Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I’ve clearly played too much FM this Christmas but Costa would be absolutely perfect. I can dream.

Apparently he is a lovely guy off the field as well.  The way he acts on the field and given he looks like he'd eat your first child and play kick about with your second child's head, that really surprised me but apparently so.

I dont think we'd be interested in him for a couple of reasons and not sure he'd be interested in us but I wouldnt be against it if he did end up coming if both parties wanted it to happen.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Apparently he is a lovely guy off the field as well.  The way he acts on the field and given he looks like he'd eat your first child and play kick about with your second child's head, that really surprised me but apparently so.

I dont think we'd be interested in him for a couple of reasons and not sure he'd be interested in us but I wouldnt be against it if he did end up coming if both parties wanted it to happen.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s about as likely to happen as Sheff United stopping up. 

• Like 2

Part of me would love Costa on a short term deal. What a statement signing it would be.

On the other hand it also smacks of something a Xia type owner would do.  An emotional throw your money at signing for headlines without considering impact on the team and our wage structure. 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Part of me would love Costa on a short term deal. What a statement signing it would be.

On the other hand it also smacks of something a Xia type owner would do.  An emotional throw your money at signing for headlines without considering impact on the team and our wage structure. 

I respectfully disagree with this because he's got the Terry connection. Then there's his Brazilian roots so would possibly benefit Luiz and Wesley possibly. Of course there's the Instagram interaction between him and Terry when he said take me with you (or something). 

Like yourself most of us are thinking a short term deal is a win win for all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Really? I wouldn't think so. Strikes me of the sort of signing we would make before where we threw money on old has beens. It's not like he's been the player he was in quite some time. 10 goals in 50 + matches over 3 seasons for one of the best teams in the world? 

We just need a younger talent to rotate Watkins with from time to time. Costa would a be a no from me. 

Costa would be our best CF if he signed ... if we can fit his wages into our  structure and he is hungry to come and play for us then would be supportive of Dean & Co if  they took the gamble... His off field problems at Chelsea were a one of as far as I can tell and down to Conte.

59 minutes ago, nick76 said:

There was a Twitter exchange between him and JT about a month ago.

JT said " Miss you brother " and he responded something along the lines of " Bring me where you are ". Who knows 🤔

Short term deal till the end of the season, while Wesley recovers, and learns.

Surely we could do much worse?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

You have to question why his contract was terminated. It’s not something a club does lightly. 

12 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Really? I wouldn't think so. Strikes me of the sort of signing we would make before where we threw money on old has beens. It's not like he's been the player he was in quite some time. 10 goals in 50 + matches over 3 seasons for one of the best teams in the world? 

We just need a younger talent to rotate Watkins with from time to time. Costa would a be a no from me. 

Yeh the other part of me agrees with you. Just doesn’t fit with the way we do things now. 

He is only 32 though and when he is on his game. What a player. 

21 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I respectfully disagree with this because he's got the Terry connection. Then there's his Brazilian roots so would possibly benefit Luiz and Wesley possibly. Of course there's the Instagram interaction between him and Terry when he said take me with you (or something). 

Like yourself most of us are thinking a short term deal is a win win for all.

Fair points. I’m sure if we ever did go in for his his personality would have been carefully considered and Terry would have vouched for him. 

His wage demands would be ridiculous though. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

He’s well past his best, on huge wages, is a horrible bastard on the pitch.

Imho a few of our players could do with a bit more of a nasty streak. I’m thinking the likes of Matty Targett, Ollie Watkins. Nothing against either of them but Targett is a bit soft and Watkins should be less honest in front of goal.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

There was a Twitter exchange between him and JT about a month ago.

JT said " Miss you brother " and he responded something along the lines of " Bring me where you are ". Who knows 🤔

Short term deal till the end of the season, while Wesley recovers, and learns.

Surely we could do much worse?

Costa clearly likes Terry. He will know how nice VP is and maybe know about BH. He'll know about a few of our players and our recent resurgence and financial muscle. It could come down to us and Woofs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Costa would be our best CF if he signed ... if we can fit his wages into our  structure and he is hungry to come and play for us then would be supportive of Dean & Co if  they took the gamble... His off field problems at Chelsea were a one of as far as I can tell and down to Conte.

He would not be our best forward at all he’s stopped scoring in his 30’s

If we wanted to sign him for 6 months then whatever but I would be dead against an 18 month deal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

He would not be our best forward at all he’s stopped scoring in his 30’s

If we wanted to sign him for 6 months then whatever but I would be dead against an 18 month deal.

We’re not even going to sign him for 6 months at £200k+ a week just to sit on the bench.

32 minutes ago, rayk said:

We’re not even going to sign him for 6 months at £200k+ a week just to sit on the bench.

I don't want him but I wouldn't be upset about a 6 month deal, that's all I am saying.

I think signing Costa depends on a number of things. 

Is Wesley going to be back this season and if so when? Additionally do the medical team and coaches think he can come back effectively or at all?

The recruitment team’s and coaches’ assessment of Costa. I would imagine JT would have a big input into this. 

Costa’s attitude to coming. Does he want to be a short term piece of our project. Does he genuinely feel he can be an effective part of the squad and not insignificantly how much money does he want to exchange for his time and skills? 

Do we have anyone else that we may be lining up as a strike partner/back up to Ollie? If anyone?

8 hours ago, sne said:

I'm certain there will be deals to be had. Apparently Renato Sanches is available for as little as£18m which would be a steal. Lille is one of the clubs who are forced to sell, and pretty much only PSG will be unfazed by this TV situation.

Hes got a bad injury record Sanchez has, hes been doing good mind you but its if the risk versus reward pays off for Villa.