Pre-match thread

ender4

It'll be all about those opening fifteen minutes, if we can get anything out of that, some pressure, a yellow card or two, a goal, a couple of chances, anything that puts some pressure on them, then I think they'll beat themselves.

• Like 4

Absolutely awful recent record against these. I was there the last time we beat them at Villa Park on New Year's Day in 2008 - typical O'Neill win with both our goals from set pieces.

About time that changed. They played 120 mins on Thursday night, with a certain Mr Kane playing every min of that game. No Son will be a loss. Seems to be major discontent in the dressing room given Lloris' long rant of an interview after the game on Thursday and Kane hasn't given an interview since November.

But without Jack (which I imagine will be the case given the vague answer Dean gave on Friday) we just look toothless going forward. Need Traore, Ollie, McGinn and AEG to start producing in the final third for a change, or it could be another shite game. It's the sort of game someone like Barkley's creativity would be useful, but he looks useless every time he takes to the field.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

I think Barkley will start.

Would probably have him in the Jack role and AEG on other side and three in CM with McGinn pushing forward like he did 1st game of last season when he kept on running beyond their defence 1st half.

Think that's our best strategy to win the game. Keep Traore on bench as he'll likely be a bit sore still and Trez well away from first 11.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Villa87 said:

I think Spurs are going to come out flying with a point to prove. Not optimistic for this. 

You would expect them to be extremely pissy unless they really want the special one gone.It should be fun !!

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If Grealish plays we win

If Grealish doesn't play we don't win

No doubt about it, We are a completely different animal altogether without him! 

Big family rift today. My son-in-law is a Spurs fan, tattoos an all.

He converted my daughter from being a Villa fan, love him to bits but that is his black mark, splitting our family. My grand children are Spurs fans. Where is Jeremy Kyle when you need him.  

WHEN we could go to VP I used to get him a ticket in the away end and the three of us (Me, my lad and the traitor) would journey together and split up at the Holte. Actually used to get some looks walking together in opposing shirts. Cant even go to the pub together today. Come on Villa do it for the Taylors 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think Barkley will start.

Would probably have him in the Jack role and AEG on other side and three in CM with McGinn pushing forward like he did 1st game of last season when he kept on running beyond their defence 1st half.

Think that's our best strategy to win the game. Keep Traore on bench as he'll likely be a bit sore still and Trez well away from first 11.

Not sure how effective Barkley is on the left, but I'd almost be trying to fit him in somewhere where he has runners behind him to win the ball and where he can receive the ball in good areas. We're just not scoring enough at the mo and Smith has to try injecting more creativity and goals in the team.

I actually thought Barkley improved our attack when he came on against Newcastle, but then he lost the ball near his own penalty area which nearly led to a goal for them. He has to use more common sense.

I certainly don't think this is a game for Ramsey. A midfield 3 of Luiz, McGinn and Sanson probably our best bet, possibly Nakamba who has done well against better opposition but his passing limitations might not make him suitable.

Despite how good our defence is, Spurs' strength is their attack. It looks like they are missing Son and you'd think Kane will be knackered, but even so you'd think it will be tough for us to keep a clean sheet.

Their defence I think is their weak link, Højbjerg has been brilliant but their CBs are weak and their RB is weak (whether it's Doherty or Aurier). Our attack has been off form for a while, you would hope eventually it would click again for us and maybe today it will but DS has to alter the midfield a bit because currently it isn't working. 

Given Spurs' weakness at RB (from a defensive point of view at least) it's a shame by the sounds of it Jack won't return. Smith said he will assessed this morning and it's up to Jack whether he plays, which sounds odd because if it's up to him he'll absolutely say he wants to play. So who knows, maybe we'll get a surprise when the teams are announced at 6:30 tonight, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'll be all about those opening fifteen minutes, if we can get anything out of that, some pressure, a yellow card or two, a goal, a couple of chances, anything that puts some pressure on them, then I think they'll beat themselves.

A good start is absolutely vital. Need to start like we did against Wolves but this time take our chances. 

Emi

Elmo     konsa        mings        targett

Doug

Mcginn     ramsey

Trez                   watkins                 aeg

This is what i think we'll see

Bench: heaton, cash, taylor, engels, davis, sanson, barkley.

As some have said, we’ll see which Villa side turn up in the first 15-20 mins. If we start well, I’m confident of a win. If we play like we did at Newcastle we’ll lose.

Don’t have any hope that Jack will play but I’d be surprised if Cash doesn’t start, which is a big boost.

Not even in my wildest dreams can I conceive of anything but a Tottenham victory. If Grealish had have been fit then there might have been a remote chance, but without him we stand no chance whatsoever. Another day passes by, to add to all the other days that have passed by.

• Like 1