Pre Match Thread

One For The Road

Thinking about their team, would you take any of their players over ours for the first eleven? I’m not sure I would. I’d have some for the bench, Creswell for Taylor, Bowen for El Ghazi, Soucek for Nakamba. I don’t even think I’d want Rice in our team, certainly not over Luiz or McGinn. 

Anybody else think Declan Rice is the most over-rated player in the league? 

I saw some nonsense about Chelsea preparing an £80m bid for him, so ever since I've been deliberately watching him closely in the West Ham games I've seen. I am completely baffled by what he is supposed to be so good at … other than a few inches in height I can't tell the difference between him and Ashley Westwood 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Thinking about their team, would you take any of their players over ours for the first eleven? I’m not sure I would. I’d have some for the bench, Creswell for Taylor, Bowen for El Ghazi, Soucek for Nakamba. I don’t even think I’d want Rice in our team, certainly not over Luiz or McGinn. 

I really like Rice, definitely  would have him for us

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Good point. I don't think there is a single player from our first 11 I'd swap out directly for one of theirs 

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I just can't bring myself to say anything positive about a club owned by Gold and Sullivan who have cheated the taxpayer in giving them a  multi million stadium for nothing.

Well it’s not for ‘nothing’ - their documented ‘donations to the Conservative party’ (not sure I can think of another club donating to any political party!) are a matter of public record...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I really like Bowen - I’d have him over Traore. And I think they have a few that run us close but mostly agree I prefer our players to theirs... maybe some bias in that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, handsworthvilla said:

Anybody else think Declan Rice is the most over-rated player in the league? 

I saw some nonsense about Chelsea preparing an £80m bid for him, so ever since I've been deliberately watching him closely in the West Ham games I've seen. I am completely baffled by what he is supposed to be so good at … other than a few inches in height I can't tell the difference between him and Ashley Westwood 

Yeah I’ve not been massively impressed with Rice when I’ve seen him. Admittedly though that’s only in the games Villa have played plus England. I’m sure he’s a decent enough player but didn’t seem £80m worth. I’ll acknowledge my bias and emotional attachment to Luiz and McGinn and keep them. 

It's actually quite interesting seeing the perception of Villa from West Ham fans (on their forum).

They think Grealish is basically a cheat and have posted some very convincing clips - two clips where he definitely dives and 1 clip where the angle just makes it look like that.

I hadn't seen or noticed the diving clips before, he does need to cut out those otherwise he he will start matches with that reputation and so the ref will be less likely to give fouls. 

Getting the same vibes from this game that I got from the Burnley game.

West Ham have limited their opponents to relatively few good chances in their games in January (Liverpool aside).

This, coupled with their strength from corners, may make it really tough for us. We will need to be at our most creative whilst finding a way to stand up to them on set pieces.

Hoping for a win for us, but have a horrible feeling about this one.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2021 at 06:29, Michelsen said:

Really sorry, mate, but it was only a light hearted joke. Genuinely no offense intended at all. We all make spelling mistakes. 

(For the sake of clarification, the intended butt of my joke was the country of Czhechia, whose name reads like a spelling mistake, not you. I know it wasn’t the funniest joke ever, but I’m not sure it makes me a word removed.) 

I've been trying for years to find out what this "word removed" is, I know its an auto filter, but never managed to work out which word/phrase is replaced

13 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It's actually quite interesting seeing the perception of Villa from West Ham fans (on their forum).

They think Grealish is basically a cheat and have posted some very convincing clips - two clips where he definitely dives and 1 clip where the angle just makes it look like that.

I hadn't seen or noticed the diving clips before, he does need to cut out those otherwise he he will start matches with that reputation and so the ref will be less likely to give fouls. 

I know which ones. The one is pretty indefensible really. The other where he spins to his left and goes down clutching his knee cap, I'm convinced a bootlace raps him on the knee cap there. The stray boot catches him on the right knee but he goes down holding the left knee. Why hold that one if the he felt contact on the other? I think he felt something quite sharp which then wasn't anything.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

The C-word. Although, for me, I’ve lived with the VT swear filter for so long, it has become its own phrase, independent of the beformentioned vulgarity. I’ll typically type out ‘word removed’ instead of letting the swear filter handle it, and have used the phrase in spoken English before 😂

Ah OK, thanks. I've never used that word in my life so I guess that why I've never figured it out!

• Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

The C-word. Although, for me, I’ve lived with the VT swear filter for so long, it has become its own phrase, independent of the beformentioned vulgarity. I’ll typically type out ‘word removed’ instead of letting the swear filter handle it, and have used the phrase in spoken English before 😂

haha, i do this as well.  I call someone in real life "word removed" and they look at me strangely. and when i sigh and start to explain, they just switch off and ignore me.

• Haha 1

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• This is the 100th top-flight fixture between Aston Villa and West Ham. The East London side have 34 wins to Villa's 33, with 32 draws.
  • Aston Villa's only Premier League victory in the past nine meetings was 1-0 at home in May 2015 (D5, L3). They scored just four goals in those matches.
  • However, West Ham have won only one of their 10 most recent Premier League visits to Villa Park, when Kevin Nolan scored both goals in February 2014.

Aston Villa

• Villa have won 10 matches at the halfway point of a top-flight season for the first time in 11 years.
  • They have only twice had as many as 11 wins after 20 Premier League games: in 1998-99 and 2008-09.
  • Dean Smith's side need just three more points to match last season's final total of 35.
  • Aston Villa are vying to earn three consecutive Premier League home victories in the same season for the first time since a run of four between August and October 2007.
  • They can equal the club Premier League record of four consecutive home clean sheets, last achieved in September-October 2001.
  • Jack Grealish has been directly involved in 15 league goals in 19 appearances, scoring six times and providing nine assists. It's already his highest tally in a season.

West Ham United

• A win on Wednesday would give West Ham 38 points, their highest tally after 22 matches of a top-flight season since 1985-86.
  • The Hammers can win three consecutive away league matches for the first time since December 2018.
  • They have already equalled last season's total of 10 Premier League victories.
  • An eighth Premier League clean sheet would be the most in a season by West Ham since 2017-18, when they kept 10.
  • Manager David Moyes is unbeaten in nine Premier League matches against Aston Villa, winning four and drawing five since Everton's 1-0 defeat at Villa Park in August 2010.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55820961

•