Pre-match thread

ender4

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Moura - Allí - Kane - Bale

Bench: Bergwijn

Still makes me more than a little bit nervous!

Pretty sure I read Bergwijn has zero premier league goals and assists this season so despite getting capped by Holland reality is he isn't better than AEG.

Moura had a good game yesterday but he's generally better as a sub but I imagine they'll start him v us and drop Bale. Just don't give him a whole half to run into and you can nulify him. Incredible how bad we were at just gifting them yards to run into constantly in the VP game, just look at the penalty. Reina in fairness was excellent:

We've rarely been cut apart by counter attacks this season so learnt our lesson so just need to approach this match with same mindset.

El Ghazi actually had a really good first half on the right so I'd be happy seeing him there again.

Edited by VillaChris

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Moura had a good game yesterday but he's generally better as a sub but I imagine they'll start him v us and drop Bale. Just don't give him a whole half to run into and you can nulify him. Incredible how bad we were at just gifting them yards to run into constantly in the VP game, just look at the penalty. Reina in fairness was excellent:

Moura has started their last few in the middle hasn't he? With Bale on the right and Son on the left and Kane up top. I think they might move him to a wing to cover the loss of Son/Lamela and bring All into the centre.

My team for this would be:

Martinez

Cash     Konsa     Mings     Targett

Nakamba

McGinn     Luiz     Sanson

Traore/Grealish

Watkins

Pack the midfield, crowd and frustrate them, and hope for something on the break.

Unfortunately, I expect Spurs to dismantle us.  5-1 Spurs

• Haha 1

I'm hoping we play a 4-4(diamond)-2, with a front 6 of:

------------------------ Luiz -------------------------

SJM ------------------------------------ Sanson

----------------------- Jack -------------------------

----------- KD -------------------- Ollie -----------

Gives us a solid three to shield the back 4, Jack (or maybe Traore if fit and Jack is not or, worst case, Barkley).

If Cash is back, then he and Targett will provide much better service than AEG and Trez.

I am really interested to see if Kienan and Ollie could play together - I think this could be interesting.  I wouldn't expect Smith to do this - he is pretty dogmatic with his 4-3-3 - but he obviously went with it in the latter stages against Newcastle.  It also seems to be working pretty well for Rogers and Leicester since they turned it around v Liverpool and beat us with a diamond and have played it since.

5 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Really? It's showing as 2:30am here in Thailand so that's 19:30 UK. 

No I meant we always turn into Aston Villa 1981-82 when we kick off at 7.15pm (Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal and West Brom I think so far this season) so frustratinhly quarter of an hour off that.

Wouldn't shock me with his attention to detail if Mourinho realised this and lobbied Sky to show it 15 minutes later than their usual slot on a Sunday evening to psyche us out.:lol:

Certainly something goes on in our heads when you think how rubbish we are when we kick off at 6pm on a Wednesday for example.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Mike Dean.

Penalty for sure last 15 minutes and red card somewhere along the line.

Don't think our record is that bad with him in charge though, we won away to Wolves for instance with him doing the things above so dosen't give me sense of doom that likes of Pawson and Jon Moss doing our games does knowing we're going to get screwed over by them or VAR.

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Apparently Son injury not as bad as first thought and is now 50-50 for the game against us. Getting assessed throughout the week.

Maybe it's one of those Grealish injuries

51 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Maybe it's one of those Grealish injuries

That’s what I’m hoping...maybe Jose will be seeing if he can start training on grass in the coming days, if he’s very unlucky there might be a short period of illness that will set him back.

• Haha 1