Newcastle potential ‘Covid Outbreak’

chappy

It is what it is. I mean i dont like Newcastle but if that was us we would be shouting for a postponement.

They do need to tell us though how many are infected.

If this gets called off we really are going to have some big issues as we still have no date for the city game either

• Like 1

In September it was reported that premier league clubs would be forced to play games even if they suffered a covid outbreak. Would be a dangerous precedent to call of the Newcastle game because of having a few players out, as other clubs are bound to also suffer an outbreak and then suddenly the whole season could become congested to an even greater extent than it already is.

• Like 1

Anyone know how long the four have been isolating. Apparently they all missed the Palace game last Friday because of it so it could possibly be played early next week if they 4-5 other players test negative although I don't know if sports teams still have to isolate for full 14 days or it got cut down to 10 days.

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If this gets called off we really are going to have some big issues as we still have no date for the city game either

We'll be playing citeh whenever it suits citeh 🙄

• Like 1

There would be a question about who pays to compensate the TV companies - there will be a bill to BT or Sky (and their contemporaries abroad) of several million pounds if they lose this from their schedules, money that clubs will need to find - our league is run around the principle of broadcast revenues and the league will do absolutely everything they can to make sure the game goes ahead - they won't care about Newcastle in that, or about us, or about any sort of sporting, health or social concern - the driver will be how much money has to be given back to the TV companies.

I'd also imagine that the likes of Klopp are watching this very carefully - unforeseen changes to the schedule (or the opportunity for his side to get a free week with enough positive test results) will be enormously concerning to him and those like him.

There's a question on the confirmation of numbers infected, and also on who is producing the test results, there will need to be a very strict protocol of screening and testing carried out independently by the league - there are lots of very awkward factors to consider - but ultimately this'll come down to money.

If I'm gambling, I'd bet on it still going ahead.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There would be a question about who pays to compensate the TV companies - there will be a bill to BT or Sky (and their contemporaries abroad) of several million pounds if they lose this from their schedules, money that clubs will need to find - our league is run around the principle of broadcast revenues and the league will do absolutely everything they can to make sure the game goes ahead - they won't care about Newcastle in that, or about us, or about any sort of sporting, health or social concern - the driver will be how much money has to be given back to the TV companies.

I'd also imagine that the likes of Klopp are watching this very carefully - unforeseen changes to the schedule (or the opportunity for his side to get a free week with enough positive test results) will be enormously concerning to him and those like him.

There's a question on the confirmation of numbers infected, and also on who is producing the test results, there will need to be a very strict protocol of screening and testing carried out independently by the league - there are lots of very awkward factors to consider - but ultimately this'll come down to money.

If I'm gambling, I'd bet on it still going ahead.

That is a very good point anout klopp. He will definitely kick off if this game gets called off. You cant really blame him as they have had to do wednesday and saturday noon games

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

That is a very good point anout klopp. He will definitely kick off if this game gets called off. You cant really blame him as they have had to do wednesday and saturday noon games

Imagine if Newcastle were due to play Liverpool on Friday and he had to postpone a fixture.  

In fairness, that would be quite difficult given their schedule, but he'd be on the verge of spitting his teeth out in apoplexy by now.

Just now, Nigel said:

I thought this had already been pre agreed that games would go ahead where possible?

Think them having to close training ground has pretty much forced this as Public Health England became involved. Surprised they didn't wait until testing tomorrow before deciding.

On balance I support it as say we play and one of ours picks it up we could have situation in two weeks where we're going to play West Brom with half a team out.

Frustrating though as we're on a run of defeats and Wolves could easily be another loss. Having spare games isn't great either in this type of season where the schedule as packed as it is.

This game probably won't get re-arranged until February now.

• Like 1