Newcastle potential ‘Covid Outbreak’

chappy

Winter hasn't even begun. Expect more postponed games, more chaos. They should've scrapped every other competition outside domestic leagues. I'm glad Villa aren't in Europe and I won't mind losing to Liverpool in the FA Cup. Fewer games equals less travel and less risk. Its going to be a long winter.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Can't help but think that if they have that many cases they have had a breach at the club, which means that the club hasn't followed the rules

Which also means **** them

they are blaming the international break, expert virologist Steve Bruce said that 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

So on one hand, we would have to squeeze in another game later in the season...

but on the pro side - Barkley would be back for the game, plus we might be in a better run of form than we are at the moment. 

Yes thats the way to look at it. I don't know how many Newcastle players are having to self isolate but surely health must come first. 

1 hour ago, holteend1982 said:

On the brightside it's one less game we have to play without Barkley. 

Yeah but when we play them we might have 5 other injuries following a busy Xmas period. Having "just and only" Barkley out is not a bad situation.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Winter hasn't even begun. Expect more postponed games, more chaos. They should've scrapped every other competition outside domestic leagues. I'm glad Villa aren't in Europe and I won't mind losing to Liverpool in the FA Cup. Fewer games equals less travel and less risk. Its going to be a long winter.

The champions league is too expensive to stop.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Guess we'll have to see how long it is before they play again, they've got West Brom on 12th Dec which will probably be in doubt aswell.

This is an issue of fairness for me. Are they really going to let Newcastle postpone another game after this one? Very unlikely. Instead Newcastle will likely play West Brom with half their squad missing and 2 days of training under their belt and most likely get rolled over.

Meanwhile we will play our postponed game against their full strength squad in a mid-week slot wedged somewhere in an already packed schedule. Completely unfair. They should have put out a team or forfeited 3-0.

• Like 2

The Guardian are saying that Newcastle have 14 players available but has been suggested to be called off by Public Health Board England as the training ground is unsafe and they would be flying and staying in a hotel in West Midlands

It's pretty BS given the lax protocols Newcastle seem to have. We've seen clubs across Europe punished still.

Although Bruce could possibly have named the 14-man squad deemed acceptable according to the Premier League’s pre-season Covid-19 advisory protocols, the situation was further complicated by Newcastle’s need to fly to and from Birmingham and spend Thursday night in a West Midlands hotel.

Could be up to 10 staff and players impacted.

Seems right. As long as we can indefinitely postpone any game that Grealish isn't fit to play. If this season runs into next as a result, tough shit.

There was supposed to be a rule about being able to field 14 players, so we're having a rule about being able to field Grealish.

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's their fault and problem though. Now we have a significant disadvantage having 2 games in hand, all because Newcastle players/staff couldn't isolate properly. **** joke, and I'm pissed off at the club for being such pussies. I expected more from Purslow.

Totally.

On top of this, it gives Klopp a new card in his hand to play.

We should have pushed to make them forfeit.

Edited by AJ
Edited to make more sense

44 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It's pretty BS given the lax protocols Newcastle seem to have. We've seen clubs across Europe punished still.

Could be up to 10 staff and players impacted.

That I can't really understand given it's an 8pm kick off. Surely they can just travel down on the day. Yes it's not ideal but plenty of lower league teams do long trips across country for midweek games and plenty of them win.

In the report I posted earlier Granada had to fly up and get to the Basque country just 3 hours before kick off.

If it's been postponed purely down to that then there are obvious ways it could've been avoided. Indeed were hotels even open when football came back in June so I assume a fair few clubs travelled in on the day particularly if it was a local game.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

On the brightside it's one less game we have to play without Barkley. 

I'd imagine he could be fit to start against Wolves on the 12th as they said he'd be out for 2 games and that would give him 3 weeks recovery from the hamstring issue.

So hopefully he's only ended up missing one game for us. 

• Like 1