Pre-Match thread

One For The Road

Traore said himself he’s still building up to proper fitness so I’d like to see him & Jack flanking Barkley. Grateful AEG managed a goal from open play, but Barkley is fine to take pens & he’s twice  the player AEG is. 

Need to go all-out for the 3pts on Saturday before a difficult run of fixtures, strongest possible 11 please. 

2 hours ago, Mark_1989 said:

So long as Ross is 100% fit he plays for me. AEG nor Traore are that good that they should automatically be starting regardless of whether they put in a decent performance yesterday, also Ross is not available for Chelsea, so AEG or Traore can get ready for that

AEG has 3 goals in 3 games. Traore managed a goal and an assist in his last match. 

Whilst I agree that Barkley is the better player, there's more to squad management than "if he's fit, he plays, no matter what". Unless its Jack of course....

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I agree they look horrible but I’m really looking forward to them because we can compete

Agreed.  I've said elsewhere that for me Chelsea is a real litmus test. They've played us off the park since Lampard & Smith came up. Even though they were figuring out Frank's style while we acclimatised to the PL, they absolutely mullered us. It'll be interesting to see how much of an account we can give of ourselves this time around. And last season even with us finding our feet, we had United on the ropes. Grealish ran the show until we gifted them a cabbage of an own goal.

If Barkley doesn't play in this one, he will only have one PL game available to play in until the 13th January.  For me he has to start if he is fit, especially as we have a game two days after which we will need to be incredibly fit and raring to go for.  El Ghazi and Traore played well against a ten-man Baggies, but both will likely be needed to start against Chelsea 48 hours later given Trez isn't back. 

Let's not look a gifthorse in the mouth here...

• Like 2

Benteke has started the last two for them I think., so I'd leave Hause in even if Konsa is fit.

Watching Wolves get duffed up by Burnley here makes me appreciate Hause even more. He really is monstrous in the air.

• Like 1

It’s tricky. I don’t think you can drop either of AEG or Traore after that game. AEG could probably should have had 5 goals at least in the last 2 and a bit games. Dropping him when he’s clearly fighting so hard to impress doesn’t send the right message. Traore has just had his best game in a Villa shirt he has been brought in to start on the left for Villa. He needs consistent games so again dropping him does more harm than good. 

Admittedly it’s against poor opposition but for me Grealish was outstanding the last two games in 10 role. Better than Barkley has been in any game. So I stick with a side in good form. Without doubt Barkleys time will come. 

• Like 1

I think if Barkley was fit I would drop AEG, which is harsh but make it clear that he's back in for the game two days later (when Barkley is ineligible) and give him a bash off the bench for Traore or Barkley, as required. It's a harsh drop but with the fixture congestion we're going to have to rotate when we can, and this is one area we can rotate happily in at the moment. 

It's a nice problem to have I guess. 

It’s a nice ‘problem’ to have anyway. I think you have to try and explain to Anwar how important it is to get Ross back, and that he’ll be straight back starting two days later when Ross has to sit out for Chelsea. It’s incredibly harsh on Anwar, but you have to find a way to get Ross back playing. 

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

It’s tricky. I don’t think you can drop either of AEG or Traore after that game. AEG could probably should have had 5 goals at least in the last 2 and a bit games. Dropping him when he’s clearly fighting so hard to impress doesn’t send the right message. Traore has just had his best game in a Villa shirt he has been brought in to start on the left for Villa. He needs consistent games so again dropping him does more harm than good. 

Admittedly it’s against poor opposition but for me Grealish was outstanding the last two games in 10 role. Better than Barkley has been in any game. So I stick with a side in good form. Without doubt Barkleys time will come. 

Totally agree... it’s a really tough one. I think at another point in the season Barkley walks straight back in the side, but I think after two good performances and the 0-3 win, we’ve got to stick with that side. 
I would give Barkley the last 30 to ease that hamstring back in.

I think that a fit Barkley has to play. So, the question is AEG or Traore.

I think Traore is the better player. But, I think AEG from the start will be more beneficial than a Traore from the start, and I think Traore at 70mins will give more than AEG at 70mins.

Figure that one out eh? 

Palace have no injuries or suspensions, we'll be getting the best of them.

My only doubt is which of them turns up? The one that outplayed manure at Old Trafford and hammered the baggies, or the one that folded against Liverpool? I think we've got the quality to beat them but it will not be an easy game.