Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, Villastine said:

Or maybe we're not weakened. 

OK let's use the phrase lose our best player then. The wording is irrelevant. The underlying issues are the important parts of my point but whatever feel free to focus on semantics and ignore the key points.

Just now, Pissflaps said:

It's alright saying that but surely we could all forsee the above happening.. enough people said it would on here alone..Nevermind the people at Villa.

You could foresee someone bidding £100m for Jack at the beginning of last season? 

You could foresee from the beginning that any and all bids for ESR and JWP were merely used for obtaining them a new contract?

If so, I am impressed. I didn't! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If we got a bid in for ElGhazi I would expect that he would be gone

Doubt it. How much would it cost to replace 11 goals in 31? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

So we bent over and allowed Grealish a release clause which we naively didn't believe would be met..it was so we are weakened. Spurs didnt allow this with Kane. Yet we all pisstake Levy.

We are drawn into bidding for two players who go onto sign new contracts for their existing teams. Pawns in the agents games used to enhance contracts at current teams. 

Whilst I am happy with the behind the scenes running overall even the most positive fan surely can see this isn't good.

you say spurs didn't allow it...we don't know that. kane's agent is an amateur who thought a gentlemans agreement was actually worth something.

i wanted kane to go spurs too for reasons others have mentioned. but it's nice to see city not getting their man for once and how salty their entitled fans are about it

5 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

So we bent over and allowed Grealish a release clause which we naively didn't believe would be met..it was so we are weakened. Spurs didnt allow this with Kane. Yet we all pisstake Levy.

We are drawn into bidding for two players who go onto sign new contracts for their existing teams. Pawns in the agents games used to enhance contracts at current teams. 

Whilst I am happy with the behind the scenes running overall even the most positive fan surely can see this isn't good.

With regard to the Kane/Grealish comparison, it’s probably worth seeing how Kane’s contract situation plays out now.

Now that it looks like he’s staying this season, that’s two years left on his contract. I can’t see Spurs getting the £160m they want for him then. If he signs a new contract, who knows what future release valuation is agreed. I don’t think Kane will want it to be as much as what Spurs want, I think Kane would have the upper hand in negotiations in that respect. 

Also, unfortunately Villa aren’t in the same position as Spurs. Despite their issues, they are still, currently, higher in the football food chain so keeping their top player is easier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Also, unfortunately Villa aren’t in the same position as Spurs. Despite their issues, they are still, currently, higher in the football food chain so keeping their top player is easier.

it might be the european equivalent of the johnsons paint trophy, but they also are technically in a european competition

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Define pursuit.

ESR was never going leave Arsenal. He's said so himself.

JWP was never leaving saints for anything like our reported £25m bid.

We will never know for sure but was our interest in either player serious.

I've dated several women out of my league over the years.  Why?  Because I asked them out when other guys immediately wrote off their chances.  

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

just me then? OK...i thought it was obvious personally

I'm sure it wasn't just you.

I have a little more faith in our board not to waste days/weeks of a transfer window bidding for a player that they know for a fact is ONLY to enable him to sign a new contract with his current club. Ultimately that is what happened but I don't think that was the only possible outcome.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

You could foresee someone bidding £100m for Jack at the beginning of last season? 

You could foresee from the beginning that any and all bids for ESR and JWP were merely used for obtaining them a new contract?

If so, I am impressed. I didn't! 

Yes. We know.man city have unlimited wealth and just cheat the rules. I reckon villa now know we could have probably actually got more for him

• Like 1

Yes. We know.man city have unlimited wealth and just cheat the rules. I reckon villa now know we could have probably actually got more for him

No, I am not asking as a question of Man City's wealth--I am asking if you KNEW someone would be £100m for him? Well, yes we could've got more for him due to his performance last season and hype around him at the Euros, that again is hindsight.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

It's alright saying that but surely we could all forsee the above happening.. enough people said it would on here alone..Nevermind the people at Villa.

You saying £100m for Grealish as a valuation over a year ago was low?

2 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

No, I am not asking as a question of Man City's wealth--I am asking if you KNEW someone would be £100m for him? Well, yes we could've got more for him due to his performance last season and hype around him at the Euros, that again is hindsight.

Therefore we set the bar too low last summer and didn't anticipate his value rising did we

Therefore we set the bar too low last summer and didn't anticipate his value rising did we

£100m for Grealish as a valuation before last season and this summer was probably about £30m over even the wildest dreams of most people on here. 

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

£100m for Grealish as a valuation before last season and this summer was probably about £30m over even the wildest dreams of most people on here. 

Maybe? I dunno I'm just tired of watching us sell our best players while teams like spuds retain theirs.