Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

59 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Only thing I worry with that IF true (it's the Mirror) is they're both number 10 creative types from what I've seen (much more of Brooks tbh) so suggests we won't bother signing Barkley full time and/or Jack will be off in the summer.

Seems interesting to stockpile that position when we don't need to do it in the short term as good as those two are.

Brooks can fill in out wide but he's better centrally.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What I love about all the players we sign these days is they are young with lots of potential to improve and grow. It’s such a refreshing change to the years of signing players with only a few years left to offer. 

We only did that under Bruce really and even then he picked up likes of McGinn.

2012-13 intake had Bacuna, Helenius, Okore, Weswood, Bennett, Lowton etc all early 20s. Then 2015 intake were all pretty young apart from Gana.

As ever it's about the quality and also having a good set of players at the club already so we have that now.

Brooks is an extremely left footed player that plays predominantly off the right wing and doesn't have a tonne of pace.

Doesn't this forum already have Traore to write off for those reasons? 👀

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

We only did that under Bruce really and even then he picked up likes of McGinn.

2012-13 intake had Bacuna, Helenius, Okore, Weswood, Bennett, Lowton etc all early 20s. Then 2015 intake were all pretty young apart from Gana.

As ever it's about the quality and also having a good set of players at the club already so we have that now.

Yeh I was probably thinking back further than than. Both Gregory and MON as successful as they both were bought a lot of players in their peak and gave them long expensive contracts. Great for a season of two, not so good after that.

• Like 1

I'd imagine jack was made promises about the quality of player he'd play alongside should he commit. Jack is smart enough to know that takes time. 

I think we are in for some exciting windows in terms of the level of plsyer - both established starters and squad players with huge potential that we will start bringing in

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Most predictable comment.... ever....

Could also mean Lansbury, Hourihane and/or Trez/ Anwar off in the summer? lol

Could also mean we are trying to build a squad of talent, depth and variety for now and the future.

You think we would be potentially signing Brookes/Olise as Jacks replacement? Really?

Brooks is the sort who can start off wide but likes to cut in and run centrally.

I guess given we were in for he who shall not be named from Bremen that we started wanted another midfield type like that in the last window although think Barkley has solved that.

I do get making sure we're well stocked in the attacking positions but I wouldn't say it's a pressing concern given the from El Ghazi and Traore in recent weeks.

Bit odd to be stockpiling loads of attacking midfielders all of a sudden yet apparently there's no decent CF in world football who can provide a good alternative to Ollie for rest of the season.

Guess DS really does see Traore as capable of filling in at CF but I have my doubts on that one.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Olise I can understand, Brooks looks a decent player but Bournemouth are chasing promotion and I'm not sure where he would fit in the squad.  At least it's some links to talk about.

TBF Reading are in 5th only 1 point behind Bournemouth so they might not want to sell either. 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

fully agree, at the moment we can put him on if chasing a goal but thats probably it at the moment. He looked like a little kid vs Liverpool centre backs who arent that well built compared to other defenders

Whilst I agree with the first point, re the bold bit he outmuscled a larger stronger defender and then showed excellent pace and power to get away. 

I think there's a misconception - some of us who think he should be around the first team are not saying he should be starting games. Or getting an extended run. I hope so anyway.

What I'm saying is he should get a taste of training with the first team and he should between now and end of season get a total of about 45 minutes first team action split between 5/6 games. I genuinely believe he'll get a goal or two. The kid is special.

I think @JAMAICAN-VILLAN mentioned Messi in his post..... Well they've both been trained by the Barca coaches 😜

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Whilst I agree with the first point, re the bold bit he outmuscled a larger stronger defender and then showed excellent pace and power to get away. 

If I'm honest I wouldn't say he " out muscled him " at all, he out smarted him.

He ran across and under him intelligently. Like a little pest. Lol

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If I'm honest I wouldn't say he " out muscled him " at all, he out smarted him.

He ran across and under him intelligently. Like a little pest. Lol

Funnily enough I was just watching the goal again totally forgot about the 12/13 passes before hand. However I stand by the outmuscled bit but I'll add he definitely did outsmart him too.

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

Olise is someone we should buy regardless of if he is a priority signing or not, he has the potential to be a top of the tree talent and for the apparent 8m release clause you don't need to think about it twice.

Brooks is obviously a good player but I would urge caution, for the region of fee he would cost you could also get Buendia, Sarr, Brandt or Rashica and the first 3 are all definitely better players.

It is probably paper talk anyway, but it's something to mull over in the dark month of January at least.

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

How good is Olise?

Very good for his age, he COULD be a player who becomes an extremely good player, you would take 8 million pound bets on these kinds of players hand over fist if the opportunity arose often.

• Like 1

Also I just want to say I am seeing comments about our youth players being part of the first team options...

Just no! They need to go out and play mens football for a season to be blooded, whoever makes it through that step can be reassessed.

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Remember that post I made about us being too quick to BOTH write players off AND hail them the new Messiah?

Again, we can all see the kid has the mentality, speed, composure, and finishing instinct to be a brilliant forward.

However, good god man, he is a kid!

He would get ragdolled all over the place as a full PL striker right now, especially in our current system.

As I said yesterday, look how hard the likes of Watkins, a full grown man has to fight against giants week in week out just to get a sniff.

Allow the experts to develop him as they currently are, allow him to grow into  his body, He is no Wayne Rooney at 16 physically, or Michael Owen yet.

You can actually damage a young player by chucking them in too early.

It's romantic but we also need to exercise some caution here.

All IMO of course!

spacer.png

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

How good is Olise?

I’ve seen a couple of reading games on sky in full and both times he was a stand out player. He’s got a really good weight of pass and reads the game very well indeed. 

• Like 1