Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/02/21 at 23:59

13 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Che Adams’ foot may originally land on Martinez’s hand inadvertently (at the very least that part is hard to prove), but once it does there’s no doubt his next actions are entirely deliberate: pivoting unnaturally on the foot with the hand beneath it, putting his whole weight through those blades and onto the trapped fingers. Very sly, very nasty and could very easily have put our keeper out for weeks. 

VAR should have reviewed it. You could hear Emi wince and yell in pain, I was worried.

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

VAR should have reviewed it. You could hear Emi wince and yell in pain, I was worried.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised considering he's the type of "role model" that has his picture taken with arrested scum in the back of a paddywagon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

And we easily could not have then what would you say? 

Say barkley picked up another injury then would you be saying that?

Madness not to make subs when we have a midweek game then another next week.  Need to protect the squad

But none of that happened and it raised the fitness levels of all those 11 players, well played Smith for me. 

• Like 2

I seem to remember that when they beat us at Villa Park we smashed them and they won with 2 free kicks from dives. Redmond ran into the Ward-Prowse zone last night and dived there again so I don't feel in the slightest bit guilty about them not having the rub of the green with those couple of decisions last night.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Monsieur Hazdazler said:

I disagree, we achieved that partially through heroic defending and some good fortune. We shouldn’t be aiming to rely on a few millimetres in an offside call, because that could easily have gone against us.

And yet that’s football and happens up and down the professional leagues... especially for the top 6 teams. 

Edited by Tommo_b

17 hours ago, useless said:

Well deserved win, seems like some have been spoilt, we can't play like Brazil in the airport every game. All that matters is the three points and getting back on track, failing to win today would have meant just one win in six, but as it now we can say we've won two of the last three.

Any old excuse for the GOAT football advert;

• Thanks 1

To have more league wins from just the first half of this season than the whole of last season is amazing! Well done team!

I'm always a nervous wreck during our league matches, following with the BBC live text, but last night I was worse than usual because of the prospect of us ending up with four defeats from five games or just one win from six. And Southampton's attempts figure of doom kept going up and up steadily, I really thought a dreaded equaliser was going to appear at any moment at the top of the page but it never came, phewwww !

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SuperTed said:

We’ve been on the receiving end of a few of those though and we’ve always slated the ref and/or VAR official after. I imagine if you went on the Southampton forum now they’re talking about Mike Dean 😂

Not me, the only decisions I have complained about this season are the Man City offside (which since has proven incorrectly called), and the Watkins disallowed goal against WHU on the basis that if it was offside then we should have had a penalty. *just remembered the Pogba incident as well, felt he kicked his own leg before he went down.

I think these tight VAR offside calls have been going on long enough now for all fans of all clubs to know they get chalked off due to the slightest of margins, and we've had far more of these go against us than the opposition we have been playing anyway. No one likes it, but at least its the same for all teams. If they had allowed that last night then there would have been uproar from every other team whos had an identical goal disallowed. They set the standard and have to stick with it until an overhaul of the system.

For me the Cash handball incident is pretty similar to the Trez pen that wasnt given, their player got the slightest of touches on the ball and with the rules as they are the penalty could not then be given. So for Cash to have had that slight deflection off his thigh in the same way can not then be given with the rules as they are.

Doesnt stop fans moaning, but when they actually analyse the 2 incidents I'm sure they will realise they were correct calls once the red mist has cleared. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Regarding keeping the ball, Southampton were pressing really hard and making it difficult to gain momentum. As I said in another post, I think we are having a few concentration issues post covid but it's nothing we can't improve on. A few bad decisions and not enough sharpness at times.

The last side we played that pressed us like that was Leeds and we got hammered so to come away from there with the win is impressive.

Agree with you about resilience. Build from the back as the old saying goes. We've certainly done that. Amazing turnaround.

I agree with you countering the press is something we are working on.....

I never thought we would get anything there...SO DELIGHTED.

on another note..........Jack really is amazing, got to be one of our best of all time.....Martinez is trying to catch him up.

Apologies I'm sure this has been covered but I've been tied up at work so I couldn't get on VT.

Why did we wear sky blue shorts yesterday? We don't have sky blue shorts as part of any of the official 3 kits - Why wouldn't we wear the home white ones?

12 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Apologies I'm sure this has been covered but I've been tied up at work so I couldn't get on VT.

Why did we wear sky blue shorts yesterday? We don't have sky blue shorts as part of any of the official 3 kits - Why wouldn't we wear the home white ones?

We didn’t wear the black ones presumably cause saints had black shorts (think this is a thing)

Only guess is that they didn’t want to mix and match home and away 🤷‍♂️

Â