Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

You'd better off betting the £20 on Hourihane to score twice, then giving part of your new found millionaire wealth to Acorns whilst retiring with the rest.

Think I read that we've been training with Grealish in the #10 role with Traore and Trez on the flanks so that would mean Hourihane might not even feature :D 

48 minutes ago, sne said:

Think I read that we've been training with Grealish in the #10 role with Traore and Trez on the flanks so that would mean Hourihane might not even feature :D 

This would be my preference to be honest. I thought Traore looked pretty bright against Brighton especially in the first half even though he got his assist in the second.

Martinez

Cash  Konsa  Mings  Targett

Luiz      McGinn

Traore       Grealish     Trezeguet

Watkins

4-2-3-1 with Traore, Grealish and Trez interchanging.

Worth a go.

Edited by wedge
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wedge said:

This would be my preference to be honest. I thought Traore looked pretty bright against Brighton especially in the first half even though he got his assist in the second.

Martinez

Luiz      McGinn

Watkins

4-3-2-1 with Traore, Grealish and Trez interchanging.

Worth a go.

I'd say that's a very likely starting 11

• Like 1

20 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Newcastle will have THREE extra days rest ahead of our game next week. 

Considering how knackered our players looked last week, thats a huge advantage for them. The scheduling is ridiculous.

Other way to look at that is that our knackered players have had three extra days rest this week compared to Newcastle who also played last Saturday. Hopefully they're nicely refreshed. 

Some weeks you get more time off, some weeks you get less. There's still 4 days between Monday and Friday's fixtures. 

Tomorrow night, we return to the ground at which we secured our PL safety five months ago. We travel to London for a second consecutive time, following a home defeat and needing a win to compensate for that. Our away form gives us some grounds for optimism, as we have a 100% winning record away from home this season. We really could really use another win, which would move us up to fifth and to within 3 points of the leaders, with a game in hand. A draw would guarantee that we remained in the top half of the table and it would also extend our unbeaten run away from Villa Park to six games.

We last won at Upton Park 9 years ago. We have since lost two and have drawn three, of our subsequent visits to East London. Overall we have won 34 and have drawn 33 of the 102 league games, that there have been between the two clubs. We therefore need a win to even things up. This will be far from an easy game and a win would take the home side above us. A draw would not be a bad outcome, but a win would be a far better one. Just win it for us Villa! :flag:        

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wedge said:

Martinez

Luiz      McGinn

Watkins

4-2-3-1 with Traore, Grealish and Trez interchanging.

Worth a go.

I'd play that to be honest I think we'd do well in that shape

55 minutes ago, John said:

Tomorrow night, we return to the ground at which we secured our PL safety five months ago. We travel to London for a second consecutive time, following a home defeat and needing a win to compensate for that. Our away form gives us some grounds for optimism, as we have a 100% winning record away from home this season. We really could really use another win, which would move us up to fifth and to within 3 points of the leaders, with a game in hand. A draw would guarantee that we remained in the top half of the table and it would also extend our unbeaten run away from Villa Park to six games.

We last won at Upton Park 9 years ago. We have since lost two and have drawn three, of our subsequent visits to East London. Overall we have won 34 and have drawn 33 of the 102 league games, that there have been between the two clubs. We therefore need a win to even things up. This will be far from an easy game and a win would take the home side above us. A draw would not be a bad outcome, but a win would be a far better one. Just win it for us Villa! :flag:        

5 months ago!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

I think assuming our form is back to normal from the Brighton game.

I think if McGinn and Luiz have good games......we have a real chance.

we have to win the midfield.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

We have played some great football at times this season......but we have also shown at times, we are too easy to play against.

We have to be more hard nosed at The London stadium......If they beat us, we have to make sure they have worked hard for it.

I have no doubt, we have the ability.....we need the running and the runs, to be right on the night.....working OFF the ball needs to be better than the recent home games.

Crucial game in the grand scheme of the table and our push forward before a tricky festive and January kick in. 

which means we will likely get beaten. 

whenever I hope strongly for victory we never seem to do it.