Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/02/21 at 23:59

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

And we easily could not have then what would you say? 

Say barkley picked up another injury then would you be saying that?

Madness not to make subs when we have a midweek game then another next week.  Need to protect the squad

What if he had made a substitution and we had lost? Then what would you be saying? I can hazard a guess. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This wasn't an ugly win. It was a shit housery win.

Still have no idea how we got away with that.

Playing like that we'll lose more than we'll win.

We should be happy with the 3 points but we need to be miles better against West Ham.

Football is like that , frustrating. Burnley game went the other way but  similar pattern, just we lost out. The Man city and man u games were lost on very debatable decisions, you can't have it both ways unless your a member of the sky 6 

48 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Didn't see any Villa fans or players complain about VAR yesterday. The hypocrisy is just silly. When a decision goes against your team VAR is a disgrace. There is an agenda against Villa and it needs to be removed.

When it goes in your favor. Dead silence from the players, fans and staff.

I thought both Watkins disallowed goal against West Ham and Ings goal yesterday was a disgrace.

Also thought it should have been a pen. Cash makes himself bigger for me and it's a clear pen.

Not sure where you are coming from mate. I think most here admit the handball was rather lucky although understand why peno wasn't given. As for the offside,  nothing to do with var being wrong we were just thankful Cash's butt isn't as big as another of our player. Its quite different to say Watkins offside goal vs WH where you go through all slow mo and line drawn but they all missed the foul on him. 

You just enjoy the 2pm game later today you may feel a bit better then

Edited by HongKongVillan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think most Villa fans have taken the view that the decisions went our way last night but feel also that there is a sense of balancing up past injustices. 

VAR is clearly not being used in the spirit of the game but the only sensible view to take, until anyone does anything about it, is, “you win some you lose some”.

Try not to sound so disappointed when we win, no matter how crushed you feel inside. 

Just calling out people being inconsistent.

One week when it goes against us fans are calling out VAR and want it removed.

The next week and it goes in our favor it's fine and we won't speak about it.

This is the exact reason Premier League is not taking the fans any seriously.

VAR was a disgrace agianst West Ham on the Ollie disallowed goal and it was a disgrace yesterday on Ings disallowed goal. For me VAR needs to go.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Didn't see any Villa fans or players complain about VAR yesterday. The hypocrisy is just silly. When a decision goes against your team VAR is a disgrace. There is an agenda against Villa and it needs to be removed.

When it goes in your favor. Dead silence from the players, fans and staff.

I thought both Watkins disallowed goal against West Ham and Ings goal yesterday was a disgrace.

Also thought it should have been a pen. Cash makes himself bigger for me and it's a clear pen.

I hope Leicester smash scummy Leeds 5 nil, and all the goals are the result of VAR decisions.

• Haha 2

Voted Watkins motm, thought he was so important to us today.

Lucky on the pen. It clearly comes off his thigh onto his hand but we’d be fuming if it wasn’t given at the other end.

As for the offside and it being ‘unfair’, we’ve had more than our share of them already this season.

Great to get the 3 points in one of the toughest fixtures of the season on paper (given our woeful record against them).

What a lot of people have failed to realise is, that VAR merely agreed with the on pitch officials last night. So without VAR nothing in this game would have changed materially. 

Particularly in the case of the offside decision at the end. The linesman had his flag straight up and watching it back from his angle in real time it looked more offside than it did with the line drawing nonsense. 

• Like 1

Absolute robbery last night and I feel for Saints fans. They did enough for at least a point and were shafted by VAR. We know that feeling all too well.

With that graciousness out of the way, what a bloody good 3 points. Makes up for the Burnley reverse and then some. It is nice to play poorly and take a win for once, although it’s bad for my health to cling on for the last 20 mins and rely on a 93’ VAR decision 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Just calling out people being inconsistent.

One week when it goes against us fans are calling out VAR and want it removed.

The next week and it goes in our favor it's fine and we won't speak about it.

There are loads of people talking about it, both in the match thread, in here, and in the refereeing topics in other football.

Che Adams’ foot may originally land on Martinez’s hand inadvertently (at the very least that part is hard to prove), but once it does there’s no doubt his next actions are entirely deliberate: pivoting unnaturally on the foot with the hand beneath it, putting his whole weight through those blades and onto the trapped fingers. Very sly, very nasty and could very easily have put our keeper out for weeks. 

• Like 1

Â