Pre-match thread

ender4

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Is our record actually that bad with him in charge though, I mean we won Wolves away with him around so to me someone like that t*** Moss is in completely different category as I always feel it's near impossible for us to win when he's in charge.

Mike Dean at least gives us a penalty from time to time.

No idea what the stats are with him in charge but even when he's not reffing us if you see a game with 3 red cards and 9 yellows and some controversy it's nailed on it's a Mike Dean game! I always try to see things from both sides and keep a calm level head but no matter how many times I try and go over my conclusion that Mike Dean is a word removed, I always come back to the conclusion that Mike Dean is a word removed. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Targett 

Luiz

Sanson McGinn

Trez                                El Ghazi 

Watkins

That's the best we can hope for. 

How is that the best we can hope for ... virtually the same team and formation that started last Friday, certainly the front three, with Trez the one man whirlwind who just doesn't have the quality to finish and El Ghazi who is determined to try and finish every time he gets the ball and never looks beyond that.

Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

Barkley is a cert to start now I think.

Wouldn't be playing Trez for this, he will miss up too many counter attacks with mediocre decision making.

I'd be o.k with Ollie and then AEG and Barkley either side and then 3 man midfield behind that. Cash starting should at least give us more from full back.

A good time to play them I reckon but I'm still dreading this game. It's negative to say but we just look so lifeless at the moment and it has been a difficult watch. If Grealish is back I'll get excited again but given he will not travel with England I think that is a slim possibility. Therefore I think a battling draw would be a good result on current form, and it would keep us comfortably on track for the top 10. May not make for comfortable viewing though.

2 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

How is that the best we can hope for ... virtually the same team and formation that started last Friday, certainly the front three, with Trez the one man whirlwind who just doesn't have the quality to finish and El Ghazi who is determined to try and finish every time he gets the ball and never looks beyond that.

Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

Our squad is not that big for a start. The only variations to that line up would be Barkley or Nakamba. 

And that Einstein quote is redundant in this case as it doesn't take injuries or opposition into account.

I don't see a better line up than the one I suggested and whatever happens, the 'actual' line up won't be far off that. 

Edited by One For The Road

This is a good time to be playing Spurs. Doesn't mean we'll capitalise on it, but we usually get teams on a new manager bounce or with players coming back from injury. We're getting a side with a key player injured who have just been mortified away from home with a very short rest period. We'll probably still **** it up.

• Like 2

Agreed this will either be Jack is back we win 3-0 and plain sailing into the end of the season. 

Or he isnt back the trudgery continues we start bright for 13 mins, El Ghazi does a 7 min Ronaldo impression. We then generally look mediocre for the rest of the half. Second half the wheels fall off and it looks like 7 of the 11 have only taken up the sport in the last 6 days. Somehow Tottenham win 2-0 despite not having a single shot on target in the whole game. Mourinho is like that cat who got the cream at 90mins, proudly declaring Spurs are BACK in the post match presser. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

And that Einstein quote is redundant in this case as it doesn't take injuries or opposition into account.

I don't see a better line up than the one I suggested and whatever happens, the 'actual' line up won't be far off that. 

I'm not sure Albert was thinking about football when he said that!😉  We do have other options ... we ended up playing a diamond and two up top at the end of the Newcastle game.  And there was no Trez on, albeit El Ghazi played as one of the two strikers.

I don't disagree that Smith will probably go with something similar to what you have set out as he doesn't have a lot of variation in his play book but I would like him not to!

It seems like Jimmy Greaves was still playing for them, the last time that we beat them or at least Glenn Hoddle, but it is not quite as long ago as that, it only seems so. We last beat Spurs at Villa Park in 2008, since then we have drawn two and have lost seven (including our last five), at Villa Park. It is about time that we put a stop to this depressing run of defeats. Overall, we have won 50 and have drawn 34, of the 148 league games, that have been played between the two clubs.

This season there is little to choose between us in the league table and a win would see us move within a point of our visitors with a game in hand. Spurs are not exactly coming to us on a high, having lost 3-0 in Zagreb to go out of the Europa League on Thursday. We have also been below par of late and the continued absence of Jack, would not increase our chances on Sunday night. I've heard said that our visitors need to string a run of wins together to get into Europe, but surely if that is the case, then the same could be said about us! Finishing 8th would be classed as a poor season for Spurs, but for us it would represent significant progress. A win is needed to keep us clear of Arsenal, who have now drawn level on points with us, as well as to stop the gap between the next four clubs and ourselves growing. It would also at least maintain the current gap between ourselves and the clubs at the top, of the bottom half of the table. Make it so Villa! 

This will be a tough one to win. Jose will have let his players know that he wants a reaction from them on Sunday, as always scoring the first goal will be vital for us. Kane seems to score goals for fun against and hopefully both he and Bale (if selected), can be kept in check by our solid defence. Spurs may well be expected to win this one (at least by Lawro and the bookmakers) and a draw does not seem a bad bet. That said, hopefully Ollie can celebrate his England call up with a goal and we can manage another clean sheet. Just win it for us Villa! :flag:    

Edited by John
  • Like 2

Any news on Traore? surprised no one asked the question in the 16 minute pre match presser

We need a bit of quality on the wings, at least on one side.. the thought of El Gahzi and Trez dreads me as neither is very creative

16 minutes ago, Louis said:

Any chance of Wesley and/or Jack being on the bench on Sunday?

No.

If jack is back he will start. Wes needs warm up games over the interval. 

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Any news on Traore? surprised no one asked the question in the 16 minute pre match presser

We need a bit of quality on the wings, at least on one side.. the thought of El Gahzi and Trez dreads me as neither is very creative

Didn't dean say he was ok? 

Just a bang on the ribs nothing more.

Just now, Nigel said:

Didn't dean say he was ok? 

Just a bang on the ribs nothing more.

Ah ok, Thanks

I was cooking dinner whilst listening to it, must have missed it

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

Ah ok, Thanks

I was cooking dinner whilst listening to it, must have missed it

Although the only way to know for sure is to see who comes out of that tunnel 5 minutes before kick off

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Dean saying 'Jack is nearly ready' probably means he is out for about another month.

Oh. That said he’ll miss the game then😒

52 minutes ago, Nigel said:

No.

If jack is back he will start. Wes needs warm up games over the interval. 

Ah ok, it was just I saw on a Instagram page earlier that Wesley could be in the side on Sun.