The Reinvention of the Offside Law

KentVillan

By the rules I thought I thought I knew, he's offside and it shouldn't have counted. 

They didnt give the reason of him being behind the ball as the reason it stood. They didnt even check it because Schar played it, regardless of Watkins being offside before. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Thanks 1

Should’ve been offside if he was offside, the touch by the defender doesn’t negate that because Watkins didn’t receive it from him after a deliberate play. Crazy that it happened back to us literally the first goal we scored after the incident. The new rule, if that’s what it is, is bollocks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Dale said:

Think Watkins behind the ball when played... 

yep I said in my post - he might have been on because of that (although others disagreeing)

My point is VAR have said they didn’t review because of Schar’s touch. That’s madness. The rule never used to be interpreted like this.

• Like 2

Why are the pundits happy with this rule change? Can they not see that it’s completely mental that a touch like that would play someone onside.

Strangely I actually wish Watkins had been stood a couple of yards further forward. It would have outlined the stupidity of this new rule if he’d been yards offside but that touch had played him onside.

How long is this rule going to last before they backtrack?

• Like 3

Their mess up in our game vs City has literally changed the interpretation of the rule overnight. They can’t go back now. 

their own stupid fault. Hope it causes carnage all over the place for other sides. 

• Like 1

Yeah regardless of whether he is behind the ball or not, that needs to be checked. Watkins being there influences Schar. 

Otherwise a striker can just stand near a defender, force a mistake and run onto it. 

They've broken the game protecting a ref who isnt for for purpose in either sense of the word. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Michelsen said:

I could swear he was behind the ball?

He might have been, it was very close. The issue is that it wasn’t even checked. We’ve had goals that have looked as onside as that one ruled out by Watkins’ shirt sleeve before.

The touch by the defender now means that Watkins couldn’t have been offside even if he was offside going by the rules that have been in place forever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

I could swear he was behind the ball?

Not the point mate. They said they didnt even check it because Schar played it. He may be behind the ball but they should be checking it, as I understood the rules as Watkins influences him. 

• Like 1

Just now, tom_avfc said:

He might have been, it was very close. The issue is that it wasn’t even checked. We’ve had goals that have looked as onside as that one ruled out by Watkins’ shirt sleeve before.

The touch by the defender now means that Watkins couldn’t have been offside even if he was offside going by the rules that have been in place forever. 

It did take just a few seconds for them to kick off again, so to me it felt like they were giving it a look. If they’ve dismissed it right off the bat because of Schar’s touch, then that would be confirmation of a complete reinvention of the offside rule, but I’m not sure they’ve done that. 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Not the point mate. They said they didnt even check it because Schar played it. He may be behind the ball but they should be checking it, as I understood the rules as Watkins influences him. 

I thought they checked every goal on var ?

but that said I think the bloke checking it probably muttered under his breath “ ffs why me “ and gave it 

Â