Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

You don't buy back ups. That only takes midtable clubs backwards.

Targett is good, but has his limitations. He lacks pace and his stamina isn't the best either.  Ideally we'd sign an improvement.

He has turned in some average performances since Jack's injury. His lack of pace hold us back somewhat, as one of the advantages of playing 2 holding mids is to give freedom to your fullbacks to get forward. But his lack of pace means he has to be very measured in his forays forward. This is one of the reason why his game has improved. He pick his forward forays better and is being more conservative. 

Fullback is a very important tactical position in today's game if your fullbacks lack pace they have to play in the old fashioned defensive manner and only really cross from deep when going forward. 

The thing is Targett has performed well, and so replacing him outright isn't a priority. But to buy a back up for a limited player is just a waste of money.

The ideal solution is buy a pacy young left back capable of taking Targett's place on merit and make Targett the back up. The compromise is sign a pacey young player that we expect to develop into a better left back then Targett, but isn't quite there yet.

Which is not what I was suggesting at all. The suggestion I made, or a player along these lines, would fit into the categories in your final paragraph. (Someone to develop into a better player than targett)

So, based on this, I'm not sure why you felt the need to quote me saying you wanted something different? 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I think you can buy a back up if they're at the right age or coming from a different league

Netz or katterbach or unrealistically Nuno Mendes or maybe wijndal for example comes in and spends 6 months to a year backing Targett up before overtaking him then I've got no problem with that

A 26 year old from the championship as back up then yeah I agree

If you're signing a player you believe will develop into a better player that's OK. I don’t see that a a back up. If you're signing someone simply to cover with no real aim to improve on what you have then you're going to go backwards unless that first choice is a world class player.

So I think we agree really.

4 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Which is not what I was suggesting at all. The suggestion I made, or a player along these lines, would fit into the categories in your final paragraph. (Someone to develop into a better player than targett)

So, based on this, I'm not sure why you felt the need to quote me saying you wanted something different? 

Not really because to get such a player you to spend 10 to 20m which you are suggesting we mustn't do. To get a ready made player to take Targett's place you're talking 20m plus even in the foreign market.

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Not really because to get such a player you to spend 10 to 20m which you are suggesting we mustn't do. To get a ready made player to take Targett's place you're talking 20m plus even in the foreign market.

Not necessarily. Would Lee Buchanan cost £10m to £20m? Probably not. In fact, almost certainly not. Does he have the potential to be better than targett, then absolutely why not? Derby rate him very highly. 30 appearances this season and just turned 20.

The idea is in 4/5 years time when targett starts to get a bit older... Then we have Buchanan/someone else hitting his prime and chrisene (for example) as the heir to the throne then. 

How much did Hickey cost last year? So long as we get our scouting correct, it's certainly achievable. This is the type of signing I expect us to make. We could probably spend almost our entire budget on attacking players this summer. We have to be shrewd when we are buying players in positions where the first choice is of a very good standard. 

It's easier said than done, of course. 

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

Not necessarily. Would Lee Buchanan cost £10m to £20m? Probably not. In fact, almost certainly not. Does he have the potential to be better than targett, then absolutely why not? Derby rate him very highly. 30 appearances this season and just turned 20.

The idea is in 4/5 years time when targett starts to get a bit older... Then we have Buchanan/someone else hitting his prime and chrisene (for example) as the heir to the throne then. 

How much did Hickey cost last year? So long as we get our scouting correct, it's certainly achievable. This is the type of signing I expect us to make. We could probably spend almost our entire budget on attacking players this summer. We have to be shrewd when we are buying players in positions where the first choice is of a very good standard. 

It's easier said than done, of course. 

Well I can't comment on Buchanan, know nothing about him. But if he doesn't have any pace then forget him.

I'm not talking 4 or 5 years time. I'm talking a season or two. To progress Targett won't do us for 4 or 5 seasons. He isn't that good.  Decent is how I rate him, certainly not very good. He's a do us for now as we have other priorities. I'd be very happy  if he was back up.

Edited by Philosopher

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Yes, we all want someone to provide 'stiff competition', of course. We all want someone on a si ilar level to Targett. However, that's going to cost us £15m-£20m realistically. Are we in a position to go spending huge amounts on backups?

Do many clubs spend such huge amounts on backups/competition? In our position? Our squad still needs huge work, spending large amounts on backups/competition isn't feasible. Signing a young, upcoming back up/competition is what we will do and what I'd expect us to do and want us to do. 

The big money can go on improving the first team in the areas we all know need it. 

That price bracket isn’t a huge amount.

23 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I think it said 8 goals 4 assists in the video

He now has 9 goals and 9 assists in 22 games ... more acceptable ? 😉

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jesper-lindstrom/profil/spieler/513245

RB Leipzig, Arsenal and West Ham linked with him today for €10million ... 

Edited by thabucks

20 minutes ago, thabucks said:

€10m is absolutely nothing in this current crazy world market. That’s a touch less than what we paid for a 29 year old Richard Dunne in 2009.

• Like 1

Another player that looked impressive for England U18s yesterday was Alex Scott, I've seen a few compare him to Grealish and whilst that's a lofty comparison, can kind of see where they're coming from, in the way he seemed to have a certain ease with the ball, looks to have some creativity as well. Only just signed his first professional deal with Bristol City, but could be one to look out for.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

€10m is absolutely nothing in this current crazy world market. That’s a touch less than what we paid for a 29 year old Richard Dunne in 2009.

We paid 5 million for Dunne 

5 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I think it would be a record transfer fee for a player from the Swedish league.

Edit: Just realised its Danish. Would be a record sale for Bronby.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Salad said:

Gio Reyna please😁

mentioned him a while back. It won't happen, but if the owners were intent on making a splash signing he would be probably atop the list of "quasi" realistic. Would instantly raise our profile over here and is only 18. Won't happen though sadly

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

mentioned him a while back. It won't happen, but if the owners were intent on making a splash signing he would be probably atop the list of "quasi" realistic. Would instantly raise our profile over here and is only 18. Won't happen though sadly

Same as pulisic, in 5 years time it will be the US world cup and he could potentially be the star of that team making him one of the most marketable players in world football

That's got to be worth £30-40m alone 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

he could be very acceptable but that’s what scouting and analytics are for. I’d expect out of the world stats for someone who’s really good in a league like that