Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

said this before i dont believe the release clause to be true simply on the basis that he seems too good a prospect for someone not to have triggered it by now

you dont need to wait until the window opens to buy a player, you need to wait until the window opens before you can transfer their registration, we could buy olise this afternoon - see ziyech for chelsea, they bought mid Feb last year

why are people waiting rather than trying to get in there first? that doesn't make sense...unless there isn't a clause...

No idea but we will find out this summer for sure.

9 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Some very good U21 players in the Portugal vs. England game last night. Might be worth having a look before Wolves sign all of them.

Most of em belong to Benfica, Sporting or Porto already and the rest to teams like Juve, Man U and Barcelona so won't be cheap.

On 27/03/2021 at 21:20, useless said:

I'm only basing this off highlights but Kwadwo Baah of Rochdale looks an interesting player, a move to Man City fell through in January, not sure if they're going to go back for him, but I'm sure there will be a lot of interest.

He looked quite raw, but showed some impressive moments today for England U18s, looks like someone who could develop into a really exciting player, strong, powerful and pacey, can see why Man City were linked with him. Would consider signing him and sending him on loan to the championship for a season, maybe to Reading as part of a deal for Olise.

Smith has said today that we're mostly going to be looking towards British players because of "brexit". So if anything we're more likely to be targeting the England U21 players than the Portugal U21 equivalent. I expect that we will be making moves for the likes of Callum James Hudson-Odoi, Abraham, Dan James, Tuanzebe, Maitland-Niles, Lookman, or similar players of that ilk, maybe a few from the championship as well, depending on who does and doesn't come up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Smith has said today that we're mostly going to be looking towards British players because of "brexit". So if anything we're more likely to be targeting the England U21 players than the Portugal U21 equivalent. I expect that we will be making moves for the likes of Callum James Hudson-Odoi, Abraham, Dan James, Tuanzebe, Maitland-Niles, Lookman, or similar players of that ilk, maybe a few from the championship as well, depending on who does and doesn't come up.

Musiala £40m

Would make olise an even bigger potential signing if true 

In Michael Olise, Noni Madueke from PSV and Marcus Edwards ... That’s three great young prospects who would be easily attainable and make a difference to the squad.

I do wonder if long term Cash may be pushed forward on occasion and then today’s spurious links to Max Aaron’s would make more sense if so... 

6 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Does this not mean his contract at Frankfurt expires this summer meaning his loan? He returns to Madrid to his normal contract?

Cheers, that would make sense. Never considered before that a loan would be a separate contract, but suppose it must be. Shame, think he’d be a great partner for Ollie. 

4 hours ago, useless said:

I think that is a serious mistake, the only difference it makes is it is like signing a none  eu player before be left.

• Like 2

i'm sure DS, JL, RM, and CP know what they're doing, if they say that 'Brexit' will make things harder then it probably means that that's the case. Mings, Grealish and Watkins have all been capped whilst playing for us, and a few others probably aren't far away from getting a cap either, so we should be an attractive proposition to England's best young players.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, useless said:

i'm sure DS, JL, RM, and CP know what they're doing, if they say that 'Brexit' will make things harder then it probably means that that's the case. Mings, Grealish and Watkins have all been capped whilst playing for us, and a few others probably aren't far away from getting a cap either, so we should be an attractive proposition to England's best young players.

Of course it makes it harder, it doesn’t make enough of a difference to primarily target British players because of it. We have signed none EU players before 

• Like 2

It's not me that's saying it, I've got now choice in the matter, it's DS...

"We wanted a British feel about us but that’s not to say we will turn our noses up at good deals abroad, argued Smith. We expect player recruitment to be harder because of Brexit, so young, British talent is what we’re looking for. I believe that can improve us and we believe we can improve those players as well.We can improve them, their value. The fact that they can see a clear pathway for them now with England will help too.”

Was kind of what I was expecting anyway.

I'm not sure I'm bothered where a player comes from as long as they are the quality we need and if the owners are willing to pay the premium for local players then so be it. 

There are positives and negatives both ways but I will judge each player that they bring in.  It's not like a few years ago when there was only a few British on Britain based players that we would be interested in, there is some real quality around these shores.

Does it limit us? of course.  To counter that maybe more likely those players we bring in will be able to settle quicker and probably know some of the squad like Tammy and I'm sure our players know a lot of the International U21's from the British teams.

I'm not concerned, as I say, I will judge each player individually and not get wrapped up that they are all British or British based players.

• Like 1