Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Burnley

limpid

Match Polls  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/12/20 at 23:59

23 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

The players finishing was abysmal today.  Truly shocking.

What Ive learnt from today:

1. Watkins is not good enough for this level

2. El Ghazi is not good enough for this level

3. Traore needs more time to adjust but does not look good enough for this level

4. The game was crying out for an attacking player who can shoot/score yet out best goalscoring player on the bench stayed there

5. Dean Smith still does not know or does not have the balls to change things

Yes, the players missed a lot of chances, and should be ashamed of some that were missed.  But players have off days in front of goal from time to time.

What really gets me is that Burnley never really looked dangerous and we were creating chances.  Dean Smith needs to pick up on this, and introduce fresh players earlier.

If we introduce Hourihane for El Ghazi, Traore or Nakamba at 60 minutes, I'd stake my house on him creating a goal or scoring one.  Ramsey could have come in and created something, hell, he was good enough to start last week so its not like the manager does not rate hit.

Davis was brought on and plauyed right wing... I mean WTAF? Why not put 2 up top? Why not play a narrow 3 in midfield, with jack in the hole behind 2 strikers?  Why not do something different for once?  We are the most one dimensional, single plan team i've ever seen.  Its depressing.

Dean Smith infamously said that the team mirrors the manager.  Clearly he is a toothless, unimaginative, clueless lump imaginable.

Major signings needed in Jan for me.  Not sure we've progressed or just been a bit luckier...

Have you and your Missus fell out tonight mate? 

21 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

He made Klopp say "wow".

Yep, Liverpool allowed us to play and left huge spaces.  We also had the rub of the green with the chances we gave them, and they missed - even the best have off days.

The true measure of a manager for me, is having the knowhow and the courage to change things and Dean Smith does not.

• Haha 1

Very frustrating to watch, but overall a good performance. Although we had a lot of shots I was a bit disappointed with the quality of chances we created. Had a look at the xG to see if this was the case and it was 1.81 v 0.32 from this site (https://understat.com/match/14556) which seems to support my thoughts, but we definitely should have finished one.

If anything I was more disappointed with some of our decision making. Traore spending too long setting himself up on his left foot for the chance he had in the first half and then not pulling the trigger which the excellent chance Jack set him up for in the 2nd. Then multiple times I thought Watkins was available for a squared ball across the 6 yard box but instead we looked to and got off a low percentage shot.

Mixed in with some bad luck, El Ghazi's free kick, Hause hitting the post and Lowton clearing the ball of the line it just wasn't out night. Perhaps evening out some of the fortune we got from the deflections against Liverpool?!

At least players like Hause, Nakamba & Elmo were able to step in and we didn't miss a beat performance wise.

11 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Missed this as I was working, can somebody give me an idea how bad we were?

We weren't bad at all. We dominated the game and created something like 27 chances, just a combination of poor finishing and being thwarted by the woodwork. 99 times out of 100, we win that game at least 3-0.

33 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Missed this as I was working, can somebody give me an idea how bad we were?

We were immense. Absolutely steamrollered them to the point of it being an attack v defence match. You'd struggle to find a more one sided match.

But every time we had a chance we chose the wrong option. A squared pass when a shot would have been better, a shot when someone was open. Over and over again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

What really gets me is that Burnley never really looked dangerous and we were creating chances.

Yep, you're right, I like that - it's great when we're playing well and dominating - and hey, when it's working that well, you let them play right?

Dean Smith needs to pick up on this, and introduce fresh players.

Ah.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Efforts on goal this season per game (according to the BBC):

• vs Sheff Ud - 18
  • vs Leeds - 12
  • vs Leicester - 10
  • vs Fulham - 16
  • vs Liverpool - 18
  • vs West ham - 16
  • vs Brighton - 15
  • vs Southampton - 19
  • vs Wolves - 13
  • vs Arsenal - 15
  • vs Burnley - 27

Unbelievably, that's the fourth game this season where we've failed to win despite having more than twice as many efforts on goal as the opposition. At least we got a point out of this one, we lost the other three.

I'm not sure what that says about our front line. 

I think you are sure?

Â