Pre-Match thread

One For The Road

2 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Can start the same as WBA, bring Barkley on and move Jack out wide as plan B. Double pivot with McGinn + Douglas is a tasty combo 😍

I think I would do this, especially as Barkley can't play in the game after as well.

I think Hause might be a good choice for this game if Tekkers is starting as their 9.  Most of Tekkers' recent goals are headers from what I have seen and Hause can challenge him for these probably better than Ezri.  Bring Konsa back in for the more skillful Chelsea CF threat.

22 hours ago, Mark_1989 said:

Really don’t rate him at all, single handedly cost us v Brighton and West Ham, I don’t see his absence as a big loss in all honesty.

It was Trez fault for leaving Wellbeck alone on halfway for break away goal? 

• Like 1

On 23/12/2020 at 20:43, darrenm said:

Couldn't sleep and was thinking about this into the early hours.

I'm now convinced Barkley comes in for McGinn. 

We play Saturday then Monday. 2 days between games. That extra rest will keep McGinn sharp for Chelsea where we won't have Barkley.

Then we can line up with Grealish and Barkley as 2 AMs with Douglas behind in a 4-1-2-3.

No one plays 2 AMs behind a front 3 outside of PlayStation. Madness

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, supermon said:

Guess you had no time for him when his goals last year kept us up.

Such as simplistic boring statement and not a reason for discussing if he is of the required standard. For every time someone says this you can pin point misses/lack of quality in previous games that let us down.

When you boil down to it really he scored 3 goals that happened to be of huge importance yet the two against CP you would expect every/90% of professional footballers to score and the one v Arsenal he made good purchase on admittedly but the pace was already on the ball as we all know he is dreadful striking a ball from a normal lie.

Happy Christmas everyone regardless

5 hours ago, darrenm said:

It ain't that simple. Players run around.

McGinn 4th most tackles 1.2 per game behind Cash Trez and Grealish 1.3 most at AML and Barkley 0.3 per game. Are we playing we're going to score more than you

Big game this. Should win, but they have enough to hurt us and unlikely to sit back and roll over which might suit us. This will be a measure of how far we have matured since our encounter last season. They can be wily and clinical when they want.

I say a decent win setting us up for the real test of our level - Chelsea.

• Like 1

The guy being slated for saying Trez isn't great is a bit bizarre. Trez for me works hard and is a good squad player but is one in the first 11 I'd be looking to upgrade. His goals kept us up last season and of course we should be grateful for that, but football isn't about sentimentality and we found that out the hard way by sticking with Gabby for so long. Compare his output going forward with Jack and it's night and day. Put someone like Sarr or Thauvin in that position and we'd be a lot stronger.

Anyway, merry Xmas y'all, let's hope for a great result tomorrow.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

The guy being slated for saying Trez isn't great is a bit bizarre. Trez for me works hard and is a good squad player but is one in the first 11 I'd be looking to upgrade. His goals kept us up last season and of course we should be grateful for that, but football isn't about sentimentality and we found that out the hard way by sticking with Gabby for so long. Compare his output going forward with Jack and it's night and day. Put someone like Sarr or Thauvin in that position and we'd be a lot stronger.

Anyway, merry Xmas y'all, let's hope for a great result tomorrow.

Nah. Don't thinks so myself. 

Secondly, Trez not be the best or most flashy player, but the reason he works so well for us now and why he's played so well this season, is largely because having a hard working option on the left works very well with balancing the rest of our midfield. He's a very good fit atm. As long he keeps that up I wouldn't swap him or move him out of the first team.