Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

How much money can we realistically spend in this window?

We are almost in a Randy Lerner 2009/10 situation right now; where a quality player could push us to the next level.

A world class striker and probably a world class winger would probably ensure European football next season.

When I say world class I mean walking into this team and being the best player (Grealish aside).

If we can go out and drop some big money on a winger/striker, and sort a loan deal out for the other then we need to do it.

As I mentioned I don't know how realistic this is.

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

How much money can we realistically spend in this window?

We are almost in a Randy Lerner 2009/10 situation right now; where a quality player could push us to the next level.

A world class striker and probably a world class winger would probably ensure European football next season.

When I say world class I mean walking into this team and being the best player (Grealish aside).

If we can go out and drop some big money on a winger/striker, and sort a loan deal out for the other then we need to do it.

As I mentioned I don't know how realistic this is.

We need to do what Leicester did with Tielemans. Try to bring in a quality young player on loan with an option to buy.

Given the financial situation of clubs it might be possible.

• Like 3

On 31/12/2020 at 12:09, sne said:

Mentioned him loads of time but I'd be delighted if we could sign Isak Bergmann-Johannesson from IFK Norrköping. (Son of our old player Joey Guðjónsson)

Smashing young player and extremely versatile, think he's played every position except GK for Norrköping in the top flight and he's still only 17

We can't sign 17 year olds from overseas. That's part of the new post-Brexit visa rules. We also won't be able to sign him when he turns 18 either, unless he leaves his Swedish club and joins a league that gets more visa points.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Shoulda gone all in on Tammy. 

Early 20s England international at Chelsea who they dont want to sell. Probably talking 60-70million transfer fee for an unproven top level striker 

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Diego Costa until the end of the season is a no brainer. Even if it's to help Watkins for the nuances of the game.

A week ago I would have said this was nuts but now I’d be all for it. Not sure what that says about my judgment now or then!

49 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

A week ago I would have said this was nuts but now I’d be all for it. Not sure what that says about my judgment now or then!

The way I'm looking at it is he's vastly experienced a proven winner and has something we are lacking - bite (although some might say Suarez is better for this!!!). 

He'll raise the level of the squad even by his presence on the training field. A better option than Davis from the bench and can start the odd game too. Big wages but as a short term option he'll improve us.

• Like 2

We could spend 200 million without buying really expensive players, don’t forget premier league teams in the top half have benches worth hundreds of millions.

No idea what we have to spend and I’ve no idea how much more money the owners are willing to bankroll.

Our market is 10-30 million pound players and we could do with them all over the pitch as we are something like 10 short of a squad full of quality capable of breaking into the top 6 on a regular basis. 
In my opinion looking further past what happens this season (my hope was 50 points and I think we will do that without additions) we should simply look to buy players as the opportunities arrive.

Often these will be players of high promise, with something to prove and often players playing in the championship.

Arrons (Norwich), Buendia (Norwich), Olise (Reading), Tuanzebe (Man Utd) and Wijndal (AZ)

I believe those are the best options for the next best part of 100 million.

It fully kits out the defence allowing us to sell Guilbert and Engels for modest fees and deals with the loss of Elmo and Taylor at the end of the year. The only improvement that could be made after that would be a very high quality signing.

Buendia as everyone knows is a class player and exactly what we need on the right hand side, he can play at 10 and allows Traore to also play at 10. Buying him allows us to sell a wide player for a decent fee.

Olise looks different class, this could be a world class player in the not to distant future and I’d rather buy someone like him instead of Barkley who will cost more in terms of a fee and wages, is significantly older and injury prone.

Even having done that it would be easy to spend another hundred in a similar way.

What I will say is if our present spending continues and purchases like these are made over the next couple of years when we get rid of players significant fees are going to be coming in and it makes those very high quality players more affordable or if we keep going after similar quality players we will be a much more viable business than we are currently.

• Like 4

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

The way I'm looking at it is he's vastly experienced a proven winner and has something we are lacking - bite (although some might say Suarez is better for this!!!). 

He'll raise the level of the squad even by his presence on the training field. A better option than Davis from the bench and can start the odd game too. Big wages but as a short term option he'll improve us.

He allows Davis to go out and prove himself if you have him on a 6 month deal, that’s the best thing I have to say about a deal for someone like him.

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

We could spend 200 million without buying really expensive players, don’t forget premier league teams in the top half have benches worth hundreds of millions.

No idea what we have to spend and I’ve no idea how much more money the owners are willing to bankroll.

Our market is 10-30 million pound players and we could do with them all over the pitch as we are something like 10 short of a squad full of quality capable of breaking into the top 6 on a regular basis. 
In my opinion looking further past what happens this season (my hope was 50 points and I think we will do that without additions) we should simply look to buy players as the opportunities arrive.

Often these will be players of high promise, with something to prove and often players playing in the championship.

Arrons (Norwich),  Buendia (Norwich), Olise (Reading), Tuanzebe (Man Utd) and Wijndal (AZ)

I believe those are the best options for the next best part of 100 million.

It fully kits out the defence allowing us to sell Guilbert and Engels for modest fees and deals with the loss of Elmo and Taylor at the end of the year. The only improvement that could be made after that would be a very high quality signing.

Buendia as everyone knows is a class player and exactly what we need on the right hand side, he can play at 10 and allows Traore to also play at 10. Buying him allows us to sell a wide player for a decent fee.

Olise looks different class, this could be a world class player in the not to distant future and I’d rather buy someone like him instead of Barkley who will cost more in terms of a fee and wages, is significantly older and injury prone.

Even having done that it would be easy to spend another hundred in a similar way.

What I will say is if our present spending continues and purchases like these are made over the next couple of years when we get rid of players significant fees are going to be coming in and it makes those very high quality players more affordable or if we keep going after similar quality players we will be a much more viable business than we are currently.

Buendia would be £40million (various reports), Arrons has been quoted at £20million plus and is on the radar of many more established teams than us, and Tuanzebe has knees made up of Weetabix.

Olise and Wijdnal are good players that will improve us. Harry Souttar is a far cheaper and better alternative than Tuanzebe. And instead of Buendia France has many normally expensive players available for cheap. RB Salzburg's forwards are good too and they usually have release clauses that aren't that high relatively speaking.

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Buendia would be £40million (various reports), Arrons has been quoted at £20million plus and is on the radar of many more established teams than us, and Tuanzebe has knees made up of Weetabix.

Olise and Wijdnal are good players that will improve us. Harry Souttar is a far cheaper and better alternative than Tuanzebe. And instead of Buendia France has many normally expensive players available for cheap. RB Salzburg's forwards are good too and they usually have release clauses that aren't that high relatively speaking.

Buendia might be that high, personally I don't think it would go above 35 and maybe 30.

Having said that the lot of them still won't exceed 100m.

Tuanzebe doesn't have dodgy knees or any recurring injury problem.

Would love is to sign Florian Thauvin as or winger option. He's getting straight into the first team, think he's really improved since his Newcastle days.

Striker would be Parson Daka. Both are probably unrealistic but are the type of calibre we need to push on.

53 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/axel-tuanzebe/verletzungen/spieler/342046

He was out with a minor injury recently too it's on the Manchester version of the Birmingham mail. 54 league games missed in the last 2 years.

Screenshot_20210102-030437_Chrome.jpg

Bone injury, separate bone injury, a hamstring and an unknown.

That isn't the same as a constant knee injury on the same leg, or repeated hamstrings etc.

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

We can't sign 17 year olds from overseas. That's part of the new post-Brexit visa rules. We also won't be able to sign him when he turns 18 either, unless he leaves his Swedish club and joins a league that gets more visa points.

I don't know for sure (and I haven't read up yet so it might not make a difference anyway) but he might have a British passport. He was born here. 

• Thanks 1

We need a quality winger. While AEG has scored 5 goals, both scrappy and excellent, he just isn't consistent or good enough for where we want to be. He's shown he can come in and be a rotation option, but that's it. 

Traore just isn't a winger. Period. Let him rotate with Barkley and Ramsey and get a new winger in.

Looking at the work rate of both these players defensively yesterday made me miss Trez a lot. And it's not like they did a whole lot offensively either. 

10 hours ago, Genie said:

We’ve spent north of £60m on Wes, Samatta and Watkins. Surely we could have got a proper, proven front man for that kind of money. 

I think Watkins is ok at this level, it’s his first season in the prem after all. I do think we need another striker though. Someone more clinical. I just don’t see Davis as the game changer. 

• Like 1