Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Top class CDM who has an engine and can dictate play from the centre of the park....has the presence to defend the back line and can win the ball and play out.

I think such a player, will transform our team and improve the worth of so many of our existing players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, useless said:

We have to guard against thinking that just because Cash and Watkins have done well for us as championship signings, then any player that's doing well in the championship will do well for us. Not every player from that division is able to make the step up, the aforementioned duo had an obvious extra dimension to their game that made it quite clear that they had every chance of doing well in the premier league, but you have to look at their overall game, and not just one aspect of it.

I imagine that we might look to the championship again, but only for a couple of signings, as with last season, and only if the uppermost crème de la crème happens to be availabe, or for youngsters with exceptional potential, such as Olise.

I wonder if the longer it is that Smith is away from managing in the Championship, the harder he will find it to judge how good some of the players are at that level.  He probably still has a list of players he rates as being able to step up to the top level but that could shrink over time, if that makes sense.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I wonder if the longer it is that Smith is away from managing in the Championship, the harder he will find it to judge how good some of the players are at that level.  He probably still has a list of players he rates as being able to step up to the top level but that could shrink over time, if that makes sense.

Was thinking the same.

' Safe ' choices who were well known to him. made sense. Especially on an initially relatively limited. budget.

With the scouting infrastructure now set up to help him, and owners backing, I don't necessarily see him limiting himself to that market anymore.

EDIT; Watched the Sheffield Uniteds owner interview the other day, where he intimated one of the problems he had with Wilder, was that he was too closed minded when it came to transfers. Basically saying they could have gotten better players, at the same or a lesser price who could have helped the squad immediately, from overseas Markets.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

I've said it numerous times before, but I'd be seriously looking at Josh Dasilva, I think like Watkins once in the premier league it won't be long before he's an England international, as England are seriously lacking midfielders of his type. Would be an excellent alternative to Hourihane and Barkley, like those two he has the attacking side to his game, but also gets more involved with general play also, and presumably Smith will know him quite well as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Announce camavinga! 

But in all seriousness Leicester have plucked kante and fofana from France and their national teams are absolutely stacked, loads of competition for places which someone might see starring for villa being advantageous over being a sub at a CL team, hard to tell

Wouldn't mind gouiri or kamara but kamara will be unrealistic l not a clue where gouiri is being pitched at, I'm sure bard had a fallout with lyon but I think that was about not being 1st choice, want to see more of cherki, Saliba and todibo both sound like dicks but would be an improvement over engels 

Marcus Thuram made a couple of French squads in last year. Decent scoring record for 'Gladbach and scored two v Real Madrid earlier this season. They won't make CL this year so think they'd be up for selling and he can also play out wide which is important for whichever CF we sign just to get a bit more flexibility in attack.

And would be cool to get his dad coming to some games as he was a great player.

Interested what @GarethRDR makes of him.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

Looks like Mikkel Damsgaard has had his international break through today scoring twice already against Moldova for Denmark.

Obviously I'd like him to remain at Sampdoria for another season but I imagine he'll move in the summer. 

20 y.o right footed LW who can be used in all attacking positions in midfield. Might be one to watch.

Edit: Added 2 assist as well but it was against a horrible Moldova side. Game ended 8-0

Edited by sne
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Top class CDM who has an engine and can dictate play from the centre of the park....has the presence to defend the back line and can win the ball and play out.

I think such a player, will transform our team and improve the worth of so many of our existing players.

You know my answer to this..... K__PM___ERS

Fill in the blanks :D

Join the bandwagon of one.

• Like 1

It's actualy hard to single out individual US players, they all look decent and seem to play well as a team, Musah only eighteen, Acosta played well, surprised to see he's never played outside of the US, Siebatcheu looked dangerous, as did Dike, was also impressed with Aaronson. As well as the obvious ones like Reyna, Robinson and Pulisic.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, useless said:

It's actualy hard to single out individual US players, they all look decent and seem to play well as a team, Musah only eighteen, Acosta played well, surprised to see he's never played outside of the US, Siebatcheu looked dangerous, as did Dike, was also impressed with Aaronson. As well as the obvious ones like Reyna, Robinson and Pulisic.

A lot of people keep saying they are good, we could buy to develop but we need ready to hit the ground running players this summer.

Filip Helander who we've been linked with (along with Leicester) actually looking pretty good for Sweden tonight against Kosovo.

Not watched much lately but he seem to have developed a bit playing Scotland when it comes to aggression and in the air. Looks a bit stronger and more confident.

If we are talking defensive midfielders I would be looking at Yves Bissouma, Denis Zakaria or Boubacar Kamara.

If we are talking a right winger I would be looking at Jonathan Ikone, Calvin Stengs, Ismaila Sarr or Emi Buendia

All are expensive options; but all are young next level players who will grow both in value and in performance.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Marcus Thuram made a couple of French squads in last year. Decent scoring record for 'Gladbach and scored two v Real Madrid earlier this season. They won't make CL this year so think they'd be up for selling and he can also play out wide which is important for whichever CF we sign just to get a bit more flexibility in attack.

And would be cool to get his dad coming to some games as he was a great player.

Interested what @GarethRDR makes of him.

CL form has been the exception, not the rule this season sadly.  Thuram's been nowhere near last season's form (mind you everything and everyone has gone to shit since the Rose news was "announced"), then there was the spitting incident which he copped a ban for so he needs to get his damn head screwed on.  Whole attack has looked utterly lethargic since January.  Two chief concerns would therefore be 1) at his best he's most effective in Grealish's role (and not good enough to displace him) and 2) with Max Eberl (long-time Sporting Director for the club) coming in for a lot of criticism (for possibly the first time in his tenure) over the Rose situation (and with Zakaria the most likely to be the next big-name departure), it's unlikely they'll want to see any more of the marquee players out of the door in the immediacy and stoke the fires of fan revolt (it's something of a blessing there's nobody in the stadium at the moment as the atmosphere would likely have gotten toxic over the last two months).

He'd be orders of magnitude better than Michael feckin' Bradley though.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Anyone seen much of Marcus Edwards? Putting up good stat at Vitoria

He had a really good season last year but been on the bench loads this season (they signed Quaresma last summer who must be about 46 now!). Not sure if Suliman has played much.

• Thanks 1