Happy Christmas or Something (2020)

Seat68

22 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

First of all, if people want to consider a film a Christmas film or not, whether it’s Die Hard, Home Alone, Lethal Weapon, whatever...hey, that’s fine.  

But from my own stance, @Seat68 summed it up pretty perfectly in his earlier post. If the film comes on the telly in June and I don’t think “Why are they showing this now?” then I probably don’t really consider it a Christmas film.

Same with songs.

Do you think The Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood is a Christmas song?

I do, despite a lot of people saying it isn't. Its never played at any other time of the year and the video is the nativity. Therefore, for me, its an Xmas song :) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Same with songs.

Do you think The Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood is a Christmas song?

I do, despite a lot of people saying it isn't. Its never played at any other time of the year and the video is the nativity. Therefore, for me, its an Xmas song :) 

Yeah on balance I’d probably agree. Same as “stay another day”, I suppose. The content of the song is not overtly Christmas themed, but if it came on the radio in the summer, that would seem odd to me. 

Now you’ve done it, trying to think if there’s a song equivalent of Die Hard where some staunchly argue it’s festive merits but it doesn’t seem out of place any other time of the year 🤔

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Now you’ve done it, trying to think if there’s a song equivalent of Die Hard where some staunchly argue it’s festive merits but it doesn’t seem out of place any other time of the year 🤔

I always think of Walking in the Air as a Xmas song (because of the Snowman) but its not really. Not that its ever heard much anymore! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Same with songs.

100%

So as it’s December on Tuesday, I’m beginning to consider Christmas.

what is on everyone’s Christmas list? 

personally haven’t got a clue what I want/need (which makes me pretty lucky I suppose). 

The best I can come up with is a bottle of Kraken spiced rum and Ernest Cline’s Ready Player Two!

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

Presents are a nightmare. The missus and I have agreed to not buy each other anything, but to spend the money on some garden furniture for the new she^H^H^H summer house. She's sorted out everything for the kids and grandkids, so all I'm left with is the £5-£10 secret santa, which I have to get for the son-in-law. Beer tokens, methinks. 

Rather excitingly, an electric toothbrush (I think).

And that’s it. My mum insists on getting me something, so as I could do with one, it’ll be that. 

It’s more about getting stuff for my kid and my mum. That’s more enjoyable for me these days. If I had a Mrs, I’d be getting her a few things too obviously. Not really fussed about receiving anything, a token gift or two is more than enough.

Much more looking forward to the festive food and drink.

53 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

personally haven’t got a clue what I want/need (which makes me pretty lucky I suppose). 

Same here. I mainly have to make up stuff I only have a passing interest in to be honest. 

It's not helped that I literally cannot remember the last time they made a movie or TV series I would like to own on DVD and there isn't much music around I have much interest in either. 

Most of my 20s/30s/40s I would have a big list of DVDs and CDs.  I used to deliberately not buy stuff I wanted to save it for the Christmas list

And it's doubly hard because my Birthday is 20th January so it's a joint list. 

Last year I had SO much aftershave that I've still got enough to last me till next year even though I religiously wear it everyday even if I'm only slobbing round the house. 

I'm going to have to go all in on a very expensive bottle of Whisky I think. 

• Like 1

No gigs, no football, no weekends away

That's been my Xmas list for about 20 years now, not a clue what I want 

Its a proper 1st world problem, I'm fortunate to be able to but a lot of what I want and too fussy to have my mom or the likes go and buy me clothes, I end up giving my mom and the wife a long list of vinyl records and asking them not to tell me which ones they're getting 

For me Christmas gifts are getting harder as I get older

I’m running more and want a rucksack I can run with as it will reduce short car journeys in to Warwick for buying bits and bobs and save on 50p parking here and there.

want a thermos flask for football with the young one, it’s getting cold!

always welcome a nice bottle of port 

Sports vouchers good as I play cricket and not a cheap sport. 

ive shared sorting gifts out for the kids and family.

We are staying home for Christmas so going big on the food, I’m going to eat my body weight in pâté 

Â