Pre-Match thread

One For The Road

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

My most memorable boxing day game was a 4 - 0 home win over West Ham in about 78, I think. 

I was on the Holte that day. Seem to remember Andy Gray playing a blinder. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Wonder who would give way between El Ghazi and Traore as I'm sure Deano will rotate for Chelsea which Barkley will be unavailable for. There are arguments to be made for and against both of their inclusions.

Honestly think both will start and Barkley will get last 30 minutes.

Think El Ghazi will then be taken out for Chelsea away. Could either bring in an extra CM like Nakamba to sit alongside Luiz and just have Traore and Jack playing off Watkins while still having three CMs behind that or bring in Davis and have Watkins wider.

Is Trez close to coming back? He'll be an option aswell for these away games where tracking back is essential given the form someone like Reece James is in although I think he got injured the other day so may not make it.

8 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

The guy being slated for saying Trez isn't great is a bit bizarre. Trez for me works hard and is a good squad player but is one in the first 11 I'd be looking to upgrade.

Already posted this but Trez makes 2.4 tackles per game 2nd behind Cash 2.5pg. 3rd is Grealish with 1.3 You can't underestimate the value of an attacking 3 player that does so much defensively

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lawro, "Villas form has been up and down this season". We are literally on course to finish in the top 4 based on current points to games. This is what annoyed me about the Newcastle game being cancelled. Should be getting far more recognition from people in the game. They just see us as mid table.

9 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

My most memorable boxing day game was a 4 - 0 home win over West Ham in about 78, I think. 

Too young for that one...not often I get to say that these days :) ...but I think mine would be the 3-0 vs Man Utd followed up by the 2-1 vs Arsenal on New Year's Day back in 89/90. Very happy holidays indeed. More recently would be the 2-2 vs Arsenal with the last minute cracker by Knight. So deserved in a game we played some fantastic stuff in but unjustly found ourselves 2-0 down. Great memories of celebrating that comeback on the Holte.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

Too young for that one...not often I get to say that these days :) ...but I think mine would be the 3-0 vs Man Utd followed up by the 2-1 vs Arsenal on New Year's Day back in 89/90. Very happy holidays indeed. More recently would be the 2-2 vs Arsenal with the last minute cracker by Knight. So deserved in a game we played some fantastic stuff in but unjustly found ourselves 2-0 down. Great memories of celebrating that comeback on the Holte.

That  2 - 2 against Arsenal was probably the best football we played under MON.

1 hour ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I may have been stood next to you, Us Cannock lot used to stand right of centre as you face the pitch, at the back

You may well have been, then, as that's pretty much exactly where I used to stand. 

• Like 1

got to say im feeling confident in our chances today, its natural I suppose given the football we’ve been showing this season. Ive been burnt before though this season but we keep bouncing back and continue to look confident on the pitch.

a side coming back off a 7-0, plus losing their most experienced and influential defender gives us an even greater chance to get 3 elusive home points. They have a decent frontline, but we have a more than capable backline and Emi just doesnt look like conceding.

2-0 again. Watkins, El Ghazi. Milivojevic 2 yellows for constant fouling of Jack. We march on