Pre-Match thread

One For The Road

I would still start the same team that started at WBA, as said earlier in this thread.

The fact that Trekkers will likely start means that Hause is perfect to counter his aerial threat.  Saha, Eze, Ayew are dangerous but I’m confident that our back four can stop them.

Cahill being out is huge for them and they must be fragile after their last showing.

An early goal would be great here and we could then go on to a 2 or 3 goal win.

On 24/12/2020 at 19:59, Mark_1989 said:

Nonsense I appreciate hard work and effort but I simply feel this is the bare minimum for any player. 

A CM/DM can get away with merely showing effort hard work and tenacity but playing as a winger you are expected to do more in an attacking sense which Trez lacks. 

The player I respect bar Jack most in the team is Dougie who certainly isn’t involved in all the glory plays. Hopefully Traore keeps up his form and justifies his price tag.

Not nonsense at all. Ask the players, I have!! They rate him highly. You have the right to your opinion of course - even if it is mis-guided!!

10 hours ago, turvontour said:

Lawro, "Villas form has been up and down this season". We are literally on course to finish in the top 4 based on current points to games. This is what annoyed me about the Newcastle game being cancelled. Should be getting far more recognition from people in the game. They just see us as mid table.

I would take anything that bellwhiff says with a pinch of salt. Fairly sure his predictions would have us in the drop zone with two wins after twelve games and Leeds in fifth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would keep the same back 5 as v the Albion - Hause's aerial ability to combat Tekkers and Konsa back on the bench.

I would be tempted to go with a front 6 of:

---------------------------- Dougie L -------------------------

----------- Ramsey --------------------------------------------

----------------------------------- Barkley --------------------          If he is fit enough

Traore ------------------------------------------------- Jack

------------------------ Watkins ------------------------------

Keeping AEG and SJM fresh for the next two games.

Edited by barry'sboots

10 hours ago, turvontour said:

Lawro, "Villas form has been up and down this season". We are literally on course to finish in the top 4 based on current points to games. This is what annoyed me about the Newcastle game being cancelled. Should be getting far more recognition from people in the game. They just see us as mid table.

He's not wrong thou, it has been up and down. But mostly up thankfully.

We won 4 in a row and then lost 4 out of 5 and then are unbeaten in 3 and the Newcastle game wouldn't really have changed the fact that we've been patchy, streaky or up and down.

And then there is also the Man City game. Do we have a date for that yet?

18 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Not nonsense at all. Ask the players, I have!! They rate him highly. You have the right to your opinion of course - even if it is mis-guided!!

A proper ITK - Love it!!

He is now excused for poor performances and wasted chances.

I’ll keep my opinion tho thanks  - I suspect he will be gone at the end of the season. Until then I will support him whenever he pulls on the claret and blue but as ever won’t expect too much from him.

13 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Nah. Don't thinks so myself. 

Secondly, Trez not be the best or most flashy player, but the reason he works so well for us now and why he's played so well this season, is largely because having a hard working option on the left works very well with balancing the rest of our midfield. He's a very good fit atm. As long he keeps that up I wouldn't swap him or move him out of the first team. 

I think he's suitable against better opposition but against so-called weaker teams where we are the dominant side I'm not sure. For example, we lost against Brighton and W'Ham with him in the side and we pretty much dominated both games with Trez missing big chances. If he'd taken those chances we'd now be at least 2 points better off. He's missed the last 3 games and we've taken 7 points and not conceded a goal. 

That's not to say that AEG and Traore aren't wasteful too, and they don't work press as well as Trez, but that's why I still think we should be on the lookout for a standout right sided midfielder who can score and create. If we had that, along with McGinn and Barkley's contributions from the middle, we'd be even more of a threat. 

11 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Already posted this but Trez makes 2.4 tackles per game 2nd behind Cash 2.5pg. 3rd is Grealish with 1.3 You can't underestimate the value of an attacking 3 player that does so much defensively

He’s definitely useful at the defensive side of the game but he also has 0 goals and only 1 assist and as a member of the front three those numbers are disappointing. I was just pointing out that being ridiculed for saying you don’t rate Trez, which is not at all an outrageous thing to say, is harsh. I think as supporters we’re always going to look at how we can improve and I agree with the poster that RW is definitely an area we can upgrade, not necessarily now but maybe next summer unless Traore nails down that spot which so far he has failed to do (though his Baggies performance was encouraging). But I certainly see Trez as doing a job for the team with where we are at the moment.

9 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think he's suitable against better opposition but against so-called weaker teams where we are the dominant side I'm not sure. For example, we lost against Brighton and W'Ham with him in the side and we pretty much dominated both games with Trez missing big chances. If he'd taken those chances we'd now be at least 2 points better off. He's missed the last 3 games and we've taken 7 points and not conceded a goal. 

That's not to say that AEG and Traore aren't wasteful too, and they don't work press as well as Trez, but that's why I still think we should be on the lookout for a standout right sided midfielder who can score and create. If we had that, along with McGinn and Barkley's contributions from the middle, we'd be even more of a threat. 

Fair enough. I'd argue PVA is a pretty attacking, quick and good wing back though, so I think I'd prefer a hard worker there. 

1 hour ago, Mark_1989 said:

A proper ITK - Love it!!

He is now excused for poor performances and wasted chances.

I’ll keep my opinion tho thanks  - I suspect he will be gone at the end of the season. Until then I will support him whenever he pulls on the claret and blue but as ever won’t expect too much from him.

No need for sarcasm, I do know a player personally and what I've posted is accurate. If you don't rate him ,fair enough, and he may well be gone next year

but it doesn't alter the fact that the players rate him

Interesting to see if Smith tries to utilise the squad over the next two games and if he is then Barkley has to start given he can't play on Monday.

I'd put him in for El Ghazi, start Jack out on the left, where hopefully he won't have to get through as much work as playing centrally, and then ideally be in a position after an hour or so to take Jack off and bring El Ghazi on. 

I'd be happy starting either Konsa or Hause with an eye on swapping them round on Monday and as others have said perhaps Hause up against Benteke is the better option for today. 

Elsewhere on the pitch at right back we can go Cash or Elmo today then switch them on Monday and Ramsey could also start one of the games. I'd certainly like to see 4 changes from the team that starts today and the one that starts on Monday.

• Shocked 1

So Trez out for us and Gary Cahill out for Palace.

They have some defensive issues with injuries and players who should be rusty due to lack of playing time. Hope we can exploit that.

• Like 1

Martinez
Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett
              Luiz - McGinn
    Traore - Barkley - Grealish
                  Watkins

I've decided I want Barkley straight back in. We play again on Monday and the players are gonna be ****, at least give ourselves a fresh and ready El Ghazi for Chelsea. I'd also expect today to be a lot tougher than the last couple games so Barkley back in for me. Would also have Konsa straight in, harsh maybe but we need to be full strength. 

27 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Considering Barkley cannot play against Chelsea, he must start today to afford other players a rest with so many games in the next week or so.

This. Whilst there is no argument that AEG and Traore have been great for us. Now we have Barkley back and those three available for this one but only two out of three for the Chelsea game two days later - it’s madness not to play Barkley isn’t it?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Martinez
Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett
              Luiz - McGinn
    Traore - Barkley - Grealish
                  Watkins

I've decided I want Barkley straight back in. We play again on Monday and the players are gonna be ****, at least give ourselves a fresh and ready El Ghazi for Chelsea. I'd also expect today to be a lot tougher than the last couple games so Barkley back in for me. Would also have Konsa straight in, harsh maybe but we need to be full strength. 

Yeah I think this is the side that should start. The only doubt I have is the old ‘don’t change a winning side’ mantra, but I’m not sure what DS will do. I’m glad it’s him making the call and not me! 

44 minutes ago, villatillidie1980 said:

This. Whilst there is no argument that AEG and Traore have been great for us. Now we have Barkley back and those three available for this one but only two out of three for the Chelsea game two days later - it’s madness not to play Barkley isn’t it?

Barkley had trained twice since his hamstring injury. Starting him would be suicidal surely??

• Thanks 1