Newcastle potential ‘Covid Outbreak’

chappy

If the rules were supposedly saying that games would still go ahead with a minimum playing squad of 14. Then how many of their players have actually tested positive? Some, a few? What’s to stop another team deciding to request postponement if they have a couple of key players out? 

Could Liverpool have requested to postpone their game when Salah, Shakiri, Keita and Alacantra were isolating? The precedent  has been set now, what’s to stop any team doing this. 

I should say, I don’t have a problem with player and staff safety. That comes first, and it’s debatable whether football should even be played at all right now. The problem is with the way it’s been handled, much like the governments handling of the pandemic, it’s a sack of shit. 

Edited by It's Your Round

7 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Where on earth are we going to fit these 2 games in

We could play both teams at the same time. A bit like a royal rumble, with less violence as VAR wouldn’t like that. Maybe have two footballs on the pitch at the same time. Then charge fans £65 to watch this new and exiting product. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Brucey said last week that St James Park could safely allow 20000 into the games

Some evil plan by Cabbage to infect everyone at Newcastle so he can begin his evil plans to take over the world.

• Haha 1

It kind of sucks for us, but safety first if possible and it saves me having an awkward discussion with the wife on how to spend a rare friday night without kids 😂

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I bet the PL wouldn't have taken this stance had it been Liverpool they were due to play. Klopp would have thrown a hissy fit.

This is going to be a real factor if it affects a team in Europe - there aren't additional game weeks free in the schedule for a team in Europe that does well in the FA Cup - Klopp might have to play three games in four or five days. That would be quite wrong I think.

But hilarious.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

There would be a question about who pays to compensate the TV companies - there will be a bill to BT or Sky (and their contemporaries abroad) of several million pounds if they lose this from their schedules, money that clubs will need to find - our league is run around the principle of broadcast revenues and the league will do absolutely everything they can to make sure the game goes ahead - they won't care about Newcastle in that, or about us, or about any sort of sporting, health or social concern - the driver will be how much money has to be given back to the TV companies.

I'd also imagine that the likes of Klopp are watching this very carefully - unforeseen changes to the schedule (or the opportunity for his side to get a free week with enough positive test results) will be enormously concerning to him and those like him.

There's a question on the confirmation of numbers infected, and also on who is producing the test results, there will need to be a very strict protocol of screening and testing carried out independently by the league - there are lots of very awkward factors to consider - but ultimately this'll come down to money.

If I'm gambling, I'd bet on it still going ahead.

See you at Gamblings anonymous OBE!

Pretty sure this is just one of the bonus games and wouldn't have been shown as one of the main 5 if everything was back to normal (although of course it was shown on a Monday night last season so perhaps I'm wrong).

Is it that much different to when a TV game has to be called off due to bad weather, I mean it will likely get played in a month or two.

There's no prem fixtures on weekend of Jan 23rd although I'm guessing that's FA cup 4th round weekend so they're probably hoping both ourselves and Newcastle both get knocked out in round 3 which has regularly happened in last few years.

No FA cup replays also means a couple more midweeks available in Jan and Feb.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Nothing to do with them having Dubravka, Fraser, Lascelles, Saint Max out injured is it... 🤔

Wonder how many confirmed cases they have.

Guess we'll have to see how long it is before they play again, they've got West Brom on 12th Dec which will probably be in doubt aswell.