Happy Christmas or Something (2020)

Seat68

Our area will be in Tier 2 (like much of the country) and a bubbly co-worker has asked if we can arrange a Christmas meal for everyone (outside in a local pub garden) in groups of 6.  I've now booked off work from 07th December (meaning my last day working will be the 04th - I had Annual Leave saved up) so I can miss all of this madness.  Just one week to go.  I can do this. 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 2

Mrs Sidcow has just informed me that Sleepless in Seattle is classed as a Christmas movie on Sky. 

I was about to object because I think it's just a movie set around Christmas. 

Then I thought, well I class Trading Places as a Christmas movie so I'm just being hypocritical. 

Discuss. 

44 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Mrs Sidcow has just informed me that Sleepless in Seattle is classed as a Christmas movie on Sky. 

I was about to object because I think it's just a movie set around Christmas. 

Then I thought, well I class Trading Places as a Christmas movie so I'm just being hypocritical. 

Discuss. 

You're going to set him off

• Haha 2

First of all, if people want to consider a film a Christmas film or not, whether it’s Die Hard, Home Alone, Lethal Weapon, whatever...hey, that’s fine.  

But from my own stance, @Seat68 summed it up pretty perfectly in his earlier post. If the film comes on the telly in June and I don’t think “Why are they showing this now?” then I probably don’t really consider it a Christmas film.

Now that’s probably true of Die Hard, Home Alone, Lethal Weapon, The Apartment, and a host of others that are set at Christmas (Brazil, In Bruges, Go, Batman Returns...the list goes on).

As has been mentioned a large part (possibly the majority?) of It’s a wonderful life isn’t set at Christmas, but if that film came on in the summer, I’d think that would be a bit odd so I have to conclude it’s a Christmas film.

But if Die Hard, etc are essential Christmas viewing for someone, then great. 

@sidcow, as for Sleepless in Seattle, I can’t picture the moment in which Christmas is referenced or featured. So probably not. I vaguely remember Meg Ryan decorating a Christmas tree but I’m pretty sure that was You’ve got mail.

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

First of all, if people want to consider a film a Christmas film or not, whether it’s Die Hard, Home Alone, Lethal Weapon, whatever...hey, that’s fine.  

But from my own stance, @Seat68 summed it up pretty perfectly in his earlier post. If the film comes on the telly in June and I don’t think “Why are they showing this now?” then I probably don’t really consider it a Christmas film.

Now that’s probably true of Die Hard, Home Alone, Lethal Weapon, The Apartment, and a host of others that are set at Christmas (Brazil, In Bruges, Go, Batman Returns...the list goes on).

As has been mentioned a large part (possibly the majority?) of It’s a wonderful life isn’t set at Christmas, but if that film came on in the summer, I’d think that would be a bit odd so I have to conclude it’s a Christmas film.

@sidcow, as for Sleepless in Seattle, I can’t picture the moment in which Christmas is referenced or featured. So probably not. I vaguely remember Meg Ryan decorating a Christmas tree but I’m pretty sure that was You’ve got mail.

1476448724-0dca4495-54b1-4ece-a051-421d4

3ba47beafd0d5b9277f8714e23d8556b.jpg

Yeah it pretty much covers Christmas starting on Christmas Eve. 

I'm still unconvinced though. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

as for Sleepless in Seattle, I can’t picture the moment in which Christmas is referenced or featured.

Wiki says the kid phones the radio station on Xmas Eve. I have no idea because I've never had any desire to watch such mush

Filing it as a xmas film probably helps as apart from Die Hard (:trollface:) every one I've seen has been tosh*

*this may not actually be true

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Wiki says the kid phones the radio station on Xmas Eve. I have no idea because I've never had any desire to watch such mush

Filing it as a xmas film probably helps as apart from Die Hard (:trollface:) every one I've seen has been tosh*

*this may not actually be true

I momentarily considered watching it to make a considered view, then after a few seconds came to my senses. I'm off to watch Die Hard. 

Incidentally this whole conversation with Mrs Sidcow started because she noticed I had set the Vbox to record Die Hard (which is NOT a Christmas movie, I just felt watching it) 

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

1476448724-0dca4495-54b1-4ece-a051-421d4

3ba47beafd0d5b9277f8714e23d8556b.jpg

Yeah it pretty much covers Christmas starting on Christmas Eve. 

I'm still unconvinced though. 

That’s fine, with that in mind, I’d therefore rank it about the same as Rocky on the Christmas film scale.

10 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

One of my favourite romcoms You’ve got mail

Â