Pre-Match thread

One For The Road

43 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

We win with style and could be a rout, someone is going to cop one soon enough, mark my words 

I like THIS prediction. Time to turn the home record 'round.

50 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

RB and Konsa not back in training until tomorrow apparently so I would expect them both to start on the bench. 

Yeah both will be on bench. But think konsa might start. Barkley will definitely be on bench

Will be a massive boost to have both Konsa & Barkley back, but stick them on the bench and keep with the same side that performed brilliantly at The Hawthorns.

The likes of Hause, AEG and Traore (in particular) know that if their standards drop they will be replaced and this can only be a good thing for us.

I could see an argument for Ross coming in based on the fact he's unavailable for the Chelsea match so would help rotate a little, but I think Dean as built a great team spirit and a lot of that is based on sticking by players that are performing.

Can see a 2-2 here - but hope we can nick it 👊

Harsh on Hause but Konsa goes straight back in. The partnership between Ming's and Konsa is vital. I also just prefer a RCB to be right footed. ( If Hause was right footed I'd be happy for Konsa to stay on the bench) 

Barkley on the bench and to come on around 60 min mark if someone is underperforming

Edited by Lord Willard
  • Like 1

Couldn't sleep and was thinking about this into the early hours.

I'm now convinced Barkley comes in for McGinn. 

We play Saturday then Monday. 2 days between games. That extra rest will keep McGinn sharp for Chelsea where we won't have Barkley.

Then we can line up with Grealish and Barkley as 2 AMs with Douglas behind in a 4-1-2-3.

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

F*** sentimentality. Play your best players.

............Martinez.........

Cash..Konsa..Mings..Targett

.................Luiz......................

...........McGinn..Barkley.........

Traore.......Waktins....Grealish

He was shit up untill just recently.

• Like 1

All about opinions but I wouldn’t change the team that started the last game.  We were exceptional the other night and completely dominated.

Also, if Benteke starts for them then Hause is the perfect opponent to pitch against him.  

Martinez

Cash   Hause   Mings  Targett

Luiz        McGinn

Grealish

Traore      Watkins     El Ghazi

Bench:  Steer, Elmo, Konsa, Taylor, Nakamba, Barkley, Hourihane, Trez, Davis

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

Couldn't sleep and was thinking about this into the early hours.

I'm now convinced Barkley comes in for McGinn. 

You need to get some sleep. No way that is happening. 

Barkley hasn't trained yet and therefore won't be starting at all, never mind for McGinn.

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Whatever the lineup, I will be happy with it. If it's a problem, it makes a nice change to have such a problem.

I am now looking forward to these games with cheerful anxious anticipation, instead of a feeling of dread, like I am chasing a black and white rainbow with a pot of poo on the end of it. Such is the change in Villa.

Whether Smithy chooses Ross, Anwar, or Bertrand, it's all good.

This sums up perfectly how i feel too

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

F*** sentimentality. Play your best players.

............Martinez.........

Cash..Konsa..Mings..Targett

.................Luiz......................

...........McGinn..Barkley.........

Traore.......Waktins....Grealish

It’s not about sentimentality is it though, it’s about momentum which is invaluable in football. I do like the McGinn suggestion above - give JMG a rest before Chelsea, go DL/RB/JG in the middle.