Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

We can obviously need a LB, CB, RW, FW etc. We need a better squad and a better RW option. But ignoring all that, as I don't have much expectations in a January window, I think I just want us to sign some attacking talent with a lot of pace. We're definitely short on pace. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TRO said:

I would like to see us scout the lower divisions more....I am not saying abandon the big money signings....what I am saying is, gems are out there.

We would never have contemplated signing Ivan Toney, but he give a decent account of himself against a top team like Spurs.....for 5 mill its a decent find.

There are players out there, with good scouting can pick up a few gambles, surely its worth giving a few hopefuls a chance.

There were certainly suggestions on here that we should've been in for Toney. Not sure why we couldn't sign such players and loan them out to the Championship if they're not ready for the PL, since he is now worth the standard £20m already.

Dele Alli, Ashley Westwood and Fabian Delph have all made the leap straight from League One to the PL just off the top of my head.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Are we looking to bring players in this window, has Smith commented on it?

He’s been very vague about it, if the right player becomes available etc. It’s good we’re not blabbing intentions so we stay strong at negotiating table, bad for fans who want to know what’s going on 😂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

There were certainly suggestions on here that we should've been in for Toney. Not sure why we couldn't sign such players and loan them out to the Championship if they're not ready for the PL, since he is now worth the standard £20m already.

Dele Alli, Ashley Westwood and Fabian Delph have all made the leap straight from League One to the PL just off the top of my head.

Dele was only one who hit the ground running. Delph started the opening game of 2009/10 season struggled and then unsurprisingly was a bench player for the rest of the season bar the odd start in cups. Then had a couple of bad injuries and only really became genuinely good prem midfield halfway through 12/13 season.

Westwood actually hadn't played much in league one, he was part of Crewe team promoted from league 2 in summer 2012. Again took a few months to settle in but was regular in team from November onwards and did fine.

Actually think Toney did the right sort of move. If he'd moved to West Brom in the summer then he'd have struggled and would've been branded flop like Karlan Grant has been who scored at similar rate in championship for Huddersfield.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Dele was only one who hit the ground running. Delph started the opening game of 2009/10 season struggled and then unsurprisingly was a bench player for the rest of the season bar the odd start in cups. Then had a couple of bad injuries and only really became genuinely good prem midfield halfway through 12/13 season.

Westwood actually hadn't played much in league one, he was part of Crewe team promoted from league 2 in summer 2012. Again took a few months to settle in but was regular in team from November onwards and did fine.

Actually think Toney did the right sort of move. If he'd moved to West Brom in the summer then he'd have struggled and would've been branded flop like Karlan Grant has been who scored at similar rate in championship for Huddersfield.

Off the top of my head, so I didn't remember Delph not having much impact first season. Conversely Westwood rather proves my point that there is lower league talent ready to step up (well some will argue that he didn't) if he came even directly from League Two.

I agree about Toney having a year in the Championship, I just mean that if we could identify those players we could buy them cheap at that stage in their career and loan them out down there straightaway. Brentford looks like the perfect move for him, and I know they wouldn't be taking players on loan but other clubs would.

It's against our transfer policy; and it's also against my re-signing a player policy...

But Idrissa Gueye is available from PSG; no idea how much they are looking for.

He would be an ideal player to bring in with the possibility of Luiz leaving in the Summer. I also think he would be the perfect player for Nakamba to learn from.

I would imagine the fee, for a 31 year old, and the wages would be a stumbling block.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MentalM said:

Equally curious if Guilbert, Engels, Hourihane, Kalinic or Lansbury will leave us

I think one of them will, out the blue. Hasn’t Kalinic already gone? Sure I read he’s gone abroad.

Edited by 7392craig

Linked to Joshua King again. Maybe not the most exciting option, but makes sense. Proved that the can score goals on the top level, free agent in the summer so probably cut-price, wages probably not too high, Norwegian 🇳🇴💪. Deano been talking about looking for value for money deals. 

Would be a good competitor for Watkins, and make it easier to take him off when tired or not performing. But not an improvement on him

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

It's against our transfer policy; and it's also against my re-signing a player policy...

But Idrissa Gueye is available from PSG; no idea how much they are looking for.

He would be an ideal player to bring in with the possibility of Luiz leaving in the Summer. I also think he would be the perfect player for Nakamba to learn from.

I would imagine the fee, for a 31 year old, and the wages would be a stumbling block.

He was excellent for us in a terrible side (IMO) and is just the sort of player that would give us some real options. The issue here is if he'd be cool with being a rotation option and not a first teamer because I'm not sure he would be.