• Grealish
    • Watkins
    • Ramsey (Barkley 68)
    • El Ghazi (Traoré 68)
    • Taylor (Targett 75)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/01/21 at 23:59

The vagueness of the rules helps them cover up when they want to give ‘a subjective’ decision. They won’t change it because then they won’t be in control anymore.

Day one of: how to stay in control and keep power.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 3

I credit Man City at Etihad with a 3.5-0 win at the start of every campaign so I am happy we got to use the most hopeless fixture of the season to gain some match fitness for the Newcastle game and not destroy our goal difference in the process. 

Regarding the first goal I will just borrow Trevor Morley's summary on Norwegian TV: "If that's the rules, it's absolutely rubbish ... there's no common sense in it" and "If that's the rules, and I believe you [pundit] because you're more clever than me and you're younger than me, I'm with Dean Smith

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Watching it back on the highlights as the ball comes down you can see Mings look right to   see if there are any attackers around to pressure him , seeing it is clear he makes the decision to chest the ball .... unaware a player who IS 15 yards offside is going to come and tackle him .

it’s a tough competition but I actually think this one is even worse than the Grealish one v palace 

Yep he's so far offside he's not even in Mings' thinking. I hope Dean tells Watkins to do the same from now on.

The roller coaster of being a Villa fan continues.😀

A good team performance after the Covid episode & on the whole we seem to have come through this in reasonable shape. We rode our luck at times but also fashioned some good openings which we did not turn into real chances. Hopefully Barkley will be a bit sharper after this outing. Traore showed some good touches but we do leave the RHside wide open when he plays. Martinez again looked class. Poor old Ollie looks lonely but hopefully will get back in the goals at the weekend.

Now for the not so funny bits. To me he was clearly offside and gains an advantage by coming from this position. That said, Mings again wants to overplay and get caught out. Two wrongs certainly don't make a right in this case. Up until this incident I though the ref was having a good game.

Then another doggy penalty conceded in Manchester. No need to stop the front page there.

If we do land Morgan Sanson, it may allow us to go to four in midfield in games like this, even if not starting with a 4. I hope Targett's injury is not too serious. 

Onwards! UTV

Just now, PaulC said:

So Dermot Gallagher didnt even know what the rule was before he came on and obviously going to take the side of the ref. 

Look at his face and tell me he doesn't know there's corruption. His manner is sheepish. He knows but predictably is sticking up for his cronies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

The player gained an advantage by coming from an offside position when City played the ball forward. If the player had been in front of Mings he would have seen the challenge coming. Anyone that argues orherwise is stupid as if that goal is legitimate then every striker in the league can lawfully stand in an offside position when the ball is played forward and attack the defence from behind to gain an advantage!

1 hour ago, Danishlad said:

but the ball didn't get played from his team mate. Mings tried to turn him. 

🤔🤔

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Watching it back on the highlights as the ball comes down you can see Mings look right to   see if there are any attackers around to pressure him , seeing it is clear he makes the decision to chest the ball .... unaware a player who IS 15 yards offside is going to come and tackle him .

it’s a tough competition but I actually think this one is even worse than the Grealish one v palace 

I don’t think it’s even tough competition. This decision is the worst decision I’ve ever seen. I reckon 90% of people watching that game were waiting for the offside to be given.

Anybody who’s watched a game of football in their life knows that that’s offside. I don’t care what silly wording of rules people pull out. It’s offside.

I think the league trying to defend that decision is going to prove worse for them in the long run than if they’d just come out and said they got it wrong. It’s legitimised a tactic that seeks to score goals that feel unfair to everybody watching the game.

• Like 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Of course if Mings does what Owen is  saying sarcastically what  he has to do , a different Man City player could then have run onto the ball unchallenged ... it’s completely farcical 

Exactly. Either way, it totally negates the offside rule. No point in having it any more. Let's just play school playground football from now on.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The handball was also a joke. I am so sick of the officiating in this league 

The second call was a get out jail off the first.....otherwise we would have lost 1-0 and cost us 3 points.....2 goals removes that claim.

so sinister.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Look at his face and tell me he doesn't know there's corruption. His manner is sheepish. He knows but predictably is sticking up for his cronies.

He’s obviously been fed lines. This is a racket. Refs don’t criticise refs. It’s so painfully obvious. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

But he wasn't overplaying. There wasn't an opposition player anywhere near him so he was right to bring the ball down and try and set up an attack. He had no reason to hoof it upfield.

Ok. Overplaying may be harsh but he does get caught in possession more than any of our other defenders.

• Like 1

Â