Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

I would be surprised if we sign anyone of note. I think we are now at the stage of squad development where we look to add high quality signings, and they are harder to prise away from their clubs in the January window. We may add a short term stop gap signing to add cover, but I personally think we will keep our powder dry until the summer window and look to add quality.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, it looks very very unlikely we'll be signing anyone. I've said my piece on here before about the lack of depth up front, but whether it's because we can't get anyone good enough or we don't think we need anyone it's not going to happen.

Hope everyone is ready to cross all available fingers and toes that Watkins is able to play every minute of the season remaining.

Although, if we've wrapped games up with 20 mins left just take him off for a bit of restbite

On 30/01/2021 at 10:27, nick76 said:

I agree with what you are saying, it’s just sometimes hard after being battered year after year and so many false dawns, it’s just taking time to catch up to the new reality but we will.

Nick....I don't see anything wrong after a defeat, to have a grown up conversation as to ,how we could have done better.....none of us has a monopoly on solutions, but other views are welcome to see, after all its a forum, thats the objective.

It just seems that any negative observations or constructive criticism is deemed as ungrateful for what we have done so far.....that is wide of the mark, for me.....saying what we could have done better, is not slagging players off, its quite different.

In my humble opinion, football is dynamic, not static, rarely do teams just standstill, they are slowly on the ascendency or the descent......we are without doubt in the ascendency and we need to stay there....so improvement has to be pursued, like it is....what better subject to debate?

It is quite entertaining, to see descerning villa fans making realistic thoughts on how we can do that.......We all know its what the manager does that matters, but it is fun, to offer our thoughts.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

It's all going off on Sky News. As TRO said they should move it to Sky Comedy. Or something like Quest. Knobs!

I don't remember saying that?

4 hours ago, NeilS said:

I would be surprised if we sign anyone of note. I think we are now at the stage of squad development where we look to add high quality signings, and they are harder to prise away from their clubs in the January window. We may add a short term stop gap signing to add cover, but I personally think we will keep our powder dry until the summer window and look to add quality.

Yeah, I think we have arrived at that peg in the ground that says quality from here......we had to indulge in quantity, when we did, but that milestone has passed now.

2/3 quality signings in the summer, will be suffice.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

Nick....I don't see anything wrong after a defeat, to have a grown up conversation as how we could have done better.....none of us has a monopoly on solutions, but other views are welcome to see, after all its a forum, thats the objective.

It just seems that any negative observations or constructive criticism is deemed as ungrateful for what we have done so far.....that is wide of the mark, for me.....saying what we could have done better, is not slagging players off, its quite different.

In my humble opinion, football is dynamic, not static, rarely do teams just standstill, they are slowly on the ascendency or the descent......we are without doubt in the ascendency and we need to stay there....so improvement has to be pursued, like it is....what better subject to debate?

It is quite entertaining, to see descerning villa fans making realistic thoughts on how we can do that.......We all know its what the manager does that matters, but it is fun, to offer our thoughts.

I have no issue  issue with grown up conversations and debate.  I also know I am on the minority side of some discussions like my views on Davis. 

I think though sometimes people go over the top both ways when we win and when we lose. 

Some people then come on and state their opinions as fact, that Dean not using subs against Southampton was a flaw in his management and because he doesnt use subs as often as some would like.  I agreed that I would've brought on a sub(s) so I was on their side but then they start stating it as a flaw that Dean needs to fix.  No....it's how he chooses to manage and you cant argue for 24 hours or so that it is a flaw and then say factually (in their mind) that if Dean did this we would have more points. 

That is not fact it is opinion.  That's when it gets surreal.

Somebody yesterday then separated showed actual facts that Dean has used roughly the same number of subs as Pep and it was only relegation favourite candidates that had used 50% more subs.  People were saying Pep was an example when the truth, when the facts were presented, Dean uses subs as much as Pep and that is fascinating given the strength of Man City's bench that Pep doesnt do more.  Some on here use their perception or opinion as fact and that's where I dont like it.

Of course Dean can learn, just like we all can in life.  He's doing a damn fine job, better than any manager we've had here for decades.  He taken us a long way in 28 months and I am proud of Villa at the moment, but yesterday and the night before it felt on here that we had lost against Southampton because of the conversations from some, like Dean was almost failing.  As I commented with @DCJonah that I had to back away because the discussion was surreal.

It is an opinion board I know and I love the debate, hence why I'm here but I dont think some of it is constructive criticism sometimes, it's a view of the world not aligned with facts but some whose opinion/perspective they view as fact.  I criticised the team in the match thread, I thought we were lucky, I was surprised we didnt make subs.  Dean explained himself, why he didnt make subs and it made sense, whether you agree with him or not.  So I wasnt initially offering a different opinion to those who I then went further to debate with, but some on here just went surreal and it wasnt constructive criticism, it wasnt based on facts, it was just.......surreal.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 4

Does the loan window stay open for an extra month to non-premiership teams as per the summer window? 

If so then no major rush to send out Davis/Ramsey today, If Wes is only 3/4 weeks away then wait till then as he will most likely take Davis spot on the bench. 

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I have no issue  issue with grown up conversations and debate.  I also know I am on the minority side of some discussions like my views on Davis. 

I think though sometimes people go over the top both ways when we win and when we lose. 

Some people then come on and stat their opinions as fact, that Dean not using subs against Southampton was a flaw in his management and because he doesnt use subs as often as some would like.  I agreed that I would've brought on a sub(s) so I was on their side but then they start stating it as a flaw that Dean needs to fix.  No....it's how he chooses to manage and you cant argue for 24 hours or so that it is a floor and then say factually in their mind that if Dean did this we would have more points. 

That is not fact it is opinion.  That's when it gets surreal.

Somebody yesterday then separated showed actual facts that Dean has used roughly the same number of subs as Pep and it was only relegation favourite candidates that had used 50% more subs.  People were saying Pep was an example when in fact when the facts were presented Dean uses subs as much as Pep and that is fascinating given the strength of Man City's bench that he doesnt do more.  Some on here use their perception or opinion as fact and that's where I dont like it.

Of course Dean can learn, just like we all can in life.  He's doing a damn fine job, better than any manager we've had here for decades.  He taken us a long way in 28 months and I am proud of Villa at the moment, but yesterday and the night before it felt on here that we had lost against Southampton because of the conversations from some, like Dean was almost failing.  As I commented with @DCJonah i had to back away because the discussion was surreal.

It is an opinion board i know and I love the debate, hence why I'm here but I dont think some of it is constructive criticism sometimes, it's a view of the world not aligned with facts but some who opinion/perspective they view as fact.  I criticised the team in the match thread, I thought we were lucky, I was surprised we didnt make subs.  Dean explained himself why he didnt make subs and it made sense, whether you agree with him or not.  So I wasnt initially offering a different opinion to those who I then went further to debate with but some on here just went surreal and it wasnt constructive criticism, it wasnt based on facts, it was just.......surreal.

I agree.

first of all my post was not aimed at you, I was just discussing a generalisation with you.

Please let me give you my opinion......I always think my opinions are right and i will present them fervently, that could be construed as presenting them as facts, strong opinion, is what it is....until a stronger more feasible argument is countered, of which I will digest and if I think it has merit, I will yield.....I am not afraid to yield, to a better poster...if his/her argument is sound and better than mine......I will never argue for arguing sake or too proud to back down....I think the strength of the point being made must prevail.

Having said all that, there does come a time, when we have to agree to disagree....we all have to rememeber, we all see life differently, thats how we are wired....it spills over in to football.

It tickles me when folk say in debate " You must be watching a different game"  well, that is not the case, but the interpretation of the Game is different, blimey just moving in to different stands in the ground, can throw up slightly different perceptions of things.....I went down the front once and could not believe the pace of the game.

You do Have a view on Davis and I can't or resist saying your'e wrong, I do see your point......I am in the minority with my genreal views on Luiz and McGinn, and I accept the difference in opinions, would I change my opinion, so far No, but is events change or they start getting a more robust foothold in the game, then I could well change.

Opinions are like the Weather, they change.....blimey, I'll bet out coaches don't always agree on everything, but they have to compromise, to get it to work.

I have always been a fan with itchy feet, always looking to improve and getting highly excited when I can see real tangible improvement, both individually or as a team.....The team has improved no end, especially with Jack seeminglt getting better every game, I have no idea where his ceiling is and Martinez who has given us another dimension....Barkley has added that guile to help Jack and Ollie, (while learning) has given us competency up front....Targett has surpassed my original opinion of him and Matty ( 2) with a bit of support at times from others,will prove to be a fine full back.

The future is bright, very, very bright, but we would be fools, if we cannot see, where we can improve......and I have every confidence, these people at Villa with pursue that with Vigour.

Great time to be a Villa Fan......Hope we can do well on Wednesday.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree.

first of all my post was not aimed at you, I was just discussing a generalisation with you.

Please let me give you my opinion......I always think my opinions are right and i will present them fervently, that could be construed as presenting them as facts, strong opinion, is what it is....until a stronger more feasible argument is countered, of which I will digest and if I think it has merit, I will yield.....I am not afraid to yield, to a better poster...if his/her argument is sound and better than mine......I will never argue for arguing sake or too proud to back down....I think the strength of the point being made must prevail.

Having said all that, there does come a time, when we have to agree to disagree....we all have to rememeber, we all see life differently, thats how we are wired....it spills over in to football.

It tickles me when folk say in debate " You must be watching a different game"  well, that is not the case, but the interpretation of the Game is different, blimey just moving in to different stands in the ground, can throw up slightly different perceptions of things.....I went down the front once and could not believe the pace of the game.

You do Have a view on Davis and I can't or resist saying your'e wrong, I do see your point......I am in the minority with my genreal views on Luiz and McGinn, and I accept the difference in opinions, would I change my opinion, so far No, but is events change or they start getting a more robust foothold in the game, then I could well change.

Opinions are like the Weather, they change.....blimey, I'll bet out coaches don't always agree on everything, but they have to compromise, to get it to work.

I have always been a fan with itchy feet, always looking to improve and getting highly excited when I can see real tangible improvement, both individually or as a team.....The team has improved no end, especially with Jack seeminglt getting better every game, I have no idea where his ceiling is and Martinez who has given us another dimension....Barkley has added that guile to help Jack and Ollie, (while learning) has given us competency up front....Targett has surpassed my original opinion of him and Matty ( 2) with a bit of support at times from others,will prove to be a fine full back.

The future is bright, very, very bright, but we would be fools, if we cannot see, where we can improve......and I have every confidence, these people at Villa with pursue that with Vigour.

Great time to be a Villa Fan......Hope we can do well on Wednesday.

Oh I agree with everything you say (apart from Davis 😉).  If you look at our team then really only Jack and Emi arent really replaceable with better players in the world in my opinion.  We also know some of our players have still room to grow massively like Ollie has a very very bright future and continues to get better every game especially with his attitude.

I agree that people see things very differently, not only how they see the game but also the individual themselves, from age, to background, to experience.  It's one of the great things about football and for me I love football because it ice breaks so many conversations in business situations that I've been fortunate to have around the world.  I remember I had a meeting in Hong Kong about a deal and I was very nervous as I was one of the junior members of the team but the clients heard my accent and asked about football and then that opened/broke the ice and we chatted about that and that made the an easy entrance into the deal discussions.......and football does that because there are so many different view points, favourites and discussion points.  So I love it.

I think the more modern thing of trolling gets my goat a bit, especially I see from some on this forum and I try to block that out but there are definitely times when you have to believe some people are on the wind up.

As for Davis I would probably be on this forum the most delighted if he was successful.  For a couple of decades I went down and watched the younger teams and reserves before I went to Australia to live for a while.  I loved watching the kids progress through the levels and then get the first team start.  We've had so many false dawns of a player that looked so good and then got to the first team and just didnt work out.  You see the club hang onto those players longer than they should because it is somebody that has come through the ranks, when it's doing neither the club or the player any good.  Davis for me is one of those players that should've been out on loan for the last couple of years building his confidence and abilities up but now he's at the point of what!  I want him to go to another club and have a great career and haunt us like Cahill did.

The future is so bright and that's why post Southampton game on here was surreal.  We have been the best team most season, we werent on Saturday but we dug out a result....lucky maybe, but we dug it out.  A team is best judge when up against it in terms of character and we had character that game.  I came on here and for 24 hours felt like we had lost.  We should be proud that we play well generally, we have improved massively and for one of the first times we showed we could dig in against a really good team in Southampton.  Yes we can keep on improving and we will, just felt it was a little bizarre for a while there.

Two big games this week coming up with teams around us, I'd love to get to good results.