

their interest in el ghazi i can see but not another expensive midfielder

• Thanks 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

no i dont see it

they already have crisante, veretout, pellegrini, villar, diawara they've got a decent enough midfield without adding £30m+ luiz to it

their interest in el ghazi i can see but not another expensive midfielder

I can’t see why we would let him go, we’ve already been in a scenario with multiple new faces having to gel selling another established first team midfielder wouldn’t be in our best interest 

• Like 4

It’s too late to dismantle any areas of the team or disturb the core/spine. It would be too disruptive.

McGinn and Luiz are our starting CM & DM… I think there’s only room for one addition in there right now but we can, of course, bring in players to bed in. My point is, we can’t really afford to sell any starters right now and it would set us back heavily… the only candidates are Conor and Marv.

If we wanted to make a significant change or potential upgrade in any area of the team, the best time to do it would’ve been early in the window, such as when we signed Buendia. Not always as easy as it sounds but I assume that would always be the intention.

Best to just add to what we have now…

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It’s too late to dismantle any areas of the team or disturb the core/spine. It would be too disruptive.

McGinn and Luiz are our starting CM & DM… I think there’s only room for one addition in there right now but we can, of course, bring in players to bed in. My point is, we can’t really afford to sell any starters right now and it would set us back heavily… the only candidates are Conor and Marv.

If we wanted to make a significant change or potential upgrade in any area of the team, the best time to do it would’ve been early in the window, such as when we signed Buendia. Not always as easy as it sounds but I assume that would always be the intention.

Best to just add to what we have now…

Yeah I agree, I don't see the benefit in selling Luiz now, he's clearly part of Smith's plans after comnig straight back in and starting. It's also why we won't sell El Ghazy despite people wanting him gone, he's currently starting and will be back up for Bailey when he's fit. It's only the bit part players that might be off.

If we do bring one more midfielder in then it'll probably be someone to play alongside Luiz and McGinn, but I could also see Smith putting his faith in Sanson for that spot, so I imagine it'll be a quiet end to the window, with maybe one midfielder in if Hourihane departs, but not much more unless a goalkeeper becomes available.

Edited by RichiBoi11

13 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Yeah I agree, I don't see the benefit in selling Luiz now, he's clearly part of Smith's plans after comnig straight back in and starting. It's also why we won't sell El Ghazy despite people wanting him gone, he's currently starting and will be back up for Bailey when he's fit. It's only the bit part players that might be off.

If we do bring one more midfielder in then it'll probably be someone to play alongside Luiz and McGinn, but I could also see Smith putting his faith in Sanson for that spot, so I imagine it'll be a quiet end to the window, with maybe one midfielder in if Hourihane departs, but not much more unless a goalkeeper becomes available.

Makes sense but I prefer the wait and see approach, end of transfer windows usually bring up some surprises or big deals…

I do believe we’re focussing on getting players out now and that may well mean we make another move or two in the market once those deals are finalised. Wes has gone, Conor and probably Fred are off too. Maybe Marv also but that only makes sense if we’re bringing in an upgrade 🤞

Hopefully another shock signing like Ings is on the cards…

Not the end of the world if we don’t make more signings but it really is a good opportunity for us to strengthen where we can… gives us a much better chance of progressing and finishing higher up the league.

Why leave ourselves short or with significant weaknesses? We can phase out or sell other players further down the line too…

Edited by Jas10

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Makes sense but I prefer the wait and see approach, end of transfer windows usually bring up some surprises or big deals…

I do believe we’re focussing on getting players out now and that may well mean we make another move or two in the market once those deals are finalised. Wes has gone, Conor and probably Fred are off too. Maybe Marv also but that only makes sense if we’re bringing in an upgrade 🤞

Hopefully another shock signing like Ings is on the cards…

Not the end of the world if we don’t make more signing but it really is a good opportunity for us to strengthen where we can… gives us a much better chance of progressing and finishing higher up the league. Why leave ourselves short or with significant weaknesses?

I completely agree, and I'd love to see us make moves for a couple of quality players to improve the first 11, I just get the impression with Smith's comments and the fact focus seems to have shifted on moving players on, that there isn't much more coming in. That said, Dean has always said whenever we are done it's only unless the right deal comes along, so deadline day could be interesting. I have faith in the scouts and Lange now that 'the right deal' is no longer a Borja Baston so hopefully there's still a surprise round the corner for us.

Just now, RichiBoi11 said:

I completely agree, and I'd love to see us make moves for a couple of quality players to improve the first 11, I just get the impression with Smith's comments and the fact focus seems to have shifted on moving players on, that there isn't much more coming in. That said, Dean has always said whenever we are done it's only unless the right deal comes along, so deadline day could be interesting. I have faith in the scouts and Lange now that 'the right deal' is no longer a Borja Baston so hopefully there's still a surprise round the corner for us.

Yep… tbh I never pay “too much” heed to comments by Dean and Purslow… makes no sense to reveal the inner workings or thinking/strategy of the club and running a tight ship leaves us in a better bargaining position. They’ve made statements before and not adhered to them 100%. And that’s completely fine.

I would agree that Dean has faith in his players and wants to stand by them but he’s also been ruthless and taken the opportunity to enhance the team when and where possible…

Yes, I think we’re always on the lookout and will seal deals that look attractive and provide significant value… those at the club know what they are doing in all departments nowadays. How refreshing…

• Like 3

20 hours ago, AXD said:

Same could be said about Norwich, who even have more experience in the PL. I'm not saying Brentford can't do well and perform like sheffield or wolves in their first season, but more often newly promoted teams struggle. Especially those coming up through the play-off final. Our own club as an example: on paper we had a good team with mings, mcginn, heaton and one of the greatest talents in England with Grealish. A good manager, strong support, wealthy owners,... everything to succeed and we still struggled because the step-up to the PL is massive. For every Sheffield (1 lucky season was followed by a horrible one) or Wolves, you have twice as many Fulhams, Norwichs, WBAs or even to a lesser extent Newcastle or Brighton (lower mid-table at best).

So yes any team has the potential with a bit of luck, but to state this as a certainty is farfetched. I hope for Brentford to avoid relegation, but expect a difficult season. Happy to be proven wrong.

I agree with est1874, I think Brentford are the best positioned (assuming they don't suffer injury to key players) to stay up of the promoted teams:

• They have a front foot way of football that is well developed and well drilled - a little like Leeds but more pragmatic (at least to the initial Leeds).  There was a recent TIFO article that explained really well the way that they play and recruit into that style of play.
  • As mentioned above, their recruitment is very smart.
  • They have kept their best players from the Championship (last season) and have built a consistent squad over their time in the Championship and haven't had to make wholesale changes like we and Fulham did.

It will be really interesting to see their progress.

You mentioned Sheff U - I think their big issue in their second season was largely down to poor recruitment, the loss of Henderson and a few key injuries early on?  Once they had lost that momentum they were always playing catch up.  I also think their game was better suited to playing in front of crowds - huge support at home and backs to the wall/never say die away from home?

58 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Honestly, I wouldn’t bat an eyelid if we sold Luiz and Nakamba. Both of the frustrate me massively and there is only so long we can wait for Luiz to come good. If we sold both and signed perhaps Doucoure and McKennie (or 2 others I’ve not heard of) I’d be over the moon. 

We’re not very good at selling players. Purslow and Smith have always said that we don’t want to stockpile players and when the time is right, we need to move players on if the fee is right. We’ve got the best out of Nakamba and el Ghazi, they’re not going to get any better so let’s move them on and back our scouts to find better. Luiz is a little different because he is young, but again, we need better so let’s try and level up. 

We have all that Grealish money and a negative net spend this window. I’m not saying we should blow it on players for spendings sake but there must be players out there that can improve us and it’s a good time for a complete shake up. 

I think it would be a mistake to sell Luiz, there is a player in there but we havent quite managed to get it right for us or him, but that doesn't mean we should sell. Get him a new contract and be patient unless Roma are willing to pay say £30m its pointless? I think the issue is the McGinn balance. Maybe its one or the other, but its rash to seel now, I am sure we will regret it in two years time.

Nakamba isnt up to it for where we want to be, that is now clear. If we can replace him great, but I think Ramsey is a decent stop gap. I dont think there will be many takers though?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I've probably missed the discussion but Sarr going to Spurs for less than 15m 

This is very disappointing news. Maybe it means we're still after Doucoure though, the fact Sarr has gone for that fee means you won't get ripped off with comparative prices from that league currently.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wonder if we’re trying to sign the lad from Juve. Isn’t going to happen but at least we’re trying. 

It's a lot like our pursuit of ESR and JWP.  At least we're desperately trying to try to add a midfielder from that next tier of quality to the squad.  Eventually we'll pull off a signing off that will surprise everyone.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

This is very disappointing news. Maybe it means we're still after Doucoure though, the fact Sarr has gone for that fee means you won't get ripped off with comparative prices from that league currently.

I think the interesting thing is that Sarr will remain in France on loan for the year, so clearly isn't "ready" just yet. I am of the opinion that we don't really need a development type signing.

Edited by PaulMcGrath_5
  • Like 2