Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

8 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

I just think that’s too many. We’re arguably already at 3-4 first 11-18 signings. Another 3 would take us to 7. That’s a turnover of almost half of your match day squad which is way too many to maintain culture and match day cohesion. 

We will be back where we were in 19/20, albeit with more talented players.

More talented players who are more used to playing international matches when they get called up every month or so to play with people they've not played with for 5 or 6 weeks.  So they will be more used to making friendships / partnerships at short notice.  Also in 19/20 we were so bereft of talent that we were relying on every signing pretty much going into the starting line up.  This season we are starting at a very different point.  So if McGinn (for example) needs to play the first 5 or 6 matches and then get subbed to bring on a new CM until they get up to speed - that isn't the worst position in the world to be in.  I'd rather that scenario than keep hold of Connor (for example) because we don't want to disrupt things (although that slightly ignores the fact that Connor wasn't here last season anyway).

14 minutes ago, Gillz said:

I am actually majorly concerned. The Ings transfer caught everyone complete off guard with no speculation or twitter hype beforehand.

What if Villa are working on another superstar signing under the radar and we are deprived of the chance to speculate wildly, ridicule twitter ITKs, aggressively debate player positions and formations, stalk social media posts and flight plans, or watch poorly edited youtube videos with awful music.

How's a guy meant to pass the time at work if Villa conduct transfer business like this? No consideration for the fans at all....

I realise this is very tongue in cheek but there are some painful truths in this post!

We need speculation!

21 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

I just think that’s too many. We’re arguably already at 3-4 first 11-18 signings. Another 3 would take us to 7. That’s a turnover of almost half of your match day squad which is way too many to maintain culture and match day cohesion. 

We will be back where we were in 19/20, albeit with more talented players.

It's nonsense FIFA on the PlayStation thinking but you don't get reload your save game when it goes pear shaped. Only need to look at Sanson getting thrown in when we hit a speed bump and the guy is a good player but already written off by some after 200 minutes

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

We gonna start crying soon. Officially we have actually spent nothing, Wes and Eden's out!!

Ohhh, just like Guardiola mentioned that Jack did only cost 40m, as they had sold players for 60m?? 😂

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

I think if we push either of Watkins or Ings wide we have **** it tbh. Neither will be as effective.

Either...

1) one needs to drop deep and we do something not many have been able to get to work at the top level in what feels like a long time and reinvent 442 (I'm sure somebody will come with some very clever examples)

2) they compete. But I don't think we Chuck £30m at anybody and sit them on the bench. Ings or Watkins. 

I just really hope we don't waste either on the left. I feel like it would be Ollie if either of them and it'll stunt his development. There's a reason nobody was interested in him until after Maupay left Brentford. He was decent but nowhere near the level.

I don't think either will be pushed "wide".  I think our front 3 (if all fit) will be Ollie, Ings and Bailey.  Ollie will start on the left of the three but in reality that just means that he will play in the gap between the full back and the right sided CB - not being stuck out on the wing.  If you look at his heat map from last season this is where he spent the vast majority of his time / had the majority of his touches anyway.  So he was already playing closer to a left sided inside forward than a traditional centre forward anyway.  The fact that Ings also tends to drift left suggests (to me) that the two will inter-change with each other pretty freely anyway.  I think there will be games when we only play 1 of Ings / Watkins (injuries, rest, suspensions but also maybe games where we think we can exploit the flanks rather than the more central channels).  I really don't believe that Ings or Ollie will play "wide left" / "left wing".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

17m we would bite their hand off. But its a bullshit link.

I like him and he’s effective when he’s on it. When he has one of those games where he’s striking it cleanly you do expect him to get some shots on target and trouble the team.

Sadly where we want to be he isn’t good enough, as a back up I’m happy to have him.

A back up or £17 million though, I’d take the cash all day.

• Like 1

I think Ollie is pencilled in as the left of a front three (Watkins, Ings, Bailey), so letting AEG go has a ring of logic to it. I think the goals last season paper over his overall contribution that could perhaps be better and more integrated into a team performance. His (lack of) assists are perhaps a better indicator of performance. For me he seems to deliver more of an individual performance rather than part of the team performance. 

Seems crazy when set against his terrific goals stats from last season though, but maybe we leverage his sale value on that and be grateful for the money. I think a 22yo Cantwell has a higher ceiling, but not sure where all these players will fit into the system(s)?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think Anwar would score goals for fun and destroy a lower league.

Random thought: Werner on loan to play left forward?

He barely cut it in the Championship tbh and has played cup games against the likes of Burton and done absolutely nothing. 

And.

No. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gillz said:

I am actually majorly concerned. The Ings transfer caught everyone complete off guard with no speculation or twitter hype beforehand.

What if Villa are working on another superstar signing under the radar and we are deprived of the chance to speculate wildly, ridicule twitter ITKs, aggressively debate player positions and formations, stalk social media posts and flight plans, or watch poorly edited youtube videos with awful music.

How's a guy meant to pass the time at work if Villa conduct transfer business like this? No consideration for the fans at all....

This is just a defeatist attitude.

Get your browser opened up. A quick scan of newsnow, football insider, twitter, instagram (very important to see what players are liking posts from the club/current players). After that transfermarkt (important for contract lengths and potentail fees to be paid), and if you're a real nerd, fbref. Be sure to keep all these tabs open in case you need to refer back to double check the obscure links to players that you have discovered through your research.

Then and only then should you open up flight radar or similar flight tracking websites. You can then spend your day tracking flights from random parts of Europe to BHX, and also very important, small regional airports.

I look forward to your finding for us all to discuss. If you could have this done by after lunch and posted here so that the rest of us have something to do for the afternoon then that would be great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Random thought: Werner on loan to play left forward?

Why the hell would Werner come to us? He could play Champions League football for his choice of football clubs, no chance he'd come here even if his time would limited at Chelsea which I'm not sure will even with the acquisition of the big man!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gillz said:

Lets not forget the Ings transfer was a one off - I've not known a major signing like that to go totally 100% under the radar - where the first thing you hear is the official announcement from the club. Even Wesley was reported for a day or so before he was unveiled. 

I think you will get plenty of links and speculation on any future additions before they arrive.

15 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I like him and he’s effective when he’s on it. When he has one of those games where he’s striking it cleanly you do expect him to get some shots on target and trouble the team.

Sadly where we want to be he isn’t good enough, as a back up I’m happy to have him.

A back up or £17 million though, I’d take the cash all day.

Why ? - how does £17m help us ? - given the players potentially unavailable for the first few games  (Watkins, Buendia, Sanson, Bailey, Luiz, ) I d like him to stick around. Wins in those easy opening fixtures would be of more value than £17m in the bank IMO.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Why ? - how does £17m help us ? - given the players potentially unavailable for the first few games  (Watkins, Buendia, Sanson, Bailey, Luiz, ) I d like him to stick around. Wins in those easy opening fixtures would be of more value than £17m in the bank IMO.

I can't see El Ghazi starting even with Bailey and Buendia out. If someone offers £17m for El Ghazi, which they won't, he'd be gone in an instant. 

Doubling our money on a player who isn't good enough to make our starting XI and where we want to be is a no brainer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I'd defo sell him for that - JPB already looks better 

Agreed. I would bite their hand off for 15m. It would help us with P&S and would also give us the opportunity to upgrade a player, as someone suggested above. I would prefer Cantwell int he squad and JPB promoted to the sub role. I am sure we could survive with Ings taking our pens

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I can't see El Ghazi starting even with Bailey and Buendia out. If someone offers £17m for El Ghazi, which they won't, he'd be gone in an instant. 

Doubling our money on a player who isn't good enough to make our starting XI and where we want to be is a no brainer. 

Werent you just banging on about replacing Jack as our left sided forward. Now you are willing to sell our only other left sided winger.  Is your plan to give the £17 million a starting spot?  

I don't mind the moaning at times but at least be consistent. 

• Like 1

I don't understand why so many people are trying to cram Watkins and Ings into the same starting line up. If we go our usual 'one up top' formation, we simply rotate them as starters (or select, based on opposition weaknesses), keeping them fresh and providing us with a plan b when games aren't going too well.

Just because you sign a player, doesn't mean they need to go straight into the starting XI every week, irrespective of how much they cost to buy. Top clubs have benches where every single player on it is worth £20m~30m minimum.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beastmix said:

I don't understand why so many people are trying to cram Watkins and Ings into the same starting line up. If we go our usual 'one up top' formation, we simply rotate them as starters (or select, based on opposition weaknesses), keeping them fresh and providing us with a plan b when games aren't going too well.

Just because you sign a player, doesn't mean they need to go straight into the starting XI every week, irrespective of how much they cost to buy. Top clubs have benches where every single player on it is worth £20m~30m minimum.

Yes but top clubs will play 10-15 games more than Villa next season.