Happy Christmas or Something (2020)

Seat68

18 minutes ago, TB said:

Oh. Nordic countries, not Scandinavia. Sorry.

Still a useful insight, thanks. 

They don't seem to have treacle in the Finnish online supermarket. There is a dark syrup, tumma siirappi. I don't think it's the same?

The cheese is sealed in wax and wrapped, I might still go for that? It's what to put in the customs description? 

'Non alcoholic edible gift set', perhaps?

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Still a useful insight, thanks. 

They don't seem to have treacle in the Finnish online supermarket. There is a dark syrup, tumma siirappi. I don't think it's the same?

The cheese is sealed in wax and wrapped, I might still go for that? It's what to put in the customs description? 

'Non alcoholic edible gift set', perhaps?

https://tulli.fi/en/private-persons/receiving-gifts/gifts-sent-from-abroad

It seems that you can receive food from EU countries as a gift without any special restrictions: https://tulli.fi/en/private-persons/faq/faq-gift-consignments 

"You can send cheese from EU countries as a gift."

Your customs description sounds reasonable enough.

I'd love to have a taste of that cheddar - maybe sometime in the future when it's possible to travel again...

(edit: no, the nordic dark syrup isn't the same - possibly a 50/50 mix of dark treacle and golden syrup.)

Edited by TB
the syrup
  • Thanks 1

Don’t send anything via Felixstowe that has a best before date in the next 6 months.

It’s going to be on the dockside a little while.

Though in some ways, it would be the perfect Brexit 2020 Christmas present, turning up late with a bad smell about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I might do Xmas like the 90s and only watch Xmas telly from the terrestrial TV channels, get the radio times and circle what I want to watch. 

It’ll probably be the same programs from the 90s too 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Weird one this year.

I have flights back home 22nd-26th but who knows if I'll take them or not. Either way, we're moving out of this flat end of Nov, into my partner's parents place and I have no idea how Christmassy they are.

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Norwegians can't get malt vinegar? Does this mean they put gravy on their fish and chips?  ;)

Short answer: 1) yes 2) no

Longer answer: 1) You can find it in a few stores, but it's expensive, so I ask anyone going to the UK to bring back some. I still haven't found Dark treacle in any shop in Oslo.

2) Obvious reference to the Gravy Feud thread there, but no: never heard about gravy with fish and chips in Norway, never seen it as an option on any menu. Ketchup for the chips, tartar sauce/remoulade for the fish. Occasionally truffle mayonnaise or aioli for both.

Gravy is very much a UK thing isn't it? Not including what the yanks call "gravy" 

You can get meat sauces and browning sauces and stuff here but you won't get it on chips, been to a fair few pommes places in Belgium and Holland too, Belgium in particular with 20+ sauces and there's never a gravy 

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Gravy is very much a UK thing isn't it? Not including what the yanks call "gravy" 

You can get meat sauces and browning sauces and stuff here but you won't get it on chips, been to a fair few pommes places in Belgium and Holland too, Belgium in particular with 20+ sauces and there's never a gravy 

Gravy on fish and chips isnt normal. Don’t let the voice of some weirdos suggest this is normal practice. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I told my wife I was only giving her this for Christmas and she took it the wrong way. 

So, up the right 'un then?

how very strange!

• Like 1

Â