Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/02/21 at 23:59

29 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Everything looks intentional in slow motion and still images. It happened in a second and I don't think there was much in it. 

As I saw it live I saw it as an intentional stamp. As his foot is already on Martinez's wrist, he then bears his weight down which is not a natural movement.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

If Dean brings off McGinn then the goal saving block he makes at 80 minutes goes in.

We won so obviously he was right about the subs.

True, but it was also because mcginn lost his man that they had a shot at all. Tbf it was a great recovery but both mcginn and Luiz were pretty anonymous tonight

• Like 2

After the Manu ' penalty' and the mam city offside ,plus the Burnley mugging we was due some luck .......but apart from the save when Adams stamped on Martinez Southampton never really threatened us. 

We are still quite poor out of possession for me,  we close down up front, down to Ollie and  Jack, but the midfield isn't affective at doing it and seem to be losing possession in 50/50 time and time again.

We also don't close games down when we need to, at 1 up with 10 minutes to go we shouldn't be trying to score another at the cost of losing possession, keep the ball and make the opposition work to get it back.  Playing 50/50 balls in an attempt to score another goal and losing possession is niave and needs addressing. Good win , Grealish is definitely carrying an injury and despite that he's still the best player in the pitch. UTV 

Edited by tinker

1 hour ago, tezzaleed said:

how can anyone give smith anything other than very poor for that game.  I cant believe his inability to affect a game with his bench.  it was so bad I was fuming.  it was obvious traore needed to come off in the second half.  so obvious

I agree about Traore. He was dreadful. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I can understand not bringing a player on for his debut in a very tight game. If we had been a couple up and not under the cosh then I think he may well have got the last 10/15 minutes. There is an argument for fresh legs but he and the other three coaches/ assistants clearly don’t have huge confidence in the bench. I keep hearing people saying we don’t need more signings, a reluctance to use the bench clearly indicates that we do still need better quality in the squad. I think we know this but January isn’t easy to find good players and we don’t have to make hurried decisions and end up with below average players on above average wages for the next three or four years. 

Either way we won and whilst some criticism of the manager can likely be levelled at him, albeit we don’t watch them train etc. some of the criticism is completely over the top and bordering on abusive. I’ve heard words like muppet, shithouse, a disgrace. This is after a win that puts us 8th with games in hand. We are playing the best football we have seen for god knows how long. We actually look forward to games and many people in the game are praising us in a way that we haven’t heard for years. I always take the view on here that we are allowed to say what we like but I draw the line at saying anything I wouldn’t say to a man’s face. When that man is a hard working bloke who is one of our own and has achieved so much on our behalf, I can only think that some of you are either trolls or have a totally entrenched view of our manager that you care more about being right than you do about Aston Villa. Keyboard warriors or more accurately keyboard cowards. 

P.S. I am in no way aiming the last part of my rant at you Stu. 

We know who they are, Dave. Haters will be haters. Trust me, he will continue to prove the doubters wrong and I will love it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great result, cracking goal.....but we need to keep the ball better, to progress....get dispossesed too easy, and fail to dispossess enough ourselves....in short, we make hard work of it ,for ourselves.....but was brave with our blocking.

However, going forward, we look dangerous....another clean sheet is so encouraging, spells resillience.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Enjoyed that a lot. Resolutely hung on to our lead and the defence was excellent, unlike against Burnley. Also was very amused watching VAR lingering over shots comparing their player’s armpit with our player’s arse. How long really does it take to make that decision? Are they perverts or what?

Martinez MOTM again buy a mile. What a buy that was!

This debate about about Smith’s management is pointless. He is what he is, he’s not going to change his abilities overnight. It’s just what you’re going to get from him. He’s never going to be one of the top premier league managers. This season it’s worked out reasonably well so far.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

We have a maximum of 19 games left to play providing the season doesn't get curtailed, as we are out of all cups and not in Europe. I think we have a squad deep enough to cope with that as long as Watkins (touch wood) does not get injured. In dean we trust.

8th with a game in hand over 5 of the teams above us. Who would have thought that at the start of the season. We could be on course for a 60+ points season which would be unbelievable given about 2 years ago we were floundering along mid table in the Championship.

Some ratings:

Martinez - 8 - some quality stops, but some poor distribution and a couple of flaps on crosses cost him a couple points.

Cash - 8 - I'm not a Cash fan, but he worked damn hard tonight.  Perhaps fortunate with the 'penalty' ( seen them given )

Konsa - 9 - for me, he's our defender.  Whilst not great in the air, his distribution is good, defending solid, and he is calm under pressure.

Mings - 7 - I really hate it when he tries his Beckenbaur turns when he is the last man, totally unnecessary, and has cost him in the past.  He is our weak link at the back, as there is always a back decision in him.

Targett - 8 - not as good as recent games but still massively improved from last season.  Can see him getting a cap soon.

Luiz - 7 - some hairy moments, and went missing a few times.  But the best of our 3 cms today on what was a bad day for our cms.

McGinn - 6 - what has happened to him?  His passing let him down on a number of occassions, he missed a load of runs and tackles, and he looked exhausted before half time.

Barkley - 5 - goal aside, possibly his worst game for us.  Every time he lost possession he just stop by doing nothing allowing them to break.  No idea how he played 90 mins.  Very poor today.

Traore - 5 - couple of good moments, but quite a few bad too.  Liability in defence, and hit and miss in attack.  Another that boggles how he played the entire game.

Grealish - 9 - what can you say? In a game where our midfield was soundly beaten, Grealish was a star.  Oozed class, and danced by Ward Prowse nearly every time. Oh, and a nice assist!

Watkins - 8 - played well tonight with limited service.  I think he is a good player, but i don't see him as a CF.  He hit most of his shots straight at the keeper tonight, and is one of, if not the most wasteful player in the league.  He's a WF for me.

DS - 5 - I don't think the starting 11 was the right choice.  From start to finish their midfield bossed ours, and at 1 point they had 80% possession.  Could and should have made changes early in the 2nd when it clearly wasn't working, and later when a number of players were clearly labouring.  He nearly cost us the 3 points tonight.  He needs to start using his squad before we start picking up injuries.  Lose a couple of 1st teamers to injury and we'll look a much worse size.  He needs to rotate to keep them fresh if we have any ambition to finish top half.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Some ratings:

Martinez - 8 - some quality stops, but some poor distribution and a couple of flaps on crosses cost him a couple points.

Cash - 8 - I'm not a Cash fan, but he worked damn hard tonight.  Perhaps fortunate with the 'penalty' ( seen them given )

Konsa - 9 - for me, he's our defender.  Whilst not great in the air, his distribution is good, defending solid, and he is calm under pressure.

Mings - 7 - I really hate it when he tries his Beckenbaur turns when he is the last man, totally unnecessary, and has cost him in the past.  He is our weak link at the back, as there is always a back decision in him.

Targett - 8 - not as good as recent games but still massively improved from last season.  Can see him getting a cap soon.

Luiz - 7 - some hairy moments, and went missing a few times.  But the best of our 3 cms today on what was a bad day for our cms.

McGinn - 6 - what has happened to him?  His passing let him down on a number of occassions, he missed a load of runs and tackles, and he looked exhausted before half time.

Barkley - 5 - goal aside, possibly his worst game for us.  Every time he lost possession he just stop by doing nothing allowing them to break.  No idea how he played 90 mins.  Very poor today.

Traore - 5 - couple of good moments, but quite a few bad too.  Liability in defence, and hit and miss in attack.  Another that boggles how he played the entire game.

Grealish - 9 - what can you say? In a game where our midfield was soundly beaten, Grealish was a star.  Oozed class, and danced by Ward Prowse nearly every time. Oh, and a nice assist!

Watkins - 8 - played well tonight with limited service.  I think he is a good player, but i don't see him as a CF.  He hit most of his shots straight at the keeper tonight, and is one of, if not the most wasteful player in the league.  He's a WF for me.

DS - 5 - I don't think the starting 11 was the right choice.  From start to finish their midfield bossed ours, and at 1 point they had 80% possession.  Could and should have made changes early in the 2nd when it clearly wasn't working, and later when a number of players were clearly labouring.  He nearly cost us the 3 points tonight.  He needs to start using his squad before we start picking up injuries.  Lose a couple of 1st teamers to injury and we'll look a much worse size.  He needs to rotate to keep them fresh if we have any ambition to finish top half.

Not arguing, by the way, but if The CM's  were so poor and judging by the Motm vote after a (clean sheet) a single vote each for McGinn & Luiz and Barkley 2 off 225 voters......why did you rate them so high?

just curious.

Our goal exemplifies how good Grealish and Barkley are together and how much of a threat Grealish is out wide. 

Huge win that was. Massive and means we can banish Wednesday night’s bitter and bewildered disappointment. Got lucky with the Ings goal. That rule is ridiculous as we know only too well ourselves. Saints deserved to get something out of that but it’s about time we were on the right end of VAR.

People talking in hypotheticals regarding making subs. Who’s to say if we made subs that disrupted our stoicism that we wouldn’t have ended up losing the game. Was an extremely difficult game to be brought into. Only one I expected was Trezzy for Traore to help us track back with energy but it brings a lot of confidence when the coach has faith in those playing to get the job done. 

Targett and Cash were excellent. Martinez is the best keeper we’ve had since Bosnich. Big big win. Wasn’t pretty and Saints will rightly feel hard done by by the daft rules. But don’t let that cloud the positives for us in terms of how well we threw our bodies on the line, quite literally, to prevent us from conceding.

Arguably played our worst game tonight but a big part of that was because Saints are extremely well drilled and great on the ball. This is a really good team in the making. And a transitioning team. We’re in good hands with coaches and owners and play great football. “The right way” as Keano described. 

What’s most pleasing is we’ve shown again that we can come back from a knock (loss). And shows that whilst we can’t get carried away with our wins, we can’t lose our s**t over our losses. Onto the next game(s) and always looking forwards. Big 3pts tonight. 

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Great result, cracking goal.....but we need to keep the ball better, to progress....get dispossesed too easy, and fail to dispossess enough ourselves....in short, we make hard work of it ,for ourselves.....but was brave with our blocking.

However, going forward, we look dangerous....another clean sheet is so encouraging, spells resillience.

Regarding keeping the ball, Southampton were pressing really hard and making it difficult to gain momentum. As I said in another post, I think we are having a few concentration issues post covid but it's nothing we can't improve on. A few bad decisions and not enough sharpness at times.

The last side we played that pressed us like that was Leeds and we got hammered so to come away from there with the win is impressive.

Agree with you about resilience. Build from the back as the old saying goes. We've certainly done that. Amazing turnaround.

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I can only think that some of you are either trolls or have a totally entrenched view of our manager that you care more about being right than you do about Aston Villa. Keyboard warriors or more accurately keyboard cowards. 

Sorry mate, but I find this type of comment exhausting as well - as I always see posts like this by some when criticism is levelled at a player or coach. By definition a forum will have opinions - not all will be positive and glowing. Smith and substitutions is an issue that has long been discussed here, on social media and podcasts. It's obviously a topic of debate. Except for a tiny minority who think only the likes of Antonio Conte should be coaching Aston Villa, feel the great majority are very supportive of Smith. That does not mean he is perfect and cannot improve.

Edited by nepal_villan
  • Like 1

Â