VillaTalk Deadpool 2021

Xela

14 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

All I have to add about Rush Limbaugh is to say, I really hope he suffered.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read some obituaries with a lot of pleasure“ (Clarence Darrow) 

• Like 4

Legendary DJ/MC/Toaster U-Roy passed away in Jamaica over night. Pioneer of Reggae/Dub/Dacehall, who's influence stretch as far as early Rap and Hip Hop.

Rest in Power. Who jah bless, no man curse. 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

There is no rap music without U-Roy.

This really isn't true. Sure he was a small influence but very small. In terms of vocal delivery Gil-Scott Heron and the Last Poets are far more influential. What Hip-Hop took from reggae was the beats and rythmns and U-Roy was primarily a vocalist during the birth of Hip-Hop, the tracks would have been laid down by the producers and U-Roy didn't even start his own sound system until 1978 and the producing came later still

I'm not saying his toasting didn't influence a few, it probably did but to claim that without U-Roy there's be no rap music really doesn't add up. He wasn't the only Toaster out there, he wasn't even the first, DJs chatted over records from very early in the Jamaican scene (Pre-rockstedy). Sure he helped make that vocal delivery style popular but it wasn't unique to him, other prominent ones from the same era were Dennis Alcapone, King Skitt and I-Roy.

IMO the produers like Tubby, Perry, Reid et al were far more influential on Hip=Hop as it was their tape experiments in dub that lead to the cut up beats of Hip Hop. U-Roy himself might have influenced a few Hip Hop vocalists but the genre itself would have happened with or without him

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bickster said:

This really isn't true. Sure he was a small influence but very small. In terms of vocal delivery Gil-Scott Heron and the Last Poets are far more influential. What Hip-Hop took from reggae was the beats and rythmns and U-Roy was primarily a vocalist during the birth of Hip-Hop, the tracks would have been laid down by the producers and U-Roy didn't even start his own sound system until 1978 and the producing came later still

I'm not saying his toasting didn't influence a few, it probably did but to claim that without U-Roy there's be no rap music really doesn't add up. He wasn't the only Toaster out there, he wasn't even the first, DJs chatted over records from very early in the Jamaican scene (Pre-rockstedy). Sure he helped make that vocal delivery style popular but it wasn't unique to him, other prominent ones from the same era were Dennis Alcapone, King Skitt and I-Roy.

IMO the produers like Tubby, Perry, Reid et al were far more influential on Hip=Hop as it was their tape experiments in dub that lead to the cut up beats of Hip Hop. U-Roy himself might have influenced a few Hip Hop vocalists but the genre itself would have happened with or without him

no idea

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Two Columbo-related deaths that I’ve belatedly read about.

Bruce Kirby, father of the late Bruno Kirby, died on 21st January aged 95. He was a regular on Columbo and also appeared in Stand By Me.

Even more belatedly, William Link, co creator of Columbo and also Murder She Wrote died on 27th December 2020 aged 87.

I don’t think anyone had guessed Mr Link so it probably doesn’t affect who won, but it was just one of those little loose ends that needed tying up. Nothing important, you understand.

You Got It Ok GIF

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 24/02/2021 at 08:31, bickster said:

And Modern Romance