Pre Match Thread

One For The Road

Don't think we'll make any changes to the line-up, think Barkley will be playing deeper though, seemed to be a second striker against Southampton and I'm not sure that's really needed against Wet Spam, that area of the pitch will be very crowded.

I'm with @TRO in that the midfield battle is important, certainly important not to lose, however I don't think that is where we are going to hurt them. Down the wings is where we'll get some joy, get to the by-line and have their big defenders facing the wrong way. Bowen is a work horse one side and will help out his full back, not so sure about Benrahama the other side though, may get some joy there. Also, we need to switch flanks quickly and not give them time to get set, see the goal against Southampton as a prime example of how it's done.

They are a big team and we have to stand up to it, but we are quicker and both with and without the ball and they will have to deal with that. Set pieces are obviously a worry.

Really not sure about this one, but we do owe them!

7 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

He was a young ambitious footballer who was being managed by MON, who is renowned for giving no instructions to players (many players have come out and said so since he was sacked as Ireland boss) and the assistant was Keane who had a go at some of the players getting treatment for injuries (oh the irony). He was then invited to St. George's Park, given a formal presentation on what his role in the England team would be, and how his future would look if he chose England.

Professionalism vs. shambles - an easy decision for any young ambitious footballer really who has an allegiance of some sort to both countries.

And just in case Rice was fretting whether or not he made the right decision... On the 13th Feb 2019, he announced he was choosing England. On the 17th March 2019, The Sunday Times publish a story regarding a loan to the FAI from its then CEO which leads to further revelations about the association's finances ultimately leading to a bailout from the Irish government.

Within a few months, his decision was vindicated. Very little of the blame lies with Rice in that situation IMO.

I think I know what you are trying to I say but I'm not quite sure. The FAI is a basket case, it always has been. I doubt that came into Rice's thoughts. Representing your country is the greatest achievement a sports player can ever hope for. Rice made a decision based on financial gains. Not really a character trait I'd admire. 

19 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I think there's a difference. Jack turned down the RoI call up. Rice accepted it and played a few matches. Even scored a goal of I remember correctly. 

Yeah they’re not directly comparable, but also not distanced enough to not be comparable at all.

Just now, bose said:

West Ham supporters expecting defeat.

Biggest fear for me is that we will be careless and over confident.

Never in a million years, we are far too professional these days

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Reading on their forum.

They seem to be very obsessed with Grealish. In a negative way.

I have a hammer friend and he is the same, basically keeps going on about him diving and actually in the last game he did a blatant dive which doesn’t help my argument

39 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Ready to roll. Never been more excited to wake up for Villa fixtures.

The only hard part when I worked in Sydney is the mid week games, I had to get up extra early, get into the office, watch the game on my computer or in the meeting room on the tv and still be at work for 9am.  Couldnt watch the game at home and then go into work, as my Australian colleagues didnt get my obsession with soccer (still not sure I like that word) so while not bad if I got in late, it wasnt.........appreciated.

• Like 1