Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It doesn't mean he'll repeat that performance every game. It takes time for some players to find their feet at a new club.

Why wait for him to become ok when Hourihane can do a perfectly fine job? 

Like he showed against SU and Fulham

• Like 2

This is a hard game to call if you were a betting man. After some of the freakish results we've churned out this season I wouldn't be surprised if they bonked us 8-0, equally so if we smashed them. Put it this way, if we win tonight we'll probably end up losing Friday or vice versa.

• Like 1

can't see the villa that beat liverpool or arsenal turning up here. It'll be the villa that get destroyed by leeds or southampton here. When we had a post international break, we were 4-0 down after an hour, after a pathetic display. Maybe this time the rest will actually help us, but it's hard to predict which villa side will turn up. West Ham are a very solid team, and whilst they may not have the spark we occasionally have, they are far, far, far, far, more reliable as a defensively solid side. They can rely on their defence. We absolutely cannot rely on any of our defenders. They may well play well as they have done before, but i can't see how anyone is confident  they will. 

Martinez
Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett
           McGinn - Luiz
       Trez - Traore - Grealish
                  Watkins

I'd go with that team. Give Traore a start, I don't fancy watching Hourihane. 

Really can't decide how tonight is going to go. Another defeat to a side you'd fancy 3 points from wouldn't be ideal at all and probably tarnish what was looking like a good start. 

Conor starting would lower our chances of winning this winnable game.

West Ham are a big physical side, Conor is not big and certainly not physical. West Ham are strong on set pieces both offensively and defensively. So while Conor would certainly provide good set piece delivery, The threat our 2 big men would pose to West hams 6 big men is rather low. 

Against West ham the focus would be to win second balls as we don't have a big man to put in the middle of the park to compete with Soucek and Rice. Nakamba would actually be a better alternative to Conor. 

Against West Ham we will need to not over commit bodies forward, while looking to retain possession and keep ball out of our defensive third as much as possible. We will need to be patient and creative to break down what is quite a stubborn West Ham defence.

If we are being defensive then Nakamba is the man to come in. If we are being offensive the Traore is the man to come in. 

Everyone is bigging up Conor's performances against Sheffield United and Fulham however they are 2 of the worst teams in the league, and Fulham were atrocious in the first 3 or 4 games of the season before they brought in a number of players on deadline day.

So while I agree that Conor should be next in line, as he did absolutely nothing wrong to find himself on the bench, he simply isn't the best choice to start this game.

• Like 2

I’d sort of forgotten about football since Brighton last Saturday. Having to wait a week then a whole weekend, and then a day’s work, takes the edge of it for me. 

Looking forward to it though, can’t predict a result so I’ll just hope we win. If West Ham win, it will be three in a row for them. They’ve improved but they’re not that good. If we play to our potential we can take the points. We have super Jack, he alone can win the game. 

I should also add that West Hams weakness defensively is down the flanks. There are a few ways of exploiting this. Play with Traore up top with Watkins. Have them look to get in behind the West Ham wing backs, and draw out the wide CB.

Or play the 4 2 3 1 and get the number 10 to go wide and support the winger on the ball and get Watkins to look to get in behind the WB's, with the wingers quickly getting forward to support Watkins and create overloads down the flanks. This is our normal method of building attacks primarily down our left.

In the first scenario Hourihane would be perfect for the left side of a midfield diamond with Jack behind the front 2. Trezguet would have to be the man to make way.

In the second scenario Traore comes in for Barkley and we stick to the same formation we have been using. Clearly this scenario is the most likely. However if we get a lead switching to the first scenario would be great for the counter attack and having an extra body in midfield to win second balls.

We can't really sit back and look to hit them on the break as they are A; unlikely to commit bodies forward (unless we get a lead), and B; such a threat on crosses and set pieces. We can't let them win corners, long throws, and free kicks around our box, and sitting back invites them into those positions where they can win dangerous set pieces.

I was listening to Villa Talks podcast and James Rushden was advocating sitting back and hitting them on the counter. I see this at best as the two teams cancelling each other out. He questioned why we look to get on the front foot and attack teams at home. He forgets that that is how Dean Smith likes his teams to play. 

This also loses sight of the fact Jack would be even more effective if we have more ball in the opposition half. It also ignores that if we want to improve we have to have more about us then dangerous counter attacks. We need to be good enough to dominate games against the bottom half teams in our league. We need to be able to beat the weaker counter attacking teams and park the bus sides. It's the next step in our teams evolution. 

1 minute ago, handsworthvilla said:

My prediction for VT post-match commentary - 

If Conor starts and we lose, it'll be his fault. No energy, not enough bite, doesn't put himself about enough 

It Conor starts and we win, it'll be a coincidence, everyone else carried him 

Depends how he plays! If he is playing dangerous set pieces, scoring and or assisting, regardless of the result he will get praise. If he is anonymous and get subbed of before the 70th minute he will righty get panned regardless of the result. 

I see what you're saying though and agree he does seem next in line for everyone's favourite scapegoat!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Ross will be really missed, but cant we just tell some one to play like him. watch some videos and play the same style, Der I know its not that easy But !!

Is it the man or the way he plays that we are missing ?  

Football is played in the head......I thinks its the man, that determines which way he plays.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

My prediction for VT post-match commentary - 

If Conor starts and we lose, it'll be his fault. No energy, not enough bite, doesn't put himself about enough 

It Conor starts and we win, it'll be a coincidence, everyone else carried him 

thats really like saying....I never watched the match just went with my preconceptions.

I have no doubt, if conor plays and plays well, i will say so, irrespective of my general opinion of him....but its my opinion of that performance......playing well covers a multitude of factors.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Speaking to a couple of West Ham fans at work today, they are absolutely shiting themselves about playing us.

I guess the toilets will be congested then.....tell the gaffa to rent  a portakabin for the day.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

can't see the villa that beat liverpool or arsenal turning up here. It'll be the villa that get destroyed by leeds or southampton here. When we had a post international break, we were 4-0 down after an hour, after a pathetic display. Maybe this time the rest will actually help us, but it's hard to predict which villa side will turn up. West Ham are a very solid team, and whilst they may not have the spark we occasionally have, they are far, far, far, far, more reliable as a defensively solid side. They can rely on their defence. We absolutely cannot rely on any of our defenders. They may well play well as they have done before, but i can't see how anyone is confident  they will. 

Soucek & Rice v Luiz and McGinn......thats where the game will be won and lost.

ps not scoring wise, play wise.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

Conor starting would lower our chances of winning this winnable game.

West Ham are a big physical side, Conor is not big and certainly not physical. West Ham are strong on set pieces both offensively and defensively. So while Conor would certainly provide good set piece delivery, The threat our 2 big men would pose to West hams 6 big men is rather low. 

Against West ham the focus would be to win second balls as we don't have a big man to put in the middle of the park to compete with Soucek and Rice. Nakamba would actually be a better alternative to Conor. 

Against West Ham we will need to not over commit bodies forward, while looking to retain possession and keep ball out of our defensive third as much as possible. We will need to be patient and creative to break down what is quite a stubborn West Ham defence.

If we are being defensive then Nakamba is the man to come in. If we are being offensive the Traore is the man to come in. 

Everyone is bigging up Conor's performances against Sheffield United and Fulham however they are 2 of the worst teams in the league, and Fulham were atrocious in the first 3 or 4 games of the season before they brought in a number of players on deadline day.

So while I agree that Conor should be next in line, as he did absolutely nothing wrong to find himself on the bench, he simply isn't the best choice to start this game.

good points.

I would be tempted to go 3 at the back and bring in Hause for his aerial ability.

you are right they have some big units, soucek and rice are a danger at set pieces.

56 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I hate it when we play away at West ham on the TV. I end up watching the  team in Claret and Blue 

I expect a cagey win tonight, score early and then edge of the seat stuff

Need to play in our lucky colour.......Black.

perhaps we could do the Haka to boot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Another loss I fear, would still be a good start to the season on the whole but we are moving closer to our more realistic finishing position.

I really worry about these belated games, that it encourages us to take our foot off the gas.