• Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Ramsey (Barkley 68)
    • El Ghazi (Traoré 68)
    • Taylor (Targett 75)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/01/21 at 23:59

When I initially saw the goal I didn't think it was offside 'cos I thought the next phase of play started once Mings controlled it. However, after seeing the replay I don't think he's got the ball anywhere near in control enough for it to be considered a new phase of play. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richp999 said:

Ok just for clarity, from the FA website, rules of offside:

Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

So there we have it - he clearly did all three of those bolded points.

It is offside, by the rules. We were cheated.

I don't think i've ever seen such a blatant case of corruption in football.

but the ball didn't get played from his team mate. Mings tried to turn him. 

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

**** John Moss

He's everything wrong with refs, overweight, old, arrogant

But we need technology to help him? **** that we just need someone better 

I knew when he was officiating, we need to play like Barcelona.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richp999 said:

Ok just for clarity, from the FA website, rules of offside:

Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

So there we have it - he clearly did all three of those bolded points.

It is offside, by the rules. We were cheated.

I don't think i've ever seen such a blatant case of corruption in football.

He is running towards Mings from an offside position. That's about as obvious an action as you can get. How is this missed with VAR. Did they even look?

VAR loves to draw the lines and then in the most obvious offside ever they can't even be bothered. Fuming! 😡😡

• Like 1

Just now, pacbuddies said:

The player gained an advantage by coming from an offside position when City played the ball forward. If the player had been in front of Mings he would have seen the challenge coming. Anyone that argues orherwise is stupid as if that goal is legitimate then every striker in the league can lawfully stand in an offside position when the ball is played forward and attack the defence from behind to gain an advantage!

Exactly. If what Rodri (or whatever is name is) did was legal then it completely negates the offside rule.

• Like 2

And we've not even started on the penalty that should not have been given.

Over the last few weeks there have been a few cases of defenders touching the ball with hands and penalties not being given - a kind a relaxing of the rules that had become a bit stupid.

We had 2 handball shouts that were not given, and probably shouldn't have been even though they did touch the defender's hand.

Cash was looking in the opposite direction.

We will always be playing 13 men.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

Peter Walton changed his mind, onside now.

He was corrected by the PL. If that can happen it's pointless having him there. Best case scenario Peter Walton doesn't know the rules. Worst case scenario - the rules change on the fly.

It was always going to be a tough game for many reasons.

I was getting my hopes up we would either snatch it or hang in there for a draw....until the referee stopped us due to his misunderstanding the rule about offside and interference. Well done Dean Smith for pointing this out to the fat man in black but alas then VAR shafts us again. How many times?!

I gave MOTM to Martinez for several great saves.

But I was close to giving it to Targett for his heroic displays, some great interceptions and tackles.

Great team performance but Villa need to catch-up and kick on winning the games in hand.

We probably need a couple of players in too just incase we start picking up injuries as we have a lot of games to play and I foresee some problems if we don't.

Up the Villa.

It was always going to be a tough game for many reasons.

I was getting my hopes up we would either snatch it or hang in there for a draw....until the referee stopped us due to his misunderstanding the rule about offside and interference. Well done Dean Smith for pointing this out to the fat man in black but alas then VAR shafts us again. How many times?!

I gave MOTM to Martinez for several great saves.

But I was close to giving it to Targett for his heroic displays, some great interceptions and tackles.

Great team performance but Villa need to catch-up and kick on winning the games in hand.

We probably need a couple of players in too just incase we start picking up injuries as we have a lot of games to play and I foresee some problems if we don't.

Up the Villa.

Â