Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Burnley

limpid

Match Polls  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/12/20 at 23:59

Before this season started I’d have been quite happy with 11th after 11 games, especially with two in hand. A mid table finish is what most people wanted, and mid table finishes do involve frustrating draws. We need to follow this up by smashing the Albion now.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I can't vote Hause MOTM am I supposed to vote Konsa?

I was anxious to praise him for a good performance but remembered to do so after the final whistle was blown.

In all seriousness, he did well enough 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

You know it's OK to be upset in a post match thread after you have failed to score against Burnley at home?

Be disappointed, even upset. But the hissy fit some supporters are throwing and the abuse at our players in the best season we've had since...what, 2009? Just seems disproportionate. 

Edited by blunther
The quote around 'supporters' was needlessly antagonistic in hindsight.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Smith's biggest mistake was playing Davis on the right with 10 to go. Should've put him up front with 20 to go and pushed Watkins out wide to pounce on the counter.

It doesn't matter where Davis plays, as he is demonstrably out of his depth in the Championship, never mind the Premier League.

Bringing Davis on to get you a goal is like putting a ball boy in goal for a penalty shootout.

• Like 3

Posted this in another thread by accident but here goes..

I’m not angry because we haven’t won. I’m angry because the reason we haven’t won is we don’t have a decent wide player at the club and it’s been that way since we got relegated.

Jack Grealish is the best left sided player in the Premier League because he’s probably one of, if not, the best player in the Premier League. He’d be the best player for us if he played centre half. 

He is a number 10. And that’s where he should be playing for us. Not out wide. Playing him out wide masks our deficiencies in that position. We should have gone into last summer and signed a good right winger and a good left winger. Notice how I don’t use the word ‘quality’. I’m not after Jack Grealish quality because it doesn’t exist. I’m after ‘good’. That’s all, ‘good’. ‘Good’ sees us win the game tonight, it sees us beat West Ham and it sees us beat Brighton. 

We are so obviously,  desperately poor in the wide areas it’s becoming a bit farcical. Who went out to France and watched Traore and said, ‘that’s our guy’. Who is paid however much he’s paid to go and watch that lad and think, ‘He’s our new right winger?’ Like, it makes me so angry. Who’s accountable for that? Who? Whoever did, needs to be sacked. 

How much longer do we need to put up with Trezeguet and El Ghazi starting games for us? And now, for good measure, we throw Traore into that category. 

Honestly, we don’t even need a brilliant wide player. We need an Andros Townsend, a Dwight McNeil, a Jarrod Bowen. Just someone half decent who stops f****** missing absolute sitters week in, week out and who can put a decent cross in every now and then. 

We could be such a good side. We have an outstanding keeper. Our back 4 has gelled. Luiz and McGinn aren’t spectacular but they’re solid and they complement each other. Grealish is world, world class and Watkins will be a threat and get better. If we just had one good winger, we be challenging the top 6. 

Please, please sign a decent wide player in January. I’m begging you. Just go and get Buendia or Brooks or someone that just isn’t really, really not very good. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, blunther said:

Be disappointed, even upset. But the hissy fit some 'supporters' are throwing and the abuse at our players in the best season we've had since...what, 2009? Just seems disproportionate. 

It's a post match thread. Emotions run high. 

In addition, we have failed to win any of the last 4 home games. All against opposition we would expect to be better against. 

If people can't express themselves on a football forum, in a post match thread  then we may as well all give up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

This is the worrying thing, so much possession so many chances but nothing falling to our centre forward as such

Nobody seems to create chances for him.  

The creative area is outside of the box for us at the moment and then as it gets into the box, there is no passes, no decent crosses, no sliding him in.  

Our chances mostly tonight were mainly solo, when Jack does his mazy run and shoots over or El Ghazi does a mazy run and tamely shoots.  At best all Watkins can do is get into position or be the decoy player.  

The games we’ve played to him he’s scored but today I can’t name a decent chance that was presented to him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Bollocks to Grealish #10 his goal and assist record wide left is far superior than that Championship season he mostly played #10. Would not change

Do you not think he’d be devestating with two good wingers outside of him as a #10? He’s brilliant on the left because he’s matured as a footballer and he’s so good that he’d be our best player in any position. 

Im not against him playing on the left, I would just love us to sign two decent wingers outside of him. 

Â