Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

People keep asking what would happen if Watkins gets injured now. It would clearly derail our season to some degree (look at Wolves) but we would certainly have enough to avoid relegation now, so would it really matter (beyond being frustrating)? Clearly the club have weighed up the cost of another striker vs risk of an injury to Watkins and decided the loss of form that would follow an injury would be acceptable this year. Doubt the fans would ever agree with this stance, but we do not see the finances behind the scenes.

I think it is probably a case that there is no value in the January market so it is not worth spunking our FFP allowance at this stage when we are so comfortable in the league this year. I don’t think the club wants to spend money on temporary solutions any more. I would expect a proper striker cover signing in summer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

I think it is probably a case that there is no value in the January market so it is not worth spunking our FFP allowance at this stage when we are so comfortable in the league this year. I don’t think the club wants to spend money on temporary solutions any more. I would expect a proper striker cover signing in summer.

Jizz Hornkamp says hi 🤣

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

People keep asking what would happen if Watkins gets injured now. It would clearly derail our season to some degree (look at Wolves) but we would certainly have enough to avoid relegation now, so would it really matter (beyond being frustrating)? Clearly the club have weighed up the cost of another striker vs risk of an injury to Watkins and decided the loss of form that would follow an injury would be acceptable this year. Doubt the fans would ever agree with this stance, but we do not see the finances behind the scenes.

For me, it’s risking an European place.  I’m amazed I’m even saying that but being a real optimist for a second.  The amount of money that would bring in along with being an attraction for better quality players who generally only go to Europe playing teams.

Maybe no value at the moment around but I have to believe if the right striker was available we would be after them, we definitely have a need. So you are probably right that there isn’t value at the moment.

• Like 2

Stepping in to this debate that we appear to not need healthy squad depth..

Continuing with the formation we have largely used this season, we have the following players to select from outside our strongest XI:

Heaton

Elmo   Engels   Hause   Taylor

Nakamba    Sanson*

Trezeguet    Ramsey     El Ghazi

Davis  (Wesley)

Apart from Sanson* (who has only just joined us), How many of those players do we feel confident in turning towards to bring on and change a game or see a game out? 

If we qualify for a European competition, how many of these players would you field?

They may all individually have good games when any of them are playing in amongst the first 11 on the odd occasion, but as a whole I feel we can improve on these players over the next 2 seasons.

Replacing them with atleast as good as what we already have in the first XI, or better! is the scenario we're most likely heading towards and I am not against it.

Qualifying for Europe will ensure the type of player we do bring in will go up a grade.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

For me, it’s risking an European place.  

You're going to get slaughtered for suggesting it is in grasp, and that we should try our best to take advantage while the iron is hot, and that there are fine margins in gaining extra points and places.

You're either with us or against us. Lol

That bein said, I think we could do it without a signing as long as we stay fit.

We are not overly reliant on our striker for goals.

• Like 1

Minutes so far this season, we have 9 players who have played close to 90 minutes in every game they've been available which is perhaps not ideal. But we also have a young squad who are likely well equipped to handle it and you can't argue with the results.

Sanson coming in will ease the load going forward but if we are to push on next season we will need to create a better squad with more options. Can't expect the starting 11 to carry such a heavy burden without risking a MON situation going into the final stretch of the season.

PLAYER   POSITION APPS
  •  
  •  
DECISIVE FIRST CONT SPREAD H/A SPLIT AVG RATING
  •  
3754.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Emiliano Martínez 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 GK 19 1710 0 0 0 0% -
37743.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Ollie Watkins 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 S (C) 19 1710 8 1 3 32% 5:3
4689.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Jack Grealish 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 AM (LC) 19 1708 6 1 1 53% 3:3
11266.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Matt Targett 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 D, M (L) 19 1695 0 0 0 5% -
34134.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60John McGinn 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 M, DM (C) 18 1620 1 1 0 17% 1:0
128498.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Douglas Luiz 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 M, DM (C) 18 1586 0 0 0 11% -
111415.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Matty Cash 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 D (R) 18 1585 0 0 0 11% -
36327.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Tyrone Mings 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 D (C) 18 1575 2 0 0 18% 1:1
97126.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Ezri Konsa 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 D (CR) 16 (1) 1485 2 1 1 13% 2:0
24834.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Bertrand Traoré 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 AM, W (R) 11 (6) 933 4 1 1 45% 2:2
4179.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Ross Barkley 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 M, AM (C) 10 (2) 816 3 2 2 44% 1:2
49266.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Trezeguet 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 AM (RL) 8 (3) 738 0 0 0 11% -
24473.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Anwar El Ghazi 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 W (R), AM (L) 5 (7) 520 5 3 2 67% 1:4
37078.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Kortney Hause 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 D (CL) 4 360 1 0 0 25% 1:0
36868.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Conor Hourihane 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 M, DM (C) 3 (1) 227 1 0 0 33% 0:1
44111.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Marvelous Nakamba 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 M, DM (C) 2 (4) 193 0 0 0 0% -
no_player4.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Jacob Ramsey 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 M, AM (C) 1 (6) 147 0 0 0 0% -
N/A
2105.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Ahmed El Mohamady 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 D (R) 1 (4) 129 0 0 0 0% -
105213.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Keinan Davis 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 S (C) 0 (5) 48 0 0 0 - -
2354.png&w=64&h=64&output=webp&q=60Neil Taylor 461.png&w=44&h=44&output=webp&q=60 D (L) 0 (1) 15 0 0 0 - - -

https://www.footballcritic.com/premier-league/season-2020-2021/player-stats/all/decisive/minutes-played/2/41756

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Continuing with the formation we have largely used this season, we have the following players to select from outside our strongest XI:

Heaton

Nakamba    Sanson*

Davis  (Wesley)

Apart from Sanson* (who has only just joined us), How many of those players do we feel confident in turning towards to bring on and change a game or see a game out? 

If we qualify for a European competition, how many of these players would you field?

They may all individually have good games when any of them are playing in amongst the first 11 on the odd occasion, but as a whole I feel we can improve on these players over the next 2 seasons.

Replacing them with atleast as good as what we already have in the first XI, or better! is the scenario we're most likely heading towards and I am not against it.

Qualifying for Europe will ensure the type of player we do bring in will go up a grade.

Don't think any could change a game to be honest and Dean picks who he picks because they are significantly better, that said when we get to 85 minutes leading 1-0 against a team very much on top, I think fresh legs and for just breaking play up and stop starting, I'm making 3 subs every time.

Unless there is a very good player available for the right price right now, O think we have to wait for the summer and I'd be surprised if we weren't very busy again, especially if we do the unbelievable and finish in the euro spots.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Well if it costs us from coming about 8-9th to about 13-14th then based on last season that would be about £10 million lost in revenue straight off the bat.

Looks like Sky will be flogging a dead horse on Monday as nothing is going to happen. Kind of apt as we are in Lockdown 3.

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We are not overly reliant on our striker for goals.

But for me we are reliant on Watkins being the focal point and we don’t have somebody else who could do that role and that allows others to do what they do.  Without that I think we won’t be as effective but if he stays fit and avoids suspensions then great but for me that’s a risk.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You're going to get slaughtered for suggesting it is in grasp, and that we should try our best to take advantage while the iron is hot, and that there are fine margins in gaining extra points and places.

Haha, I think top ten would be phenomenal season for us I really would.

As for European places, just such a strange season for results and teams getting mix of results.  Spurs losing Kane and Bale being ineffective, Arsenal are just bang average, Chelsea could be anything under new management, Everton are having wobbles and we are the same.  If we could go on a run then who knows and we know we have it in our kit bag to go on a run.

Who knows!  At least relegation if off the table.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Haha, I think top ten would be phenomenal season for us I really would.

As for European places, just such a strange season for results and teams getting mix of results.  Spurs losing Kane and Bale being ineffective, Arsenal are just bang average, Chelsea could be anything under new management, Everton are having wobbles and we are the same.  If we could go on a run then who knows and we know we have it in our kit bag to go on a run.

Who knows!  At least relegation if off the table.

I think this season could very well go down to the wire from 10th place upwards.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Heaton

Nakamba    Sanson*

Davis  (Wesley)

I'm confident in 7 (once wesley is back) of them. 8 if you add engels staying fit but that is unlikely. 

We don't have man City or Liverpool depth but we don't need it. We have better depth than 15 teams in this league. We could probably do with another striker but once wesley is back that will probably be redundant.

El Ghazi and Trez have both been important parts of victory this season. Nakamba has some of the best defensive stats in the league. Ramsey has potential and seems to get better very time he plays. Elmo is an experienced head (I'd prefer guilbert but oh well), Heaton is a good keeper and Steer is even better imo. Hause showed he had the quality against Chelsea. I'm confident in sanson. 

My only concerns are Taylor, Davis Engels. 

I believe top 10 is achievable and if someone said at the start would you take it id snap their hand off.

However, we are in a really great position to make top 8 even Europe and we should grasp the opportunity...not let it go and say well we finished 10th thats an improvement.

Higher in league = more money = more attractive to players = more likely to keep Jack.

Last nights game and burnley highlighted acouple of flaws that may prevent this.

1. Burnout of players, Smith's reluctance to change it up when we we are getting battered.  Slow the play the down a bit...relax...reorganisation of the defence.

2. Defensive problems from last year. Now it could be down to tiredness....or just quite good enough. At the start of the year we were more organised.

Lately the defending has been caototic, all over the shop...full backs at centre half....centre halves retreating to 6 yard box...midfielders in the box....under 10 stuff.

There were 8 villa players in the 6 yard box when Wood scored for Burnley and last night it was the same...ok they didn't score ...bodies everywhere...no out let as midfielders are too deep.

Get this right...rotate a bit more when needed and we won't keep holding on or losing games like we have recently.

Europe is possible 

I get the want for a striker, but the issue is top players don't come to teams like us to be back up. 

Watkins was too expensive and is too important to how we play to be rotated. He's our number 1 striker and we need stronger depth but it's tough. 

Outside the top usual 5 or 6 clubs, not many have quality back up forwards. 

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I get the want for a striker, but the issue is top players don't come to teams like us to be back up. 

Watkins was too expensive and is too important to how we play to be rotated. He's our number 1 striker and we need stronger depth but it's tough. 

Outside the top usual 5 or 6 clubs, not many have quality back up forwards. 

Agreed It's usually an ageing experienced pro or a young left field striker that would come to us. Very unlikely that we're going to get anyone in anyway.

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Agreed It's usually an ageing experienced pro or a young left field striker that would come to us. Very unlikely that we're going to get anyone in anyway.

I think we'll give Wesley a chance and know that Barry will probably be pushing more next season. 

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

But for me we are reliant on Watkins being the focal point and we don’t have somebody else who could do that role and that allows others to do what they do.  Without that I think we won’t be as effective but if he stays fit and avoids suspensions then great but for me that’s a risk.

Watkins is so good at drifting around and creating space. I wouldn't say his hold up play is top notch yet but it's early days.

The problem with him out for a few games and as it stands Davis having to start is we know Davis can't score and while his hold up is probably slightly better than Ollie's the play would be more static as he wouldn't be moving as much from left to right and pulling back 4s around, it would be all more central and condensed.

I'd still love a different type of striker in the squad, that Bent type box player we could throw on in games that are 1-1 with 15 minutes left and which we're swinging in loads of crosses but looks like we'll have to wait until the summer.

Milot Rashica 'in talks' over late move after Aston Villa transfer claims - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

Milot Rashica 'in talks' over late move after Aston Villa transfer claims

But the Kosovo international could be on the move imminently, with Sky in Germany reporting Hertha Berlin have opened talks over a loan deal for him.

How do they get away with this shit - Birmingham Live?

Pretty sure you know how I initially read this when I saw it pop up in the Newsnow feed ffs.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Milot Rashica 'in talks' over late move after Aston Villa transfer claims - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

How do they get away with this shit - Birmingham Live?

Pretty sure you know how I initially read this when I saw it pop up in the Newsnow feed ffs.

Personally, however good their story titles look (alongside the clear bait crap), on principle i never click on a Birmingham Mail/Live story now.....ever.

Completely trash rag, if i were heading up that rag i would be embarrassed, 95% of their "journo's" should be too.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3