Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Just been going through the list of forwards in the Prem to find a striker we could loan or buy realistically and genuinely there is nobody.

Vinicius, Austin (about to go on loan to QPR) and Benteke is practically it and not sure they're reasonable either. No great options for a 6 month loan or cheap transfer to do a job for a year or so.

Mitrovic maybe? He'd be a different option but not sure I want him in our side.

Sturridge? As above..

Really really slim pickings

Just look abroad. Club Brugge signed Bas Dost from Wolfsburg for 4m the other day, he'd actually have been a very good pick up as squad player for plenty of premier league clubs given his scoring record over last 5 years so they are out there and don't all cost 30m +.

I agree there isn't much in premier league and not like many clubs will loan us a player given how well we've done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

While I agree with most I do not agree with Barry bit, he could play in the first team and quite easily to be fair. You dont go scoring goals like that against a liverpool side who are full of first eleven and class names all while playing alongside Youth. You have to be a special talent to go do that and Barry is clearly one of them. You shouldn't wrap him up, he doesnt need sending on loan. Baryy should be around the first team and even get some game time against better opponents it's where hes at now. Hes a young lad who is very ready to take on better opposition and you have to relise when in the stage of someone's career it's right to help propel them in an upwards trajectory and the timing is right for Smith to do that with Barry.

Why do we have to be the club that holds Youth back Arsenal, Pool, UTD, chelsea and spurs do not. We keep talking about sending them on loan or they should not even be near the first team, yet if they can perform against the leagues no1 team, they can certainly fit into our first 25 squad with ease. Our club in the past has been so reluctant to bring youth through and while sometimes it's understandable some times, in some cases it's also holding them back to much. we are holding onto them tightly and months or years go by and we end up having to release them because they didnt come through at the right time, this needs to change.

Sorry mate, I just don’t see it with Barry.....yet. The lad has some talent and it was a well taken goal. However, he is nowhere near first team football yet, especially with the way we need our CF to play. Some fans are saying that he should play as Rooney and Owen played first team football at his age, 17. Totally different levels of player in regards to physicality (Rooney was a ‘man’ at 17) and pace (Owen was lightning at that age). Barry has a nice touch and a decent turn of pace but he is miles away from those 2. Don’t get me wrong, he has serious potential but that is all it is at the moment - any thing more and Smith I’m sure would be picking him or at least get him training every week with the first team squad. A loan next season even to a League 2 team would do wonders for his development and then we will start to see if he really could make it. 

In the meantime, we are desperate for another striker as even now Ollie could have Covid and be out for weeks. We simply must sign one this month - prob a loan to see us through until Summer. Imperative, IMO. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Remember that post I made about us being too quick to BOTH write players off AND hail them the new Messiah?

Again, we can all see the kid has the mentality, speed, composure, and finishing instinct to be a brilliant forward.

However, good god man, he is a kid!

He would get ragdolled all over the place as a full PL striker right now, especially in our current system.

As I said yesterday, look how hard the likes of Watkins, a full grown man has to fight against giants week in week out just to get a sniff.

Allow the experts to develop him as they currently are, allow him to grow into  his body, He is no Wayne Rooney at 16 physically, or Michael Owen yet.

You can actually damage a young player by chucking them in too early.

It's romantic but we also need to exercise some caution here.

All IMO of course!

fully agree, at the moment we can put him on if chasing a goal but thats probably it at the moment. He looked like a little kid vs Liverpool centre backs who arent that well built compared to other defenders

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 16:58, Laughable Chimp said:

Whatever happens, left back is the next priority position so if possible I'd like for us to be able to sign someone there. He doesn't even have to be an improvement to Targett, just a good enough backup to replace Taylor.

A striker has to be miles more important.

18 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

A striker has to be miles more important.

Nah, Watkins is great and call me crazy but I still have hope in Davis as a backup, well more than I do Taylor as a backup. And if worse comes to bear, we can always put Traore up there. He has experience as a forward and his goal talley this season has been pretty great so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Nah, Watkins is great and call me crazy but I still have hope in Davis as a backup, well more than I do Taylor as a backup. And if worse comes to bear, we can always put Traore up there. He has experience as a forward and his goal talley this season has been pretty great so far.

See, to me you can use the exact same arguement for left back. Targett is great. Taylor is shite, but essily better left back than Traore is a striker.  Mings can as well, and at a pinch Freddy and Elmo.

I rate Davis, but I think he would benefit from a loan. Not to mention he is only fit 5 minutes a month.

9 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Just came to post this. It's The Mirror, so you know... It's probably bollocks. But both of those would be very good pickups and address two issues we have. I'd be impressed if we got both. I'm not sure Brooks is really what we need but can't deny he's talented so couldn't complain.

It does also feel like a 'Heres two kids who could move in a slow transfer window... Whose got some money and is likely to go for younger players? Villa will do nicely..' kind of story to though

14 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I mean. It's 99% probably guff.

But that's it. That's two players, in positions we need at the right age who will get better.

I'll piss my pants if we get either.

13 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Crazy

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Would be great to pickup one of them, let alone both. 

And isn't Neil Moxley pretty decently reputable? 

That reading lad is highly rated but never seen him play.

Sorry but really don't rate brooks. Obv reserve judgement until we sign etc but he's no upgrade on trez or traore for me