Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

7 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Honestly don't know why so many are fearing them. They are physical. That's it. Play through them and finish our chances. If we finished the chances we had vs brighton we would have won by a cricket score

I don't think we fear anyone, but ourselves.

If the right Villa Team turn up, we will be ok.

• Like 1

Marvelous to start deeper and Luiz & Mcginn further forward, Jack and Trez out wide causing problems

Villa to sneak it 2-1/3-2 - I think these types of games suit us

Edited by cb_82
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cb_82 said:

Marvelous to start deeper and Luiz & Mcginn further forward, Jack and Trez out wide causing problems

Villa to sneak it 2-1/3-2 - I think these types of games suit us

That's what I was thinking with Barkley out. The closest player we have to Jack and Barkley in terms in technique and athleticism is Douglas. So I'd put Douglas into Barkley's spot and bring Marvellous in to the holding spot.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'd keep the side we've seen do well this season, but replace Traore with Barkley if he's injured. While I think we will lose, I'm thinking Traore might get a goal today. 

On what basis?

Apart from the set piece he did nothing all game.

Ross will be really missed, but cant we just tell some one to play like him. watch some videos and play the same style, Der I know its not that easy But !!

Is it the man or the way he plays that we are missing ?  

Edited by Robtaylor200

I’m a bit torn on this game, not sure how I’d like us to approach it. I’ve thought that we need to get back to showing the same desire for a clean sheet that we displayed at the end of last season and beginning of this, maybe not press so high? But then I’ve thought that this is West Ham, David Moyes. They’re big and physical, look to win games with power from set pieces and breaks. And so I then think we’ve a better chance of getting something if we play in their half, press them higher up and try to keep set pieces into our box to a minimum. They have some height and power in Soucek, Ogbonna, Rice, and Haller. And they also have pace out wide with Bowen and Fornals. 
Ive decided I’d bring Grealish infield to replace Barkley as our ball carrier in the West Ham half, I think he could get Soucek or Rice booked early as they’d target him. Grealish can also find a pass through the middle, and I think that’s where this game will be won. I’d keep Trezeguet on the right, probably give ElGhazi a go on the left, think he gave a decent performance off the bench last week. I think we have a decent front 4 diamond that can be quite fluent and interchangeable, we just need the guys sitting behind them to be disciplined.

Another beatable mid table team, another routine loss i fear, 2-1 with late var controversy coming. We seem to either enjoy being the under dog and playing up to opposing teams (Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal) or having just turning up be enough (Fulham, 10 man sheff), when we have to work hard against what is likely to be our mid table rivals by seasons end, we just don't seem to have that extra gear.

West Ham are a decent team but so are we. I think it will be a decent game but I expect DS to outthink Moyes.

I'd go with:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz

Trez Hourihane McGinn Grealish

Watkins

I think Hourihane is more of a threat than Traore and he's useful off the bench. I also think Trez is due another hot streak and will eventually start taking the chances that are falling to him. 

I think it will be a hard fought 2-0 win to the mighty Villa. Watkins and McGinn. 

• Like 1