The Reinvention of the Offside Law

KentVillan

28 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Any better?

image.thumb.png.eb235f69f82ba947c853345e4ac97156.png

I don't have a proper point of reference for the line in the middle and I think it should even be more of an angle leaving more of Ollie's knee off.

Like I said, it doesn't matter, it's just an interesting thought exercise for me. 

The ‘reference point’ would be the 18 yard line. You run other measurement lines parallel to this datum. At least that’s how I would do it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

To be fair to Moss, it isn't his mistake. His lino has made a mistake, but understandable in the circumstances.

The VAR mistake is poor, but still somewhat understandable.

What is unforgivable is the doubling down, and getting Peter Walton to backtrack on live TV, and then briefing Sky that the same rule had been applied in the Newcastle game, and then this bullshit face saving exercise.

**** pathetic.

I'd hold Moss partly responsible for this mistake too. Its a bit different to a normal offside call in that Rodri was so far offside that even the linesman from the other end of the pitch could have flagged it. They're all mic'ed up to each other so between that referee team not a single one of them thought that this was offside. That to me highlights the problem that we have with the standard of officiating . 

In that article  from Sky Sports it also says this. However, if for example, an attacking player in an offside position receives the ball from a misplaced pass or miskick by an opponent, that attacking player will not be flagged offside - a situation which Aston Villa benefitted from against Newcastle on Saturday, when Fabian Schar's attempted clearance fell to Ollie Watkins, who scored with a header.

If we are going to persist with this interpretation of the rules applying to Schar's attempted block of a cross then I foresee another rule clarification to be on its way in a couple of weeks time when they realise how ridiculous this makes the game of football too. Admittedly Watkins is onside when the ball is played but as soon as goal is given that would have been offside because of a touch like Schars we can expect these rules to be "interpreted differently" going forwards.

Edited by tom_avfc

7 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

The ‘reference point’ would be the 18 yard line. You run other measurement lines parallel to this datum. At least that’s how I would do it.

The left line is over the top of a pitch cutting line so I'm using 2 reference points. What I'm saying is there's no exact reference point of what exact angle to make the line through the ball.

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

speak for yourself buddy

Would be have a go myself but do not think I could avoid the temptation to draw large appendages on the players and other puerile shenanigans 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

That does seem ludicrous to me, making it so a defender has to work out whether someone behind him is just about on or offside and decide whether to try and intercept it.  I think Watkins was just about onside but it was very tight, if he was actually offside when the cross came in and got played onside by the defender trying to cut out the cross it would be almost as daft as the decision over the Rodri tackle imo.

As for our goal against Sheffield United last season, that was an error with technology, not stupid human interpretation of the laws of the game.  I guess it's just used by other fans to troll us and to be fair we would probably do the same to other fans.

Exactly. They can't be serious. Schar only plays the ball because Watkins is behind him. That's a text book definition of affecting play. 

These two city idiots still not admitting they’ve got it wrong all because the article says “the PGMOL are still adamant the right call was made” 

then WHY did they change it days later?

their opinion: “because people moaned” 

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Presumably they drop the charges again Smith  now

Would be nice wouldn't it?

However, under the new guidance notes issued by the PGMOL today, even if the referee is in fact a "f****ng p**ck" managers are still liable for punishment if they refer to him as a "f****ng p**ck" as all rules are administered and subject to continual review by the f****ng p***ks at the FA.

• Haha 4

Do they realize they are compounding their error if they persist with this bogus interpretation of the Watkins goal. My goodness the amount of words that have to be uttered to cover up for what would have been a one sentence mea culpa. 

Why is it reporters have to write these articles second hand from a PMGOL spokesman. Why can't they just come out and clearly explain it themselves. It just further clouds everything. 

• Like 1

Classic 'we're right even when we're wrong'.

What's funnier is everyone on twitter/message boards lecturing people who rightly thought this was in fact offside. At least with that clarification now everyone can say they were indeed ... right 😃 what a mess. 

• Thanks 1

Hmmmm, this is all mildly scandalous is it not?

The instincts of an operation rather reveal the morality at play here wouldn't you say?

Particularly depressing is just how many hollowed-out 'football people' this teases out of the woodwork to march in lockstep with those that lay down the law and shout the loudest.  All conducted with a barely suppressed, but nonetheless deeply insecure, righteous, sadistic glee.  Nary a thought about the 'beautiful game' or some lip service to an idea of a foundational ethics supposedly essential to the English game, just the brute gratification of hollering with self-satisfaction at the Big Boy Table.  Sign of the times I guess. 

May Jack dance around the sweaty, beleaguered lunges of their banality! 😃

Edited by Shomin Geki
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Classic 'we're right even when we're wrong'.

What's funnier is everyone on twitter/message boards lecturing people who rightly thought this was in fact offside. At least with that clarification now everyone can say they were indeed ... right 😃 what a mess. 

If you check my tweet above city fans still think it was onside and right because of the statement made today by the PGMOL. The faceless organisation that doesn’t even have its own website or info. 

2 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

What is this madness!  It's like Trump has broken truth in 2021. Does Sky think people are that dumb? It's clear why the Watkins goal stood and it wasn't because of desperate deflection from a Newcastle defender. 

Just admit you got it wrong. Dean is a class manager. He will accept the apology and move on. Enough said. 

Apparently BBCs Match of The Day drew the offside line from Matt Targetts standing leg, so they could convince people of their narrative that we benefitted from the same rule by showing Watkins slightly ahead of the defender.

They don't even know if a player is behind the ball then he can't be offside, or they were banking on people just falling for it. Can they really not know the basics of the offside law? I'm glad I haven't paid the TV licence for 15 years.

• Like 2

Â