Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

Rumour has it he demanded answers on why he hasn't been given a chance, why he's always first sub sacrificed when he does and why McGinn starts regardless of form and plays the 90 minutes despite being often the worst player on the pitch and practically invisible.

"He's thrown a kettle over a pub" was the response

• Haha 3

On 23/04/2022 at 12:04, weedman said:

Completely off topic but I was so happy when we signed Veretout, you could just tell he was gonna be a good player. Unfortunately he joined during the lowest period in my memory for coaching and he just never got anywhere near up to the required standard fitness wise for us, which made his whole game suffer and let's be honest, he was awful for us. I had such high hopes and he put in Drinkwater esque performances due to many reasons already covered. 

Back on topic, Sanson is a decent player but he's not going to be as good as Veretout, and conversely has played much better for us than Veretout ever did

Veretout performed a hell of a lot better than Drinkwater did for us. And how can you say Sanson isn't already as good as Veretout?

Edited by Tom13

Have to agree, whilst the fact is an unknown missing couple of games isn't in itself an indication of a player being finished here. The feeling is he's just not in the plans and so they're no longer wasting minutes on him.

I feel like it's a massive shame and could be a mistake but does feel like he's done here. Would love to be wrong but if he's not what Gerrard wants then we may as well cash in and try and get £10m for him to recoup some money now - but think we'll struggle to get that much back for him.

7 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Veretout performed a hell of a lot better than Drinkwater did for us. And how can you say Sanson isn't already as good as Veretout?

You've got a point.

Sanson was already highly rated and a Champions League player when we signed him, was actually considered a coup.

How do we continually toss it up with French players? Ffs 🤦🏿

Vertout got their AFTER he left us.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Did he? From my memory he was sluggish and miles off the pace from minute 1 with us, just like Drinkwater was (of course he went on to have a very good career after leaving, unlike Drinkwater). I'm not blaming him necessarily, we were an absolute shambles run by probably the worst coaching setup I've ever seen at a football club overseen by an owner who didn't give a shit, but some of his performances were embarrassing. For comparison Gueye was also fairly poor for us, but he put in some good performances here and there and actually established himself as an important player in our midfield 

On to Sanson, aside from the odd game where he's been a 6 or 7 out of 10, has he shown us anything? No goals, assists, I don't remember and shots or even key passes (of course I could be wrong). He's performed better for us than Veretout ever did, but that's a low bar.

He's struggling to get any minutes in a midfield just about everyone agrees is by far the weakest part of our squad, and this is now under 2 different managers and coaching setups, so it's more than just a manager not rating him. 

As I've said before, I like him and I think he's a good player from what I've seen, but I just have a feeling he's going to go somewhere and play regularly and we'll all see he's actually not that good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, weedman said:

Did he? From my memory he was sluggish and miles off the pace from minute 1 with us, just like Drinkwater was (of course he went on to have a very good career after leaving, unlike Drinkwater). I'm not blaming him necessarily, we were an absolute shambles run by probably the worst coaching setup I've ever seen at a football club overseen by an owner who didn't give a shit, but some of his performances were embarrassing. For comparison Gueye was also fairly poor for us, but he put in some good performances here and there and actually established himself as an important player in our midfield 

On to Sanson, aside from the odd game where he's been a 6 or 7 out of 10, has he shown us anything? No goals, assists, I don't remember and shots or even key passes (of course I could be wrong). He's performed better for us than Veretout ever did, but that's a low bar.

He's struggling to get any minutes in a midfield just about everyone agrees is by far the weakest part of our squad, and this is now under 2 different managers and coaching setups, so it's more than just a manager not rating him. 

As I've said before, I like him and I think he's a good player from what I've seen, but I just have a feeling he's going to go somewhere and play regularly and we'll all see he's actually not that good. 

Yeah, Veretout showed plenty for us. Probably struggled initially but you could tell he was a player.

Sanson has played nowhere near enough to even think about his goals and assists, not sure why you'd judge him on that.

He's done plenty in Ligue 1 (and put up decent numbers), and looked good when he's played for us, so not sure how you come to the conclusion that he'll be outed as not being very good. Our two most recent managers just love McGinn far too much.

On 30/04/2022 at 16:14, Tom13 said:

Yeah, Veretout showed plenty for us. Probably struggled initially but you could tell he was a player.

Sanson has played nowhere near enough to even think about his goals and assists, not sure why you'd judge him on that.

He's done plenty in Ligue 1 (and put up decent numbers), and looked good when he's played for us, so not sure how you come to the conclusion that he'll be outed as not being very good. Our two most recent managers just love McGinn far too much.

He's played more than 7 full games worth of matches for us already. That's more than enough time for us to expecting some kind of offensive output. But he hasn't even gotten close. Nevermind goals and assists, he barely has any shots or key passes to begin with. And if you looked through his ligue 1 stats, you can see goals and assists are supposed to be his bread and butter. So the fact that he's showing nothing on that front is concerning.

And that's the thing, I don't think he's looked good the vast majority of time when he's played for us and I'm not sure what people are seeing in him. For example, one of the common things said about Sanson is that he is "tidy" when his passing accuracy in both seasons for us are close to Mcginn's in how bad they are. One of his loose passes directly caused us to conceded against United in one of the few starts afforded to him and people still called him "tidy" that game . Let me tell you if Mcginn did that, this forum wouldn't shut about it for the next couple of weeks. And at least Mcginn does provide something offensively, Sanson has not.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He's played more than 7 full games worth of matches for us already. That's more than enough time for us to expecting some kind of offensive output. But he hasn't even gotten close. Nevermind goals and assists, he barely has any shots or key passes to begin with. And if you looked through his ligue 1 stats, you can see goals and assists are supposed to be his bread and butter. So the fact that he's showing nothing on that front is concerning.

And that's the thing, I don't think he's looked good the vast majority of time when he's played for us and I'm not sure what people are seeing in him. For example, one of the common things said about Sanson is that he is "tidy" when his passing accuracy in both seasons for us are close to Mcginn's in how bad they are. One of his loose passes directly caused us to conceded against United in one of the few starts afforded to him and people still called him "tidy" that game . Let me tell you if Mcginn did that, this forum wouldn't shut about it for the next couple of weeks. And at least Mcginn does provide something offensively, Sanson has not.

How many times has he played say 60 minutes plus in a single game though? It's hard to build any sort of rhythm in cameo appearances, especially in a new league. It also leads to players often trying too hard, as they've got limited time to try and impress, so they don't play their natural game.

If you don't think he's looked good, I won't be able to convince you otherwise and not sure how you've not seen it. He looks very strong technically, and intelligent. Made a couple of mistakes yes but the reason as to why is probably in my paragraph above.

Just now, Tom13 said:

How many times has he played say 60 minutes plus in a single game though? It's hard to build any sort of rhythm in cameo appearances, especially in a new league. It also leads to players often trying too hard, as they've got limited time to try and impress, so they don't play their natural game.

If you don't think he's looked good, I won't be able to convince you otherwise and not sure how you've not seen it. He looks very strong technically, and intelligent. Made a couple of mistakes yes but the reason as to why is probably in my paragraph above.

How many times has he started 2 or 3 games in a row

• Like 1

On 30/04/2022 at 09:14, Tom13 said:

From what I recall I thought Veretout started quite well but his form and confidence dropped during the absolute shit show of  a season. You could tell he had talent and his career recovered once he left us. That season was toxic so not surprising  he struggled.

On 30/04/2022 at 00:56, weedman said:

We absolutely were a shambles but both of them showed plenty of quality that a large group of fans could tell it was a big mistake letting them go cheap. As you say though the actual mistakes happened earlier and there were a lot more of them than management of a couple of midfielders! All very toxic as @The Fun Factory says.

As a fan base though (well and as a modern society) we are fairly impatient with players which means a lot struggle then go on to be better elsewhere - you can even see back in the Grealish thread in our first season back quite a few people on here were saying he was a Championship player and we should bin him off; two seasons later he was £100m.

All this to say I’d always favour giving players more time in a situation like this. There’s definite quality there.

• Like 2

It was screaming for his presence in the last 20. McGinn was blowing out his arse and legs heavy. Sanson is deceptively strong on the ball and can play box to box, has an eye for a forward pass. 

This feels like it's going to be another Veretout situation.

I really like McGinn but the meatball is being churned into mince. 

• Like 2

Â