Pre-Match thread

One For The Road

will be a tough game. Too easy to look at their 7-0 defeat. When I've seen them, they are very dangerous on the attack and will cause chances. Liverpool were ruthless in scoring some very good goals. They'll react.  We can win obviously, but I suspect a 1-1 / 2-2 draw at the moment. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

2-1 Villa, im usually a pessimist but I think with the boost of Barkley back and the run we are on we will have just enough to beat them 

I think we will win this one too.

However,  I pledge £20 to VT if Barkley plays against Palace. 

Firstly, he isn't match fit, secondly, both AEG and Traore deserve to keep their places in the side. 

It's a nice problem to have, but it's conceivable that even if Konsa and Ross were fit, given the last couple of games, neither are sure to walk back into the 11.

Last week I said Konsa must start for Hause if fit, but Hause has put in another solid performance.

What kind a message is it sending out to squad players if they bide their time, do well in training, come into the side, play well on more than one occasion and get dropped?

That's called having a squad. And thats a huge improvement from last season.

• Like 1

DS said Barkley is fit for this one and Konsa 'should be fine' so will be interesting to see what he does.

We've missed Barkley but given the recent form of Traore and AEG I think he may be on the bench, unless he comes in for McGinn. Given Ross can't play against Chelsea it might be a good move so it keeps McGinn fresh for Chelsea. Hause has covered well in Konsa's absence but Konsa has to come straight back in if he's available. 

It's another game we should win if we're on it but Palace will be seeking a reaction after getting bummed by Liverpool. I'll take a solid 2-0 win.

• Like 1

Emi

Cash   Hause    Mings  Targett

Luiz     McGinn

Traore       Grealish      El Ghazi

Watkins

If it ain't broke!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, wedge said:

Emi

Cash   Hause    Mings  Targett

Luiz     McGinn

Traore       Grealish      El Ghazi

Watkins

If it ain't broke!

If Barkley and Konsa are back we should in fact try to fix even if it's not broke

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Are we really playing Hause and Engels...

Based on that alone i predict a defeat

What the hell has Hause done wrong in the two opportunities he has been given ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

I think we will win this one too.

However,  I pledge £20 to VT if Barkley plays against Palace. 

Firstly, he isn't match fit, secondly, both AEG and Traore deserve to keep their places in the side. 

It's a nice problem to have, but it's conceivable that even if Konsa and Ross were fit, given the last couple of games, neither are sure to walk back into the 11.

Last week I said Konsa must start for Hause if fit, but Hause has put in another solid performance.

What kind a message is it sending out to squad players if they bide their time, do well in training, come into the side, play well on more than one occasion and get dropped?

That's called having a squad. And thats a huge improvement from last season.

So long as Ross is 100% fit he plays for me. AEG nor Traore are that good that they should automatically be starting regardless of whether they put in a decent performance yesterday, also Ross is not available for Chelsea, so AEG or Traore can get ready for that

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, smg said:

Is Barkley becoming one of those players who gets better by not playing. 

Well, no, he's widely been considered to be one of the best players in our first 11 since he joined.

• Like 1

Think this will be an incredibly tough game. Though, that largely depends on which Crystal Palace turn up. Barkley would come back in for me and then move Jack out to the left with Luiz and McGinn holding.

Would also probably keep Traore on the right wing as he linked up well with Cash last game. It's nice to feel like we have options. 

I don't think it sends the right message if you drop either of El Ghazi or Traore for Barkley. They've had the chance to take the spots and they've both done it.

Also, having Barkley on the bench as a false 9 is a scary prospect for Palace.

But he is too good not to play. So maybe McGinn does have a rest because Barkley is out next game anyway.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Think this will be an incredibly tough game. Though, that largely depends on which Crystal Palace turn up. Barkley would come back in for me and then move Jack out to the left with Luiz and McGinn holding.

Would also probably keep Traore on the right wing as he linked up well with Cash last game. It's nice to feel like we have options. 

Famous last words coming up. I actually think Palace are the perfect opponent for us. They won't park the bus, because they will feel they're better than that, and they won't be terrified of us. So they'll give us some space.  And they're not a great footballing team so we should be able to dominate possession.  I think we tear them apart tbqh. It's more a case of which Villa turns up than which Palace does. If we're on it then this could be a handy one. I think the Liverpool hiding will play into our hands too.  Palace will want to rectify that, so they'll come out to do so, and we'll punish them.

• Like 3

Just now, darrenm said:

I don't think it sends the right message if you drop either of El Ghazi or Traore for Barkley.

That's the only thing making me think Smith won't throw him straight in.  He tends to be loyal to players who deserve it, although he can more easily justify rotation to his squad in a Christmas period, so I don't think it's quite the same switching it up on December 26th when you're about to play 3 games in a week.

• Like 1