Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

Yeah, it looks very very unlikely we'll be signing anyone. I've said my piece on here before about the lack of depth up front, but whether it's because we can't get anyone good enough or we don't think we need anyone it's not going to happen.

Hope everyone is ready to cross all available fingers and toes that Watkins is able to play every minute of the season remaining.

• Like 2

Can’t see why we are not letting Davis out on loan as let’s be honest he will never make it as a PL striker and he isnt getting minutes anyway and then getting a Forward in on loan or permanent just to make sure we have a back up to Watkins.

Edited by midian
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, midian said:

Can’t see why we are not letting Davis out on loan as let’s be honest he will never make it as a PL striker and he isnt getting minutes anyway and then getting a Forward in on loan or permanent just to make sure we have a back up to Watkins.

Eeerrmmm, probably because he’s the only other senior striker in the squad that’s going to be available in the coming weeks and months......at a guess 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Eeerrmmm, probably because he’s the only other senior striker in the squad that’s going to be available in the coming weeks and months......at a guess 

Yet we have little faith to actually bring him on in games when we're losing. Was an usused sub when we lost to Leeds and Southampton at home and we put on Trez and AEG before him at Burnley.

Quite a leap to go from that to potentially starting 3-4 games if Ollie is out for a few weeks.

43 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I've already projected the " We might as well play with 10 men " gag to answer your question.

" Worse than useless " etc.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Jack gets fouled beyond belief every game.....we need on good header of the ball, to join our squad, to take advantage of the free kicks....like Soucek and Vestergaard do.

we have to work so hard, for our goals.

4th most headed goals in the league, 3 more than Southampton who Vestergaard plays for

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yet we have little faith to actually bring him on in games when we're losing. Was an usused sub when we lost to Leeds and Southampton at home and we put on Trez and AEG before him at Burnley.

Quite a leap to go from that to potentially starting 3-4 games if Ollie is out for a few weeks.

Its because Watkins is one of Smith's "unsubbables". Alongside Grealish and Mcginn. These 3 pretty much almost never get subbed off, especially when we're losing so its hard for Davis to come in for him. In fact, I'm not sure Davis has ever subbed in for Watkin in the league. Maybe once, but I'm pretty sure Davis was subbed in for a winger instead of Watkins whenever he got on the pitch.

Barkley, Traore, El Ghazi and Trez are the players who are at risk of getting subbed off and obviously Smith is going to favour wingers and attacking midfielders to sub in for other wingers and attacking midfielders.

In summary, I think Smith rates Davis and sees him to be good enough as backup for us. The reason he hasn't played much is not that he doesn't rate him, its that he rates Watkins a lot more.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, paul514 said:

He was a third choice right back, so no.

Third choice or first choice, he was part if the 25 man squad named for this season..

That is now 24, so we have a gap in the squad.

I'm not saying there is a signi g coming, but there is a possibility there could be one because of this.