Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Burnley

limpid

Match Polls  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/12/20 at 23:59

14 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

It doesn't matter where Davis plays, as he is demonstrably out of his depth in the Championship, never mind the Premier League.

Bringing Davis on to get you a goal is like putting a ball boy in goal for a penalty shootout.

Time to bring Davis is when youre 1-0 up and can't make the ball stick up front. To bring him on to get goal I don't understand.

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Posted this in another thread by accident but here goes..

I’m not angry because we haven’t won. I’m angry because the reason we haven’t won is we don’t have a decent wide player at the club and it’s been that way since we got relegated.

Jack Grealish is the best left sided player in the Premier League because he’s probably one of, if not, the best player in the Premier League. He’d be the best player for us if he played centre half. 

He is a number 10. And that’s where he should be playing for us. Not out wide. Playing him out wide masks our deficiencies in that position. We should have gone into last summer and signed a good right winger and a good left winger. Notice how I don’t use the word ‘quality’. I’m not after Jack Grealish quality because it doesn’t exist. I’m after ‘good’. That’s all, ‘good’. ‘Good’ sees us win the game tonight, it sees us beat West Ham and it sees us beat Brighton. 

We are so obviously,  desperately poor in the wide areas it’s becoming a bit farcical. Who went out to France and watched Traore and said, ‘that’s our guy’. Who is paid however much he’s paid to go and watch that lad and think, ‘He’s our new right winger?’ Like, it makes me so angry. Who’s accountable for that? Who? Whoever did, needs to be sacked. 

How much longer do we need to put up with Trezeguet and El Ghazi starting games for us? And now, for good measure, we throw Traore into that category. 

Honestly, we don’t even need a brilliant wide player. We need an Andros Townsend, a Dwight McNeil, a Jarrod Bowen. Just someone half decent who stops f****** missing absolute sitters week in, week out and who can put a decent cross in every now and then. 

We could be such a good side. We have an outstanding keeper. Our back 4 has gelled. Luiz and McGinn aren’t spectacular but they’re solid and they complement each other. Grealish is world, world class and Watkins will be a threat and get better. If we just had one good winger, we be challenging the top 6. 

Please, please sign a decent wide player in January. I’m begging you. Just go and get Buendia or Brooks or someone that just isn’t really, really not very good. 

Jack grealish has missed sitters too this season. .... Ducks and runs for cover.

But yeah we need to bring in two pacy wide men who can get us 10-12 goals a season. 

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Do you not think he’d be devestating with two good wingers outside of him as a #10? He’s brilliant on the left because he’s matured as a footballer and he’s so good that he’d be our best player in any position. 

Im not against him playing on the left, I would just love us to sign two decent wingers outside of him. 

Honestly no he's more dangerous on the outside and he switches left central right during the game constantly anyway. I prefer Barkley as a 10 and doesn't Jack says he wants to play on the left?

Also our style doesn't use classic wing play. We play overloads on either side

Edited by Kiwivillan

48 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not a clue how we didn't win that, by far the better team, actually one of our best performances in a while... Right up until we took the shot, should have scored a bucket load

Smiths tactics were fine

We weren't poor

Fullty expecting a meltdown but it doesn't deserve one, that game was more proof of progress believe it not, Burnley are in our position last year and we played them off the park

MOTM Nakamba for me, did very little wrong, not the unconfident jittery mess he was last year, well done hause too, too many convinced he'd fail, saved us a goal from the rare emu mistake 

Post of the day well done sir, the voice of knowledge and experience.

• Like 2

Think we should be happy that we’ve been forced into starting Elmo, Hause, Nakamba and El Ghazi and not noticeably lost our edge.

We were all worried that squad depth would be the problem this season, but that was a good showing from the squad players. AEG did miss a few chances, but he got himself in good positions and looked busy.

Shame nothing came off, but when your chances aren’t falling, it’s the clean sheet that gets something out of the game.

One of those nights. Think we deserved 3 points, but I’ll take 1.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

It's a post match thread. Emotions run high. 

In addition, we have failed to win any of the last 4 home games. All against opposition we would expect to be better against. 

If people can't express themselves on a football forum, in a post match thread  then we may as well all give up.

Fair enough. I get emotions running high on a match thread but I'd have thought post-match is a good place for reflection but there we go. 

Fair point about home matches, but this season I barely notice what's home and what's away. Seems to matter a lot less when you're not allowed in the ground. 

• Thanks 1

A strong performance against a very physical and tough unit; they've had cohesion and planning for years on how to grind out draws.

Saying that Villa were the better team but rather wasteful, we need to be ruthless.

I'm not going to single out players as it's a game we could have won 3-0 on another day.

Villa are almost clicking, I was hopeful we'd click against these lot tonight but not to be.

Hopefully the return of Cash and Luiz will make us the better team against WBA on Sunday, they should be refreshed and raring to go. Maybe Barkley too?

UTV 

• Like 1

Didn’t play great but created enough chances to win two or three games.

Shame as it was a great opportunity for another win but again the performance was pretty solid. Hause looked solid which was good to see, I think the jury is out on Traore, still not fully convinced on Watkins yet though you cannot knock his effort and work rate.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

We miss about the chances of 5 games put together and don't win but hey yeah let's direct our anger towards Burnley. Grow up.

I don't know. El Ghazi tore them apart. Might be time to move on to new ventures?

Â