Pre-match thread

ender4

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

If Son is still out, with Lamela suspended, Doherty starting and Jack and Cash back for us, and we still lose? I'd probably have an ArsenalFanTv style meltdown.

I just know it's going to be the game that everything finally clicks for Bale and he gets a hattrick or something. The only time we beat Spurs in the last 10 years was a 1-0 smash and grab away win in 2015 under Sherwood ironically. So many of those games we didn't even lay a glove on them.

We played reasonably well in both games last season, just lacked a bit of bottle to see it out in the end. Could've easily been two draws. Before our record was horrid v them but it was v many teams in the 10-15.

Think this is a good metric for what the owners would like to see from DS going forward. We're playing a team that's just played 120 minutes while we've had our feet up for a week and they've just crashed out in europe in comical fashion. One of their best players also should be out.

I'm not demanding a win but if DS can't get the team to produce a decent performance (even without Jack) with them in the state they're in with minimal recovery then I think it may chip away at them that long term a Dean Smith team has its limits in terms of mentality.

In a funny way in the long run this is a big game for the manager as a win would be the sort to kickstart our season again and give us massive boost going into last 10. Another flat performance and suddenly the form for two months is pretty worrying just when we wanted to peak.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Chances are no Traore or Grealish then. Need Ollie to channel his inner Gooner and do it alone somehow. At least Cash should be starting. Trez and El Ghazi probably starting doesnt fill me with much confidence.

AEG was actually great first half v them last season, that was actually on the right of midfield.

This really isn't a game for Trez as he simply will mess up too many counter attacks we get so AEG all day for me in this game if Jack still dosen't return.

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I cannot wait to hear the line the club pedal out about Grealish not being able to play. He’s been “so close” for weeks now. 

"He was really close this week, bit won't be available. He put his socks on to get on the grass and we noticed his toenails were a bit longer than we'd like. We'll reassess it after the international break...in March 2029"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

"He was really close this week, bit won't be available. He put his socks on to get on the grass and we noticed his toenails were a bit longer than we'd like. We'll reassess it after the international break...in March 2029"

He’s been so close to that grass for so long now. Then he got ill. Everything is conspiring against him. That or he’s just injured. 

31 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

This is either going to be a really good time to play them or a really bad time. 

Can’t work it out either! They’re fuming and humiliated so it might give them a massive kick up the arse or they might be knackered and dejected. I think it will be obvious which way they’re going to go from the first 5 mins. 

• Like 1

I don't want to sound like a doom and gloom merchant but I'd be confident of beating them if we were in any kind of good form, but we aren't.

As for JG possibly returning, well his last couple/three games other teams managed him much better and he was (for him) a peripheral figure. Have they finally worked out how to nullify his threat ? Hope not.

1-1 at best, or they blag a 1-2 in added time from a deflected free kick 🙄

We've been so poor for so long, even if they turn up at 40% they will beat us.

We look completely void of any attacking ideas or build up play, and reverted to pass around the back then Mings aimlessly lump it up the pitch.

Best we can hope for is 0-0 I think

• Like 1

I’m not confident we’ll win, or even draw, but I like to go into games with some optimism. It’ll be a huge boost to get Jack back, I guess we’ll know more after Smith’s pre match presser today, or not. If Grealish starts then I’d be confident we can get a result. Spurs without Son are still a very good team, with Kane, Bale, Moura and even Dele, they’ve got the tools to create chances. And with Hojbjerg and Ndombele they have two very good players that can control the midfield and nullify our attacks. If we can get out midfield balance right then that’s the key.

Spurs back four can be beaten, but we’ll need to be on form... and that’s where my confidence drops. We’re really not on song, that Newcastle game was awful as was the Sheff U loss. A lot will need to change if we’re to avoid defeat here. 

5 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’m not confident we’ll win, or even draw, but I like to go into games with some optimism. It’ll be a huge boost to get Jack back, I guess we’ll know more after Smith’s pre match presser today, or not. If Grealish starts then I’d be confident we can get a result. Spurs without Son are still a very good team, with Kane, Bale, Moura and even Dele, they’ve got the tools to create chances. And with Hojbjerg and Ndombele they have two very good players that can control the midfield and nullify our attacks. If we can get out midfield balance right then that’s the key.

Spurs back four can be beaten, but we’ll need to be on form... and that’s where my confidence drops. We’re really not on song, that Newcastle game was awful as was the Sheff U loss. A lot will need to change if we’re to avoid defeat here. 

Would they not have said, or shown pictures if Grealish has been back in training? The match is tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Would they not have said, or shown pictures if Grealish has been back in training? The match is tomorrow.

I haven’t really paid much attention this week, to be honest. Somebody shared a JT post from Instagram that hinted towards him being back. But no concrete evidence 🤷🏻‍♂️

With Jack we can win this comfortably.  Without him it could be a challenge.  But we have got to try something different.  We can't go into this game with the same old 4-3-3 and Trez and AEG either side of Ollie.  As I have said previously, we have a Top 6 defence there and a championship forward line!

I would love us to try a diamond with ideally Jack but if not BT and if not him Barkley, playing off Ollie and KD.  I know KD gets a lot of stick on here for not being a goalscorer but I think he could be the key to unlocking Ollie.  I still refelct back on an early game of his v Norwich when he terrorised them and made space for Hourihane to get a hattrick.  This is even more viable with Cash back as Cash and Targett are our best crossers of the ball - the midfielders need to drop and cover (as Henderson does for Liverpool) when one of these two goes.  I am keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Targett 

Luiz

Sanson McGinn

Trez                                El Ghazi 

Watkins

That's the best we can hope for.