Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

31 minutes ago, useless said:

It's not me that's saying it, I've got now choice in the matter, it's DS...

"We wanted a British feel about us but that’s not to say we will turn our noses up at good deals abroad, argued Smith. We expect player recruitment to be harder because of Brexit, so young, British talent is what we’re looking for. I believe that can improve us and we believe we can improve those players as well.We can improve them, their value. The fact that they can see a clear pathway for them now with England will help too.”

Was kind of what I was expecting anyway.

Link to quote mate? Can’t find where he has said this.....

2 hours ago, useless said:

i'm sure DS, JL, RM, and CP know what they're doing, if they say that 'Brexit' will make things harder then it probably means that that's the case. Mings, Grealish and Watkins have all been capped whilst playing for us, and a few others probably aren't far away from getting a cap either, so we should be an attractive proposition to England's best young players.

It seems odd given that the Bundesliga's biggest clubs seem to be all over our younger players - supposedly following on from Sancho, Bellingham etc. - so they don't appear to see Brexit causing an issue in reverse?

• Thanks 1

Jesper Lindstrom Is an interesting talent at Brondby ... https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/jesper-lindstrom-the-next-big-scandanavian-talent

As well as being able to create space in congested penalty areas Lindstrom also impresses when creating and occupying spaces in the opposition half in which he can receive the ball. He understands how to drift into areas that take advantage of the spaces in the opposition defensive structure. This can mean operating in the space between the opposition midfield and defence or just simply occupying space horizontally between two opposition players. These spaces allow him to receive the ball comfortably before then moving into areas that threaten the opposition defensive line.

7 hours ago, thabucks said:

Jesper Lindstrom Is an interesting talent at Brondby ... https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/jesper-lindstrom-the-next-big-scandanavian-talent

His stats don’t seem overly impressive for a league of that level of quality.....

I've not watched him or seen his analytics so I can’t say more than that really. If I’m signing players though I want some better goals and assists records

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

His stats don’t seem overly impressive for a league of that level of quality.....

I've not watched him or seen his analytics so I can’t say more than that really. If I’m signing players though I want some better goals and assists records

He has 9 goals and 8 assists in 22 games, pretty impressive stats for a player his age

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

Bet Tottenham fans said the same about grealish in the championship. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

It seems odd given that the Bundesliga's biggest clubs seem to be all over our younger players - supposedly following on from Sancho, Bellingham etc. - so they don't appear to see Brexit causing an issue in reverse?

As long as you can create a good argument that you don't have a German candidate who is better and you're denying them the opportunity then you should be OK, they just change your residence card to a specific post brexit one

That said the impact of brexit and requirement for visas only started 1st Jan so despite the links I don't think anyone has actually done it yet 

I'm guessing the PLs post brexit rules will just follow on from the already existing work permit rules and it was also harder for a PL team to sign a young South American so it makes sense that it will now be harder for us to sign a young German than it would be for a German club to sign a young englisman 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

As long as you can create a good argument that you don't have a German candidate who is better and you're denying them the opportunity then you should be OK, they just change your residence card to a specific post brexit one

That said the impact of brexit and requirement for visas only started 1st Jan so despite the links I don't think anyone has actually done it yet 

I'm guessing the PLs post brexit rules will just follow on from the already existing work permit rules and it was also harder for a PL team to sign a young South American so it makes sense that it will now be harder for us to sign a young German than it would be for a German club to sign a young englisman 

Work permit rules were changed, is an article in Other Football but the leagues are done on a ranking to go with your international appearances. I think it will be easier to sign a Brazilian or Argentinian over say a young Swedish or Danish player 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, useless said:

Smith has said today that we're mostly going to be looking towards British players because of "brexit". So if anything we're more likely to be targeting the England U21 players than the Portugal U21 equivalent. I expect that we will be making moves for the likes of Callum James Hudson-Odoi, Abraham, Dan James, Tuanzebe, Maitland-Niles, Lookman, or similar players of that ilk, maybe a few from the championship as well, depending on who does and doesn't come up.

I don't think we will be in for a single player in that list.

14 hours ago, Mazrim said:

There's no way we're going after British only dogmatically. A core, sure. But we'll go where value is and brexit or not, that's rarely the UK.

Agree...we will look at value wherever it comes from, can see us dipping into the French market and Championship in the summer personally. We aren't the new Burnley!!

Adam Henshall and Tyler Roberts have a special relationship.

We might not sign any players from that list, but Smith himself has said that we're going to look to sign players looking to get England team, so the general point stands.

12 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Well, Germany are an independent country, and they set their own immigration rules for non-EU states. We are also an independent country, and have set our immigration rules, and as of January 1st we have made it harder to bring in players from Europe than it would be for European teams to bring in our players. That's a choice we've made, it doesn't have to be symmetrical.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Work permit rules were changed, is an article in Other Football but the leagues are done on a ranking to go with your international appearances. I think it will be easier to sign a Brazilian or Argentinian over say a young Swedish or Danish player 

You can find the post I summarised the rules here:

Probably worth stressing that that post focuses on the rules for older players, while the rules for younger players is slightly different. We simply cannot sign any player under the age of 18 from overseas, but players who are between 18 and 21 are actually slightly easier to sign than older players; there are slightly more routes to the necessary visa points, especially if they have already started appearing regularly in a top European league.

In general, @Zatman is right that it's much easier to sign players from Brazil, Argentina or Mexico - esecially if they play in continental competition - than it is to sign players at Swedish or Danish clubs (there were only 6 players playing in the Swedish league in December who met the elligibility criteria, compared to 252 in Argentina).

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Philosopher said:

I don't want back up to targett I want stiff competition from a pacy player.

Yes, we all want someone to provide 'stiff competition', of course. We all want someone on a si ilar level to Targett. However, that's going to cost us £15m-£20m realistically. Are we in a position to go spending huge amounts on backups?

Do many clubs spend such huge amounts on backups/competition? In our position? Our squad still needs huge work, spending large amounts on backups/competition isn't feasible. Signing a young, upcoming back up/competition is what we will do and what I'd expect us to do and want us to do. 

The big money can go on improving the first team in the areas we all know need it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

Sorry will do better next time ... 😉

• Haha 1

Edit: Me no saying that we will sign Tyler Roberts, just that I would not be surprised to see the media link us with him because of his past associations with Henshall. Although contrary to what was being reported yesterday his title of '"Head of Emerging Talents & Loans"' suggests he's more likely to be working with younger players, so if he's involved with any kind of recruitment might be at academy level.

22 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Yes, we all want someone to provide 'stiff competition', of course. We all want someone on a si ilar level to Targett. However, that's going to cost us £15m-£20m realistically. Are we in a position to go spending huge amounts on backups?

Do many clubs spend such huge amounts on backups/competition? In our position? Our squad still needs huge work, spending large amounts on backups/competition isn't feasible. Signing a young, upcoming back up/competition is what we will do and what I'd expect us to do and want us to do. 

The big money can go on improving the first team in the areas we all know need it. 

You don't buy back ups. That only takes midtable clubs backwards.

Targett is good, but has his limitations. He lacks pace and his stamina isn't the best either.  Ideally we'd sign an improvement.

He has turned in some average performances since Jack's injury. His lack of pace hold us back somewhat, as one of the advantages of playing 2 holding mids is to give freedom to your fullbacks to get forward. But his lack of pace means he has to be very measured in his forays forward. This is one of the reason why his game has improved. He pick his forward forays better and is being more conservative. 

Fullback is a very important tactical position in today's game if your fullbacks lack pace they have to play in the old fashioned defensive manner and only really cross from deep when going forward. 

The thing is Targett has performed well, and so replacing him outright isn't a priority. But to buy a back up for a limited player is just a waste of money.

The ideal solution is buy a pacy young left back capable of taking Targett's place on merit and make Targett the back up. The compromise is sign a pacey young player that we expect to develop into a better left back then Targett, but isn't quite there yet.

If Jack had a pacy dynamic left back behind him we'd be a better team as it would give us more width in attack.

Edited by Philosopher

I think you can buy a back up if they're at the right age or coming from a different league

Netz or katterbach or unrealistically Nuno Mendes or maybe wijndal for example comes in and spends 6 months to a year backing Targett up before overtaking him then I've got no problem with that

A 26 year old from the championship as back up then yeah I agree