The Reinvention of the Offside Law

KentVillan

This story up on bbc now. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55814673

It seems that all the professional bodies agree that the goal that we all said was offside, and should not stand, was OK when it was scored against us by Man City ;  but if anyone tries it in the future, it's not allowed and will be penalised.

So they admit it was incorrect - do we get a replay ? 

But referees group the Professional Game Match Officials Limited, rulemakers the International Football Association Board, and European governing body Uefa have since offered clarification on how such an incident should be interpreted in the future.

"Where a player in an offside position immediately impacts on an opponent who has deliberately played the ball, the match officials should prioritise challenging an opponent for the ball, and thus the offside offence of 'interfering with an opponent by impacting on the opponent's ability to play the ball' should be penalised."

The statement from the Premier League added: "Accordingly, if a similar situation to the one involving Rodri's impact on Mings occurred in a future match, then the impact would be penalised for offside."

Edited by richp999
  • Thanks 3

Its a farce, the FA really are incompetent with regards to officiating, there is so much wrong with the standard of reffing, the role and oversight of VAR etc. The game was better before VAR for me, its best when the rules are simple, and its feels there were far fewer reasons to gripe at retrospective replay analysis identified error than the deliberate VAR forensic millimetre analysis that we have now when the spirit of the game is being eroded. Its a real mess right now and after last season VAR's introduction and subsequent criticism I thought it would omprove but it just hasnt, and whats worse, their ego prevent them from addressing the problems. 

• Like 1

As far as I can remember, it all began with the 'not offside if not interfering with play'.

If you are not interfering with play, you shouldn't be on the pitch. Its nonsense.

We need to go back to calling offside when *anyone* is offside ; regardless of whether they might or might not be in someone's field of view or might or might not have touched something..

Edited by richp999
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

The game should be replayed. No argument!

We’d have a good case if we wanted to go take that route. I raised this point as a possible explanation for the initial insistance on the decision being right, actually. Not seeing something, or making a wrong call, is fine, accepted. But wrongly applying the rules of football, that is one of the few grounds you have for having a game replayed. I don’t think we’ll pursue it, but we’d have a pretty good case. 

• Like 1

So basically they got it totally wrong and now they have changed the rules again. Oh great.

Well its to late for us isn't it, they should have obviously realised that at the time. I mean what is the point of var?

People say well Villa would have lost anyway. B*ll*cks. You just don't know we could have drawn that or even nicked a  win. You never know that could make the difference for us getting into Europe or not. They should at least cancel that goal in the record books and make it 1-0, and gives us +1 better GD.

They should also immediately apologise to Smith and donate his fine to  a charity. He was in the right. They were clearly wrong. Its completely sh*te, giving the big teams a win. Words removed.

I am sorry I am a bit hangry, I need  to make my tea.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, a-k said:

Antonio looks offside when Cresswell plays the FK, clearly interfering with play by barely missing a header. VAR check...not for offside but for handball?!?

Feels like they can only check one thing at a time. It's so bizarre.

7 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Credit to @Rob182 for this one.

That is what make me angry & Stress, I always remind them non-villa fans, this a "FACT" is Villa players are not happy with Nyland and Davis, they are accept this was actual goal end of the line - own goal By Nyland with Davis bump him into goal, and Villa players were walking toward restart kick off spot, and ref stop us and why do it, he order us to carry on from goalkick as watch say no goal and lineman say no goal, ref say no goal!

Aston Villa's players was like ok carry on as ref, Sheffield United players was very angry and Villa say we accept this goal but ref order us to carry on what we can do as Ref is control the match as we learn our mistake vs Leeds United (Credit to Beisla allowed us, we should do allowed sheffied to goal again to help out and honest mistake ref yet we can't afford do this as Ref and VAR mess to us big time last year why should we do this, they didn't help us)

These Fans keep say blames us and called us cheat, and we lucky, you should've go down because Sheffield games.

I often told them LOOK in our shoes; - in our last season we would have 6-9 ish points - VAR and Ref mistake no sent off ie Billings and other players as well and ref call not allowed goal cos Grealish diving (award them free kick), we was robbed and Be honest was luck that sheffield united goal never awards, we get away this so feel like karma undo we go down as we not deserves this.

Bottom line: IT IS ACTUALLY REF and VAR, Hawkeyes fault not our. They rival fans; paint us bad team and cheat, they forget about other stuff only Sheffield United as it is was Ref and VARs or Hawkeyes BIGGEST Shock mistake, 2nd is was Grealish "diving when actually suppose pen cos Cahill foul him few yard before he fall down, yet he pass to Lansbury to score goal so no need pen as advanagte play on if it actually our pen VAR didnt help ref to correct the mistake"

Edited by Danny_Villaman84
forget grammar rules in some area.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, richp999 said:

This story up on bbc now. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55814673

It seems that all the professional bodies agree that the goal that we all said was offside, and should not stand, was OK when it was scored against us by Man City ;  but if anyone tries it in the future, it's not allowed and will be penalised.

So they admit it was incorrect - do we get a replay ? 

But referees group the Professional Game Match Officials Limited, rulemakers the International Football Association Board, and European governing body Uefa have since offered clarification on how such an incident should be interpreted in the future.

"Where a player in an offside position immediately impacts on an opponent who has deliberately played the ball, the match officials should prioritise challenging an opponent for the ball, and thus the offside offence of 'interfering with an opponent by impacting on the opponent's ability to play the ball' should be penalised."

The statement from the Premier League added: "Accordingly, if a similar situation to the one involving Rodri's impact on Mings occurred in a future match, then the impact would be penalised for offside."

I think this is all mental. The referees are actually being told that offside players ‘interfering with an opponent by impacting on the opponent’s ability to play the ball should be penalised’

We had a word for that back in the day. It was called OFFSIDE!

They need to stop pricking about with rules that have worked fine for decades, just to accommodate technology that penalises players for being 0.01mm offside. Has it made the game better? Absolutely not. 

• Like 4

Just watched the Rob Dorsett explanation video on sky sports... he has the audacity to claim Watkins was offside, how has he come to that judgement when there wasn’t even a VAR check with all the coloured lines. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Just watched the Rob Dorsett explanation video on sky sports... he has the audacity to claim Watkins was offside, how has he come to that judgement when there wasn’t even a VAR check with all the coloured lines. 

I saw him earlier, he was talking complete bollocks throughout.  In all my time watching football I've never seen the rules interpreted the way they have in our last two matches.  It's farcical that the FA have even had to come out with this 'clarification' of something that pretty much anyone who has watched a serious amount of football should know.  I'm 100% sure Rodri only tackled Mings in order to give away a free kick for offside so he could gain some time to get back into position.  They need a proper clear out of the ex-refs who are in charge of VAR and get either Clattenburg or Webb in charge.  Obviously neither were perfect but they seemed to know what they were doing and got top FIFA and UEFA matches.

• Like 1

Â