Pre Match Thread

One For The Road

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Let's burst some fecking bubbles. Nothing sweeter than a bit of Cockney bashing. 

Yep,  there is no cringe at all when they blow their little bubbles with the bubble making machines at their rented ground (With Zero in attendance) before each game as they come out wearing the Villa claret and blue.

Nope seem legit,  nothing for them to be embarrassed about.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I actually like Westwood, he is an accomplished mid-lower table PL player and has been for years. Never claimed to be any better by media nor fans. 

But I really don't understand the Declan Rice hype. I have never seen him do anything "world class" or deserving of a high fee transfer. I much prefer Ward-Prowse, he is more vertisile and has a killer free kick.

Is it because Rice plays for West Ham?

Sure we are bias, but can anyone please try to objectively explain Declan Rice hype?

He is quite good but I get the feeling that the media just get a hard on for West Ham and England players since Moore captained the country to a WC. 80 million is a joke though. There has never been a DM who cost that much has there (at least not one comes to mind) and I don't think that he is worth that much. When the game is congested he is good because of his strength and physicality but when the game is open and he comes up against top opposition he becomes exposed.

Also he doesn't read the game very well. I think if he played in our system he would look fairly average because we leave that DM role to one player who has to cover a lot of space and Rice's reading of the game isn't good enough for that. West Ham's style - they either play him with Soucek in a 4-2-3-1 or in the 3-4-1-2 (or similar) gives them and him a lot of protection.

One of the reasons mentioned for Lampard getting the sack was his constant insistence on signing him despite being told no over and over again.

19 hours ago, Mic09 said:

But I really don't understand the Declan Rice hype. I have never seen him do anything "world class" or deserving of a high fee transfer. I much prefer Ward-Prowse, he is more vertisile and has a killer free kick.

Is it because Rice plays for West Ham?

Sure we are bias, but can anyone please try to objectively explain Declan Rice hype?

I think Rice benefits from two things. He is a good player in a position that England don't have any really top player. See also Winks. 

He's in a premier league london club and came through the ranks of another. 

Personally I don't like the lad. The way he treated the RoI management team was terrible and showed a real lack of integrity. 

• Like 1

They were awful against us in their home game and we should have comfortably won the game. That and Burnley the two most frustrating games of the season so far. 

A great chance for us to really push up that European challenge tonight. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I think Rice benefits from two things. He is a good player in a position that England don't have any really top player. See also Winks. 

Personally I don't like the lad. The way he treated the RoI management team was terrible and showed a real lack of integrity. 

He was a young ambitious footballer who was being managed by MON, who is renowned for giving no instructions to players (many players have come out and said so since he was sacked as Ireland boss) and the assistant was Keane who had a go at some of the players getting treatment for injuries (oh the irony). He was then invited to St. George's Park, given a formal presentation on what his role in the England team would be, and how his future would look if he chose England.

Professionalism vs. shambles - an easy decision for any young ambitious footballer really who has an allegiance of some sort to both countries.

And just in case Rice was fretting whether or not he made the right decision... On the 13th Feb 2019, he announced he was choosing England. On the 17th March 2019, The Sunday Times publish a story regarding a loan to the FAI from its then CEO which leads to further revelations about the association's finances ultimately leading to a bailout from the Irish government.

Within a few months, his decision was vindicated. Very little of the blame lies with Rice in that situation IMO.

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

I thought I read that they had everyone available barring one long term injured player. Who have they got out?

Thought I'd read the opposite!  Might have been on here so I stand corrected. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

Grealish says hi

Edited by bannedfromHandV

I really want us to score plenty of goals tonight. Little frustrated of late with the amount of chances we squander. We're doing well though as are West Ham so expect a really tough game. We're at home and should be winning it. 

Their aerial strength might be a problem for us tonight.....Dean already mentioning the loss of Hause.

I hope we cope with it well...a few nudges here and there a bit of close contact, might help.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Herman22 said:

But like the Murphys, you are not bitter.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Can't stop reading their forum. They are the most delusional fans in the prem and are foaming at the mouyh with rage with jack, villa and our fans. Would love to give them an absolute hiding tonight

I'm thinking Smith might have got Moyes' number after the last game. We gave them a football lesson and lost last time out, pretty sure Smith will have been ticking that over in his mind a lot.

Edited by romavillan
I can't spell.
  • Like 2